Used 2007 Chevrolet Aveo Aveo5 Special Value Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2007 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Very dependable and great on gas!
By amack1

2007 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love my little Aveo, I bought it brand new in April of 2007 and the only things I've had to do where get the valve cover replaced (under warranty), change a relay switch which cost me less than $20, wheel bearings at 60k and regular maintenance. I've used mobil 1 in my car since the day I brought it home, literally and I've had no problems! It is fun to drive, the easiest 5 speed I swear, I just changed the brakes for the 1st time at 90k miles. (you don't use much with a stick). It has been very reliable and great on gas, i usually get 35-37 mpg, never under 32mpg. If you treat it right, it will return the favor!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage; 35-37mpg regularly Easy to drive Fits a ton in the back when you put the seats down! Enough pep to get you on the interstate and moving with traffic in no time Easy to change oil and easy to reach anything under the hood if needed

Suggested Improvements

Windows fog up when it rains and snows No A/C on the SVM other than that I've found the Aveo 5 SVM to be a great little car and extremely reliable.

Not bad for the price
By Al in Texas

2007 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a 2007 Aveo as a year-end clearout. After rebates (factory and GM Card), I drove out of the dealership with a new car for around $7000. Not bad! Problems: Engine light came on three times before dealer was able to fix a coolant leak. All work under warranty. Otherwise, car has been reliable transportation. Average 33 mpg with mostly freeway driving.

Favorite Features

Had a 97 Geo Metro before this. Surprised at how much better the Aveo is. More refined, more standard features--not class leader, but better. Good mpg for the price, but could be better. Nice cup holders :)

Suggested Improvements

Seats can be a bit uncomfortable for long drives; need better side bolsters. Car whistles at wind speed above 80 mph. Not sure from where; I think the window. A sixth or taller final gear would help improve mileage even more. Car this size should get 38 mpg, not just 33.

Cheap Car (Junk)
By Chevyman

2007 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I Bought my Aveo in Jan. 2009, I put a lot of miles on a car, I was hoping that this car would be dependable cheap transportation, not the case at all. My 2008 has been at the Chevy dealer more in the past two months, than at my house. Gas mileage has dropped, multiple idiot lights on, worst one is the engine light, they have replace multiple components, still not fixed lucky for me it was a "certified" car and I still had a little bit of warranty on it, I am sure the bill would exceed what the car is worth. I am a Chevy guy, I have to say this is the worst piece of crap that Chevy has ever put their bow tie on, I would recommend this car to my ex-wife enough said. Also Horrible in snow.

Favorite Features

I like the color, mine is Blue, I like the fact that it is a 5 speed, can't hardly find standard shift cars any more, not sure why, they usually get better gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Make this car DEPENDABLE! Add standard air conditioning, move the antenna, it whistles at you while on the highway. Get rid of the standard 14" wheels and crap tires, this car is horrible in the snow.

Cheap transportation
By dleebold

2007 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought aveo used with 21,000 miles. Had new front brakes and rotors installed because the rotors were warped. So far it's been a good car. Fun to drive, easy on gas, and I'm 6,2" and it's easy for me to get in and out. For a small car, interior has a lot of room. Easy to get around in snow. I would buy another.

Good, if it weren't for the problems
By frustrated owner

2007 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Should have known when I picked up the 1 year old used car from the dealer with the check engine light on (throttle body). Then 6 months later, needed a new cylinder head (valve sealing issues causing misfires). Then timing belt tensioner problem (noisy), then drivebelt tensioner (noisy), then brakes (vibration), and now throttle body engine error codes again. All warranty except the brakes(free for me, apart from not having the car). Service is doing what they can, but the car has been in service for about 10% of the time I have owned it! Good thing I have a reliable 11 year old backup car. Problems seem to be focused in specific areas...

Favorite Features

- interior well layed out - good mileage (not amazing, but good) - inexpensive parts - handles bumps well (in terms of ride) - auto transmission (shifts firmly, but well) - turning radius (easy to park) - easy owner maintenance (easy to work on) - inexpensive - audio system - seats/comfort

Suggested Improvements

- soundproofing improvements (noisy) - reliability - cornering/maneuverability (it leans heavily) - better tires does help - engine noise (lots of noise, but not a lot of go) - visibility to the back/sides is partially obscured