Used 2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

06 Aveo bought new in 06, current owner review
By Ben R

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my aveo with 12 miles in 2006. I opted for the hatchback special value manual. No power locks, or windows, came with an amfm radio, only option I got was A/C. Today (oct. 2015) I have 180,000. Figured I'd go over EVERY repair I've had in the last 10 years.

I've had the following repairs done (non scheduled maintenance):
spark plug wires/plugs with valve cover gasket (225$ @ 80k). Wires opened up causing arching at high rpms which resulted in a flashing check engine light. Also had oil on the plugs due to the valve cover gasket being bad. Both common aveo problems, upgrade the wires/gasket. Have never had the issue repeat.

Upper radiator hose leak/vacuum hose repair (80$ @ 100k). Standard collant leak. Vacuum hose leak caused a rough idle and reving idle from 1500rpm to 2500rpm. Never had this issue repeat.

Splice pack repair (135$ @ 120k miles). Common issue in the fuse box. Causes only half of your lights to work. Never had this issue repeat.

Removal of the day light running module (45$ 130k miles). Was a recall, opted to remove the module, could short out and cause a fire.

Headlight electrical harness (60$, 160k miles). Plastic connector failed, causing a short and no right headlight.

Back hatch replacement (120$ 160k). Rear hatch wouldn't open.

Air intake hose replacement (210$ @ 160k). Intake hose decomposed opening up causing a check engine light and poor MPG and acceleration.

Wiper arm springs failed (120$ @ 170k). Wipers no longer laid flat against the windshield.

My Aveo has NEVER left me stranded or resulted in a repair over 500$. No engine or transmission failures. Word of advice. Keep up on the general maintenance. Timing belts/water pump/thermostat/serp belt should be replaced every 50k miles. Timing belt failures in Aveos are common at around 60k and destroys your engine if it fails. Use synthetic oil. Helps on the valve tick noise, and get it changed every 5k. Replace the air filter every 45k and flush all fluids (coolant/transmission) every 75k.

Brakes (front) disc factories are horrible. Upgrade to ceramic pads and a quality rotor. Rear drums I'm still on the factory drums. No issues.

Tires/wheels. Upgrade your wheel and tire package. I went with a wider tire and 15 inch wheel. Same overall height as factory. This makes freeway driving safer, and winter driving (with snow tires) extremely safe. Factory tires are banana peels. Upgrade to a common tire. My tires cost 62$ each.

Shocks/struts/springs: I'm still on my original suspension. No failed parts or issues. Was advised at my last maintenance that the struts will need replaced at the next appt.

My aveo has been a great car, especially for 10,400$ brand new (in 2006). Small minor issues are common. If you want your aveo to last drive it easy. I never accelerate past 4000 rpms, and never drive faster than 70mph. Also take turns easy and dont bury the gas when letting go of the clutch. It's not a sports car. I'm still on my original clutch at 180k miles. If you follow the maintenance, fix the minor issues, the car should last well past 200,000 miles. If you don't take care of it, expect your timing belt to snap and your engine to blow up. Maintence is key on Aveo ownership. Can't stress that enough. I average 325 to 350 per 10.4 gals of gas. This has been consistent for the ownership of the car. I drive a combination of 75% freeway, 25% city. At 180k I've had zero gasket issues. No leaking oil or other fluids or overheating issues.

Hope this review was helpful.

A bit Spongey
By heitro

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I recently bought a used 2006 Aveo LT hatchback at 103025 miles. The carfax stated it had regular service done according to the timetable laid out in the manual. So mostly the car runs excellent. My chief complaint at first were the brakes. Ive driven a assortment of cars of various qualities in my years. And I suspected that since it had scheduled maintenance done it would be in good quality, but the brakes are very weak. It feels as though the car is too heavy for the brakes it came with. I tried
replacing the brake pads and rotors with OEM quality replacements, and while it made the braking slightly better, it still feels far too heavy.

Larger diameter brakes, front and rear rotors. Stiffer suspension.

good starter car
By owensmommy2011

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 3 years now. I don't have too many problems with it. But it is rather. Cheap. mine has only basic features radio only and manual windows/locks. however i'm glad that i can only lock the driver door from the outside. I'm prone to locking the keys in the car. Since becoming a parent we have realized how small it really it. A car seat just squeezes in when rear facing. The smallnes of the car also concerns me when other idiot drivers don't see you around them. We are now looking to trade up to something bigger. Our gas milage itsn't great either.

better gas milage. better engine parts.

This car is crap!
By Jessica

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Don't waste your money. My Aveo was brand new off the lot and I got it all the way to PA from NC. The car would shut off and I took it by a dealer who told me they were closed, to go home, and to bring it back. Come to find out the car had the wrong alternator in it. The CD player went out soon after I bought it. The dealer wouldn't fix it, said it wasn't covered under warranty. I bought a new stereo. The key gets locked in the mechanism and I can't get it out without disconnecting the battery. I have to always get tires and front end alignments, sometimes twice a year. Body scratches easily and air conditioner vents close constantly. I found out the cars have Daewoo parts as well.

none.

Where do I start? Cup holders, cd player needs to be covered under warranty. Had the car about a month and come to find out the wrong alternator is in it. The car always needs a front end alignment. I used to put my phone in the tray under the cup holders until a drink spilled out.

What gas mileage?
By Susan

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in 2006, new off the lot. I didn't like the skimpy tires, so had new ones put on with more grip. The air conditioner flaps always shut down from day 1. Drink holder is a joke. Too small and over the ashtray and junk holder. Seats are too narrow and edges curve inward on my husband's shoulders..causes pain for him to ride in it. Gas mileage BOMBED after a few years,lost pick up and tends to jerk slightly when accelerating. Body does get small dents and scratches easily, even after the 200$ extra coating they sold me for the paint job. Clutch now seems to be not engaging smoothly or wearing out. Needs alignment often. 30k miles on it so far.

Turns on a dime, easy to drive. Leatherette seats hold up very well. Been very reliable for me so far mechanically. Excellent air and heating comfort. Roomy for our tall, large built family members. 6'7" still fits in the front seat except for shoulder width.

Redesign the cup holder and seats. Better, beefier stock tires. Find out why the gas mileage bombs after a time and can't seem to be fixed.