Used 2006 Chevrolet Aveo LS Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

good starter car
By owensmommy2011

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 3 years now. I don't have too many problems with it. But it is rather. Cheap. mine has only basic features radio only and manual windows/locks. however i'm glad that i can only lock the driver door from the outside. I'm prone to locking the keys in the car. Since becoming a parent we have realized how small it really it. A car seat just squeezes in when rear facing. The smallnes of the car also concerns me when other idiot drivers don't see you around them. We are now looking to trade up to something bigger. Our gas milage itsn't great either.

Suggested Improvements

better gas milage. better engine parts.

Dependable but Disappointed
By bab

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a fully loaded Chevy Impala for this car when gas went above $4 a gallon. The Impala was getting 22 mpg city and was very very comfortable. With the Aveo, what was advertised on the window sticker, is not what I got. I usually get between 25 to 27 in the city and 30 on the highway. I should have kept my Impala. Aveo alarm goes off for no reason. I looked this problem up on the internet an nobody could get dealer to fix. One guy said to lock it with the key instead of the fob and that has resolved my problem 99% of the time. Now the hood latch is broke. Can't open back up at all. I've kept this serviced as required over the years so I'm praying it lasts me 4 to 5 more years.

Favorite Features

It still runs, I haven't been squashed like a bug yet in any mishaps, holds dents well, love the black tar on the yellow car, two drink holders right over the ashtray (where I keep my spare change) are awesome, my neighbors love my car alarm going off at 2 a.m. because of rain or strong wind.

Suggested Improvements

Potholes are like riding wooden roller coasters, alarms bad, hood latch bites, advertised gas mileage was a flat out lie, I try and take naps sometimes during my lunch hour which is awesome if you like sleeping with your knees up your rear, air conditioning vent flaps keep falling down.

It is what it is
By That guy

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 90 mile a day round trip commute and bought this when gas was over$4 a gal. This is an economy car. They only thing I like about it is that I am 6'2" 300 lbs and I fit into it fine. Otherwise this is a cheap car with cheap features. The factory alarm get buggy and goes off for no reason at times. I've had no major problems but the tires are so small that there can be big problems when potholes are everywhere.

Favorite Features

Comfortable for a big person. Low price. good fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Alarm is buggy.

Good ,But Not GREAT.
By FlaBear

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car at the height of the high gas prices. Expected HUGE gas savings. BUT I have never gotten better than 18mpg in the city,and that is driving no 'pedal to the metal' ever. 'Fun driving' drops it even more. I got better mileage in the truck I traded in for this car. Mechanically it is solid. But trim pieces fade fast,paint is easily scratched,hatch release lever has broken 10 times! All 'fixed' under warranty. But now warranty is gone,and minor things are wearing fast. Nothing major,yet. Kind of fun to drive. Easy to add options that 99% other Aveos don't have. Like FACTORY side molding, tint,aftermarket wheel covers,and graphics kits. Easy to park,and lots of storage in the HB.

Favorite Features

Tilt steering wheel,split/flat folding rear seating,firm seats,rear hatch wiper,high drivers seating provides a clear view of the road,pretty fast from a dead stop,but not a lot of power unless you push it hard.

Suggested Improvements

Better REAL mpg,longer bumper to bumper warranty,better/thicker paint,scratches VERY easily,larger brakes,braking distance is far without ABS,closer transmission shifts on the automatic models.

Poor Gas Mileage
By Dissapointed

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, comfortable and attractive. Good visibility for a petite driver. Very disappointed in gas mileage. For the first year I owned it, I comuted 60 miles RT daily, mostly freeway speeds, and never got over 29 mpg. I am a good driver who regularly go 38-40 out of my Saturn SL1, and expected this car to exceed the federal ratings. I was very disappointed to discover that the ratings are a total fairy tales. Best mileage ever was 29, and usually got 25-27.

Favorite Features

Fit, comfort, overall performance.

Suggested Improvements

Dislike confusing center console shifter. Even after 2 years, I have to look to double check what gear I am in. Also poor gas mileage.