2006 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2006 Aveo Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Sort Reviews by

Very reliable
By mrsacma

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased New and found this car to be very easy to get in & out of. Lots of room for a small car. great gas mileage average city 32 Hwy 38-40. Had dealer replace right front wheel bearing at 3000 miles and no problems since then, I have 40K miles on it now. No regrets here on buying this other than it should be built in the USA!

Favorite Features

Ease of enrty and exiting. Lots of room for a small car!

Suggested Improvements

Wiper delay in rear wiper, one of the 12v plugs should be live all the time.

Exceptional bang for the buck
By Ray

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been everything I could have expected and more. It's getting around 30 mpg and the car is actually fast with the manny tranny. 5th gear is tall and the engine speed is comfortable at 80+mph It handles well despite small tires. With the rear seats down, the cargo area is surprisingly big. Only design issue would be that the rear seats are very close to the back of the car and I think in a rear-end accident rear passengers might be mush. Maybe. I drive the car pretty hard and it still gets 30mpg. The stick on the manual is pretty rubbery, not solid feeling. Don't buy a Civic. I paid less than 9k for my SVM model and had enough left over for 2000 gallons of gas-60k miles!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, cargo capacity, perfromance, uses regular unleaded

Suggested Improvements

Make the headlight/parking light one unit. The separated units now look cheap and 80's-ish. Also, move the trunk area back a few inches. It would add cargo space and increase the appearance of rear safety without sacrificing mileage.

Oi-Vey-Oh
By Garibaldi

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Rolling my 1998 Contour SVT put a new car in my life last January. Not a Sentra Spec V, which didn't charm, instead I went for the Aveo SVM 5 door. This car is so stripped, I expected to find a pull cord wrapped around the crank pulley. It took two days and one 45 mph offramp to realize the cheesy Kumho tires wouldn't do. Serious interneting got me 17" wheels and tires that transformed the handling. Gas mileage isn't stupendous at 27 mpg overall, but it's decent. Build quality is all that can be expected for a sub $10k car: it's tight, quiet, fast, and quick. Oddly, the Aveo is a great over the road stormer. With a 6yr/100k bumper to bumper GM warranty, I'm worry free until 2012. Not bad.

Favorite Features

No worries tops my list of favorite features. With the bumper to bumper warranty, I pay not deductible and get a loaner for six years or a hundred k. Exterior styling is quite nice in dark red with 17" wheels. And at 75 mph, it is a great highway stormer. I'm happy as a clam.

Suggested Improvements

I'm sorry, but I can't expect any car that cost me $9800 out the door to improve. Oh, okay, if the engine management was a little more up to date, the Aveo could get 35 mpg city/40 mpg highway. But the agricultural 4 banger just isn't that sophisticated.

Value, Fun, Good Mileage
By Rammer

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I use my new Aveo hatch 5 speed for both work and personal use. I am getting close to my first oil change, and have been very pleased with my car. Good pick up, great mileage if you can keep from exceeding the speed limit. Design - basic, clean, and it works. It's a head turner for a small car. No long trips yet, but I know if I keep at double nickels, the mileage is great, so I sacrifice some time and get to smell some roses.

Favorite Features

Great seating, lots of head room. Easy entry and exit.

Suggested Improvements

Middle arms rests would be a very nice option for long drives

The big Trip
By Gobrowns

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Just wanted to let you all know that I recently drove my little Aveo from Alaska to Texas. This car handled the mountains, rough roads, and the 4,800 miles I put on it in just 5 days. I have the best value hatchback so I don't have all the amenities as the other models but I made it safe and sound and the car held up remarkably well. I've owned the car for 6 months now and 7,000 miles later the only thing I've had to take it into the shop for was the darn hatchback handle broke. Other than that, absolutely, this car is a tank. Oh and by the way I only spent $600 dollars on gas for my 4,800 mile trip!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. it's fun to drive. Love the price, and I like the steering wheel for some reason.

Suggested Improvements

getrid of the annoying passenger airbag light.

Fun to drive
By John Thayer

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Love my Aveo. Getting 33 mpg going to and from work (very little stop and go driving). Love the way it handles. Pretty good power for a small car. About the only things I don't like are the coffee mug holders (block the radio and heater) and bad visibility (blind spots) from the rear window. Why are they making all these cars with tiny rear windows? Course, I love small cars. Just upgraded from my Metro and I love being able to pass without fear of falling behind the car I'm trying to pass.

2006 Chevrolet Aveo SVM Manual Hatchback
By 79type2

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was going to wait a month after purchase to rate this car, but I feel I have driven it enough to comment. This vehicle has so far met and surpassed all my expectations. The sheet metal folds around the doors, hood, and hatch are all sealed (Something $34,000+ Dodge Chargers don't even have). The hatch shuts with VW like quality (No slamming necessary). This car is fun to drive and doesn't take long to get up to speed (Once you get going you barely have to give it gas). I'm really surprised by some of the negative comments I have seen regarding this car. It's a much better deal than the Yaris Liftback or Scion Xa, neither of which looks half as good inside or out.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, great price, especially great build quality for price, convient interior layout, excellent interior room for both front and rear passengers and baggage, European exterior styling, actually very fun to drive, good handling, more than adequate performance, nice "little touches."

Suggested Improvements

Wider hatchback opening with lower bottom lip would make loading easier.

Cheap, Comfortable, and Nice choices
By Xtatic

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

First, it's an economy car so most people try to compare it to a sports car. Don't, because it's the best car for its type. That is, for under 8,000 you get a car thats roomy and more comfortable than most compacts. The warrenty is great and so is the cost. Insurance is also cheap. I am quite tall and I find it very easy to get in and out of. The seats are next to perfect and fit awesome. Sure its only 103 horsepower, but with the stick its quite zippy. The hatch idea is terrific because I can fit anything in this lil puppy. I drive it everyplace and enjoy the fact the gas gauge hardly moves! I'm more an automatic guy but for basic transportation for this price you can't beat it. Excellent!

Favorite Features

Awesome seating. Nice dash, color, and configuration. Very roomy and zoomy too. Nice choice of colors. Cupholders in the right places and extra 12v outlet. Easy to enter and exit without having to put a hand on the rocker panel like most tiny cars. Good visibility and cornering. Fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

I was going to say armrest too, but then I thought about how easy it is to scooch over if you cant get out one side for a silly reason.

Great Economy Car
By Michael Mayle

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I drive 50 miles round trip to work and bought this car for it's economy. I like it so much,that I have parked my pick up and drive it all of the time. I find it exceptionally roomy and easy to manuver in the city. A real gas money saver

Favorite Features

Has good handling and graet fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

A center arm rest with additional storage would be nice.

Very Good
By Helen Eiden

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

There are few changes I would make to this car. One I do not like cloth seats either vinyl of leather. The hatchback would be better for loading if the door was almost as wide as the trunk. Overall I would buy another Chevy Aveo Hatchback.

Favorite Features

Air conditioning. The cup holders the washers front and rear impressive.

Suggested Improvements

Widening the hatchback door to have easier placement of loading crates as when I go to a dog show.