Used 2006 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

06 Aveo bought new in 06, current owner review
By Ben R

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my aveo with 12 miles in 2006. I opted for the hatchback special value manual. No power locks, or windows, came with an amfm radio, only option I got was A/C. Today (oct. 2015) I have 180,000. Figured I'd go over EVERY repair I've had in the last 10 years.

I've had the following repairs done (non scheduled maintenance):
spark plug wires/plugs with valve cover gasket (225$ @ 80k). Wires opened up causing arching at high rpms which resulted in a flashing check engine light. Also had oil on the plugs due to the valve cover gasket being bad. Both common aveo problems, upgrade the wires/gasket. Have never had the issue repeat.

Upper radiator hose leak/vacuum hose repair (80$ @ 100k). Standard collant leak. Vacuum hose leak caused a rough idle and reving idle from 1500rpm to 2500rpm. Never had this issue repeat.

Splice pack repair (135$ @ 120k miles). Common issue in the fuse box. Causes only half of your lights to work. Never had this issue repeat.

Removal of the day light running module (45$ 130k miles). Was a recall, opted to remove the module, could short out and cause a fire.

Headlight electrical harness (60$, 160k miles). Plastic connector failed, causing a short and no right headlight.

Back hatch replacement (120$ 160k). Rear hatch wouldn't open.

Air intake hose replacement (210$ @ 160k). Intake hose decomposed opening up causing a check engine light and poor MPG and acceleration.

Wiper arm springs failed (120$ @ 170k). Wipers no longer laid flat against the windshield.

My Aveo has NEVER left me stranded or resulted in a repair over 500$. No engine or transmission failures. Word of advice. Keep up on the general maintenance. Timing belts/water pump/thermostat/serp belt should be replaced every 50k miles. Timing belt failures in Aveos are common at around 60k and destroys your engine if it fails. Use synthetic oil. Helps on the valve tick noise, and get it changed every 5k. Replace the air filter every 45k and flush all fluids (coolant/transmission) every 75k.

Brakes (front) disc factories are horrible. Upgrade to ceramic pads and a quality rotor. Rear drums I'm still on the factory drums. No issues.

Tires/wheels. Upgrade your wheel and tire package. I went with a wider tire and 15 inch wheel. Same overall height as factory. This makes freeway driving safer, and winter driving (with snow tires) extremely safe. Factory tires are banana peels. Upgrade to a common tire. My tires cost 62$ each.

Shocks/struts/springs: I'm still on my original suspension. No failed parts or issues. Was advised at my last maintenance that the struts will need replaced at the next appt.

My aveo has been a great car, especially for 10,400$ brand new (in 2006). Small minor issues are common. If you want your aveo to last drive it easy. I never accelerate past 4000 rpms, and never drive faster than 70mph. Also take turns easy and dont bury the gas when letting go of the clutch. It's not a sports car. I'm still on my original clutch at 180k miles. If you follow the maintenance, fix the minor issues, the car should last well past 200,000 miles. If you don't take care of it, expect your timing belt to snap and your engine to blow up. Maintence is key on Aveo ownership. Can't stress that enough. I average 325 to 350 per 10.4 gals of gas. This has been consistent for the ownership of the car. I drive a combination of 75% freeway, 25% city. At 180k I've had zero gasket issues. No leaking oil or other fluids or overheating issues.

Hope this review was helpful.

Very reliable
By mrsacma

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased New and found this car to be very easy to get in & out of. Lots of room for a small car. great gas mileage average city 32 Hwy 38-40. Had dealer replace right front wheel bearing at 3000 miles and no problems since then, I have 40K miles on it now. No regrets here on buying this other than it should be built in the USA!

Ease of enrty and exiting. Lots of room for a small car!

Wiper delay in rear wiper, one of the 12v plugs should be live all the time.

Exceptional bang for the buck
By Ray

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been everything I could have expected and more. It's getting around 30 mpg and the car is actually fast with the manny tranny. 5th gear is tall and the engine speed is comfortable at 80+mph It handles well despite small tires. With the rear seats down, the cargo area is surprisingly big. Only design issue would be that the rear seats are very close to the back of the car and I think in a rear-end accident rear passengers might be mush. Maybe. I drive the car pretty hard and it still gets 30mpg. The stick on the manual is pretty rubbery, not solid feeling. Don't buy a Civic. I paid less than 9k for my SVM model and had enough left over for 2000 gallons of gas-60k miles!

Gas mileage, cargo capacity, perfromance, uses regular unleaded

Make the headlight/parking light one unit. The separated units now look cheap and 80's-ish. Also, move the trunk area back a few inches. It would add cargo space and increase the appearance of rear safety without sacrificing mileage.

Oi-Vey-Oh
By Garibaldi

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Rolling my 1998 Contour SVT put a new car in my life last January. Not a Sentra Spec V, which didn't charm, instead I went for the Aveo SVM 5 door. This car is so stripped, I expected to find a pull cord wrapped around the crank pulley. It took two days and one 45 mph offramp to realize the cheesy Kumho tires wouldn't do. Serious interneting got me 17" wheels and tires that transformed the handling. Gas mileage isn't stupendous at 27 mpg overall, but it's decent. Build quality is all that can be expected for a sub $10k car: it's tight, quiet, fast, and quick. Oddly, the Aveo is a great over the road stormer. With a 6yr/100k bumper to bumper GM warranty, I'm worry free until 2012. Not bad.

No worries tops my list of favorite features. With the bumper to bumper warranty, I pay not deductible and get a loaner for six years or a hundred k. Exterior styling is quite nice in dark red with 17" wheels. And at 75 mph, it is a great highway stormer. I'm happy as a clam.

I'm sorry, but I can't expect any car that cost me $9800 out the door to improve. Oh, okay, if the engine management was a little more up to date, the Aveo could get 35 mpg city/40 mpg highway. But the agricultural 4 banger just isn't that sophisticated.

Value, Fun, Good Mileage
By Rammer

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I use my new Aveo hatch 5 speed for both work and personal use. I am getting close to my first oil change, and have been very pleased with my car. Good pick up, great mileage if you can keep from exceeding the speed limit. Design - basic, clean, and it works. It's a head turner for a small car. No long trips yet, but I know if I keep at double nickels, the mileage is great, so I sacrifice some time and get to smell some roses.

Great seating, lots of head room. Easy entry and exit.

Middle arms rests would be a very nice option for long drives