2006 Chevrolet Aveo LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2006 Aveo Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Sort Reviews by

All and all pretty good....
By soccerguy

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My car is an auto not stick shift. I bought my Aveo used with 63,000 miles on it. I have had it 4 years and now have 97,000. I am pleased with this car. I have kept up with the normal stuff including timing belt, transmission & radiator service. I need to get front struts replaced which I know some have complained about but I think almost 100,000 miles is a decent lifespan. I am a little disappointed in the around town MPG but the highway is 35 MPG which is awesome. This is a no frills car but it does the job for me. Yes the inside is plastic everywhere and heck I have manual windows but it gets me where I need to go. Have the car properly serviced and you should do fine.

Favorite Features

Highway MPG Handling, you can fit this car anywhere Decent traction in snow.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they still made them. This is a perfect second vehicle. We have a minivan that has all the bells and whistles, this car is great for A - B traveling.

Not bad.
By synfulangel

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 92k miles on it. Ran great. We had an over heat issue and had to replace top end. After that we have not had a single issue with the motor or the anything else. These cars can not be handled rough don't stomp on the gas at stop light it can't handle that. If you want one to do that get the manual shift and upgrade the entire motor to do so. Love the Gas mileage The car gets 39 miles to the gallon better than any car i have had. It runs perfect now and has over 115k miles on the lower end of the motor.

Favorite Features

Driver and passenger seats they are comfortable, and it is easy for me to put my son's car seat in and pull it out. The leg room is nice. Its easy to replace the transmission filter, oil, Throttle body. love the fact it is higher than most cars it's size makes it easier for snow, and crossing small creeks.

Unbearable Engine Noise on Highway
By Anonymous

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My biggest complaint on this car is: it desperatly needs another gear. I believe it was built for roads in it's home country of Korea because it is comfortable and quite until you hit 70MPH+ Then it is tough to control in all but ideal wind conditions and extremely noisey. It stands at about 3500 RPM when driving 72MPH. This generates unacceptable cabin engine noise. Another factor begging for another trans. gear is the only mediocre gas mileage on the highway. I usually get 35-36 on the highway. When I drive 60 on back roads I can get 40MPG, so I know the car is built for a lower operating speed. Look for an escort, fusion, or malibu; they are designed better for highway driving.

Favorite Features

MP3 CD is nice. Stick Shift has great pick up and go. I usually get about 29MPG just running around town. Great interior and trunk space for it's class.

Suggested Improvements

6 SPEED TRANS, or higher gearing!!!! It should run at like 2600-2800 RPM at 75MPH.

I like it!
By happy camper

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the car exactly 4 years and like it. Aveo LT was sold out, so I had after-factory door locks, car alarm, & windows put onto car. The car runs great, is fairly low maintenance. I've not had my key stick, or any of the other issues that I see written about. I know when things go wrong, we tend to be more vocal about it, but I wanted you to know that others DO mostly like their Aveos.

Favorite Features

This car handled well, had regular maintenance as recommended, & is lasting wonderfully. After 3 1/2 years, I needed new tires, front end alignment over the normal maint.

Suggested Improvements

Drink holder shouldn't be over ashtray, junk holder. Too easy to spill on something. Gas mileage wasn't as good as it was supposed to be. I did get 27-28 mpg though, with in-city freeway driving.

Great gas mileage Key Stuck
By bionicguru

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I easily get the 35 miles per US gallon stated in the heat of the summer but only about 30 mpg in winter. If you get the sport package the cheapest tires i could find were $166 each. My key did get stuck and would not come out. This was a bad solenoid in the shifter assembly and was covered under the powertrain warranty. If this happens to you You can remove the key by pushing the shifter all the way to the left and turning the key at the same time and the key will release.

Favorite Features

Mp3 stereo. Handles great with sport package

Suggested Improvements

Brake pedal hard to press and foot can get stuck when wearing work boots.

Lil Blue Aveo
By BM

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Well I bought this new for my 16 yr old as a first car. I wanted her to have something new, reliable, and warrantied. So far, so good. She has been driving it about 50K miles and 3.5 years with no mechanical issues. She has had some brim and tire issues though. Chevy didn't want to hear anything about it though. After about 16K miles the tires were bald as a babies butt. She purchased some 40K Firestones and they are lasting. I was thinking it was a normal junky chevy front end or junky calipers etc ruining the tires but I guess it was the "no good" stock tires they put on it. Anyway, She has rode this sucker pretty hard in 3.5 years. She has been "ramming like a teenager".

Favorite Features

Decent gas mileage maybe 35 mph (Highway), cool interior, roomy interior and reliability overall.

Suggested Improvements

Junk stock tires, small tires, cheap steel rims that bend easy (didn't have room earlier to mention) and Chevy won't replace. Body easily dented

Dont buy this junk.
By jerseyjoe

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I guess the old saying is you get what you pay for. Well in 2007 I bought a 2006 aveo with 16, ooo miles on it and its been in the shop every few months for one thing or another. 1st thing was bad a/c compressor. 2nd thing was faulty computer-and now that the 3 year warranty is up and the vehicle only having 27,000 miles the freeze plug went on it causing the car to over heat blowing the head gasket, so I have a 3 year old car with 27,000 miles that needs a new engine, this car is not reliable or safe. Do yourself a favor and dont but this car. Its imported junk with a Chevy emblem on it. No Wonder gm went bankrupt.

Favorite Features

trunk and interior space.

Suggested Improvements

the whole car needs improvements from power train to body design.

It "sips" the gas
By Avalon1

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car as a rental return not expecting too much for an econo-box. I have been pleasantly surprised. On a trip to sf (253 mile) we got 41 mi to the gallon. The pick-up is zippy and have had no problems in two years. There have been some minor electrical glitches, but no worse than any other car. Get real, this is a cheap car, take what you get. If it is a lemon make some noise. Americans all want a Mercedes for escort price.

Favorite Features

Interior roomy Nice pick up great MPG Good visibility,AC good

Suggested Improvements

Better handling in the wind. Improved electrical

Driver's view
By sailor3

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have been extremely happy with this vehicle. I have made two trips from Frederick Maryland to Florida. On one trip I drove across Interstate 75 at 75 mph on that trip I averaged 35 mpg. I drove to North Carolina and averaged 32 mpg. These are actual driving figures not EPA fudged figures. In city driving my average mile is 25 mpg. My only complaint is with the Cruise Control set up. Having the button under the switch that must be pressed to use the on off switch on the top of the steering wheel is a stupid design.

Favorite Features

The adjustable height of the drivers seat and the intermittent wipers.

Suggested Improvements

Either move the switch that has to be closed to use the activation switch on the steering wheel to a better location or eliminate it altogether, possibly combine its function with the on off switch.

The Worst Car Ever
By Erin

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Ever since I bought this car, it has been in the shop over and over again. I have had transmission problems, wiring problems, engine problems....you name it. And, for some of the issues, I had to take it in two, three, or four times before they could find the problem. For instance, I was driving around with a bad throttle body for 2.5 years before they found the problem. And, I took it in because a lot of my lights were not working, and there was a wiring problem. After 3 visits, the wiring is still not correct, but they say it is. When I took it in bc of the wiring, they realized my gearshift was bad, and they had to replace it. This is a warning to everybody out there, do not buy an Aveo.

Favorite Features

Roomy Interior...yeah, I think that's it.

Suggested Improvements

The biggest thing is to fix the wiring problem. I am not the only person who has had this issue. There are so many things, and this thing won't give me room to say it all.... My only suggestion is to just recall the piece of junk you call a car.