Used 2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

A bit Spongey
By heitro

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I recently bought a used 2006 Aveo LT hatchback at 103025 miles. The carfax stated it had regular service done according to the timetable laid out in the manual. So mostly the car runs excellent. My chief complaint at first were the brakes. Ive driven a assortment of cars of various qualities in my years. And I suspected that since it had scheduled maintenance done it would be in good quality, but the brakes are very weak. It feels as though the car is too heavy for the brakes it came with. I tried replacing the brake pads and rotors with OEM quality replacements, and while it made the braking slightly better, it still feels far too heavy.

Suggested Improvements

Larger diameter brakes, front and rear rotors. Stiffer suspension.

good starter car
By owensmommy2011

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 3 years now. I don't have too many problems with it. But it is rather. Cheap. mine has only basic features radio only and manual windows/locks. however i'm glad that i can only lock the driver door from the outside. I'm prone to locking the keys in the car. Since becoming a parent we have realized how small it really it. A car seat just squeezes in when rear facing. The smallnes of the car also concerns me when other idiot drivers don't see you around them. We are now looking to trade up to something bigger. Our gas milage itsn't great either.

Suggested Improvements

better gas milage. better engine parts.

This car is crap!
By Jessica

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Don't waste your money. My Aveo was brand new off the lot and I got it all the way to PA from NC. The car would shut off and I took it by a dealer who told me they were closed, to go home, and to bring it back. Come to find out the car had the wrong alternator in it. The CD player went out soon after I bought it. The dealer wouldn't fix it, said it wasn't covered under warranty. I bought a new stereo. The key gets locked in the mechanism and I can't get it out without disconnecting the battery. I have to always get tires and front end alignments, sometimes twice a year. Body scratches easily and air conditioner vents close constantly. I found out the cars have Daewoo parts as well.

Favorite Features

none.

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start? Cup holders, cd player needs to be covered under warranty. Had the car about a month and come to find out the wrong alternator is in it. The car always needs a front end alignment. I used to put my phone in the tray under the cup holders until a drink spilled out.

What gas mileage?
By Susan

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in 2006, new off the lot. I didn't like the skimpy tires, so had new ones put on with more grip. The air conditioner flaps always shut down from day 1. Drink holder is a joke. Too small and over the ashtray and junk holder. Seats are too narrow and edges curve inward on my husband's shoulders..causes pain for him to ride in it. Gas mileage BOMBED after a few years,lost pick up and tends to jerk slightly when accelerating. Body does get small dents and scratches easily, even after the 200$ extra coating they sold me for the paint job. Clutch now seems to be not engaging smoothly or wearing out. Needs alignment often. 30k miles on it so far.

Favorite Features

Turns on a dime, easy to drive. Leatherette seats hold up very well. Been very reliable for me so far mechanically. Excellent air and heating comfort. Roomy for our tall, large built family members. 6'7" still fits in the front seat except for shoulder width.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the cup holder and seats. Better, beefier stock tires. Find out why the gas mileage bombs after a time and can't seem to be fixed.

Dependable but Disappointed
By bab

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a fully loaded Chevy Impala for this car when gas went above $4 a gallon. The Impala was getting 22 mpg city and was very very comfortable. With the Aveo, what was advertised on the window sticker, is not what I got. I usually get between 25 to 27 in the city and 30 on the highway. I should have kept my Impala. Aveo alarm goes off for no reason. I looked this problem up on the internet an nobody could get dealer to fix. One guy said to lock it with the key instead of the fob and that has resolved my problem 99% of the time. Now the hood latch is broke. Can't open back up at all. I've kept this serviced as required over the years so I'm praying it lasts me 4 to 5 more years.

Favorite Features

It still runs, I haven't been squashed like a bug yet in any mishaps, holds dents well, love the black tar on the yellow car, two drink holders right over the ashtray (where I keep my spare change) are awesome, my neighbors love my car alarm going off at 2 a.m. because of rain or strong wind.

Suggested Improvements

Potholes are like riding wooden roller coasters, alarms bad, hood latch bites, advertised gas mileage was a flat out lie, I try and take naps sometimes during my lunch hour which is awesome if you like sleeping with your knees up your rear, air conditioning vent flaps keep falling down.