Used 2006 Chevrolet Aveo LT Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

A bit Spongey
By heitro

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I recently bought a used 2006 Aveo LT hatchback at 103025 miles. The carfax stated it had regular service done according to the timetable laid out in the manual. So mostly the car runs excellent. My chief complaint at first were the brakes. Ive driven a assortment of cars of various qualities in my years. And I suspected that since it had scheduled maintenance done it would be in good quality, but the brakes are very weak. It feels as though the car is too heavy for the brakes it came with. I tried replacing the brake pads and rotors with OEM quality replacements, and while it made the braking slightly better, it still feels far too heavy.

Suggested Improvements

Larger diameter brakes, front and rear rotors. Stiffer suspension.

This car is crap!
By Jessica

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Don't waste your money. My Aveo was brand new off the lot and I got it all the way to PA from NC. The car would shut off and I took it by a dealer who told me they were closed, to go home, and to bring it back. Come to find out the car had the wrong alternator in it. The CD player went out soon after I bought it. The dealer wouldn't fix it, said it wasn't covered under warranty. I bought a new stereo. The key gets locked in the mechanism and I can't get it out without disconnecting the battery. I have to always get tires and front end alignments, sometimes twice a year. Body scratches easily and air conditioner vents close constantly. I found out the cars have Daewoo parts as well.

Favorite Features

none.

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start? Cup holders, cd player needs to be covered under warranty. Had the car about a month and come to find out the wrong alternator is in it. The car always needs a front end alignment. I used to put my phone in the tray under the cup holders until a drink spilled out.

What gas mileage?
By Susan

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in 2006, new off the lot. I didn't like the skimpy tires, so had new ones put on with more grip. The air conditioner flaps always shut down from day 1. Drink holder is a joke. Too small and over the ashtray and junk holder. Seats are too narrow and edges curve inward on my husband's shoulders..causes pain for him to ride in it. Gas mileage BOMBED after a few years,lost pick up and tends to jerk slightly when accelerating. Body does get small dents and scratches easily, even after the 200$ extra coating they sold me for the paint job. Clutch now seems to be not engaging smoothly or wearing out. Needs alignment often. 30k miles on it so far.

Favorite Features

Turns on a dime, easy to drive. Leatherette seats hold up very well. Been very reliable for me so far mechanically. Excellent air and heating comfort. Roomy for our tall, large built family members. 6'7" still fits in the front seat except for shoulder width.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the cup holder and seats. Better, beefier stock tires. Find out why the gas mileage bombs after a time and can't seem to be fixed.

Economical Road Warrior
By chuckytown

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've put 87,000 miles on this car in 3.5 years. I'm its only driver. I've put a 6' ladder in this car (and closed the hatch), weedwacker, furniture, a dishwasher, several loads of stone, went on a 2,500 mile road trip. I drive 2 hours a day highway. Drove 6 hours in a blizzard yesterday. I've tested this car pretty good. Roads around here ate up the factory suspension. Changed timing belt at 70,000. This is our "truck". I used it as a landscaping car this summer. Fits a big cargo load with seats down. Love the LT! I will drive it to 200k! I can whip this car around country roads fast enough to induce involuntary screams from passengers, but braking and handling always compensate

Favorite Features

Snow handling, handling steering response, reliability, fuel economy, interior room, remote entry. Looks like a GTI, almost! This thing has no velocity and stops on a dime. Fun to drive on country roads, and also in crowded city or parking lot conditions. Turning radius. Great visibility of road.

Suggested Improvements

Minor electrical issues with window, cruise control, and dome light. Accelerating up steep hills can be tough. Could use more clearance. People often underestimate the roominess and handling. Too difficult to describe all the ways I love my little fuel-economic wonder car.

CUTEST FLOWER POWER CAR!!
By AILEEN

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

So far I have driven my car to Philly, New Jersey,way upstate NY and love it. I don't get great gas mileage :( but it's zippy for a manual and comfortable to drive. Its yellow & I recently put a big cool purple flower on the hood and I hope to start a new trend to replace the Volkswagen bug..haha MY CAR IS CUTER!!!

Favorite Features

very easy manual transmission, shifting and getting into traffic is a breeze, speedy pick up,parking is easy and the sunroof is great

Suggested Improvements

Blowing all over the road on a windy day & having to grip the steering wheel to keep the car going straight,speakers are not loud enough. Even the smallest dip or pothole cost me 130.00 for another tire I have replaced my front tires 4x!! Awful in the snow got stuck on a 4"pile of snow!!!!