2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
A bit Spongey
By heitro on 03/23/12 02:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I recently bought a used 2006 Aveo LT hatchback at 103025 miles. The carfax stated it had regular service done according to the timetable laid out in the manual. So mostly the car runs excellent. My chief complaint at first were the brakes. Ive driven a assortment of cars of various qualities in my years. And I suspected that since it had scheduled maintenance done it would be in good quality, but the brakes are very weak. It feels as though the car is too heavy for the brakes it came with. I tried replacing the brake pads and rotors with OEM quality replacements, and while it made the braking slightly better, it still feels far too heavy.

good starter car
By owensmommy2011 on 08/19/11 17:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 3 years now. I don't have too many problems with it. But it is rather. Cheap. mine has only basic features radio only and manual windows/locks. however i'm glad that i can only lock the driver door from the outside. I'm prone to locking the keys in the car. Since becoming a parent we have realized how small it really it. A car seat just squeezes in when rear facing. The smallnes of the car also concerns me when other idiot drivers don't see you around them. We are now looking to trade up to something bigger. Our gas milage itsn't great either.

This car is crap!
By Jessica on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Don't waste your money. My Aveo was brand new off the lot and I got it all the way to PA from NC. The car would shut off and I took it by a dealer who told me they were closed, to go home, and to bring it back. Come to find out the car had the wrong alternator in it. The CD player went out soon after I bought it. The dealer wouldn't fix it, said it wasn't covered under warranty. I bought a new stereo. The key gets locked in the mechanism and I can't get it out without disconnecting the battery. I have to always get tires and front end alignments, sometimes twice a year. Body scratches easily and air conditioner vents close constantly. I found out the cars have Daewoo parts as well.

What gas mileage?
By Susan on 08/20/10 21:58 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in 2006, new off the lot. I didn't like the skimpy tires, so had new ones put on with more grip. The air conditioner flaps always shut down from day 1. Drink holder is a joke. Too small and over the ashtray and junk holder. Seats are too narrow and edges curve inward on my husband's shoulders..causes pain for him to ride in it. Gas mileage BOMBED after a few years,lost pick up and tends to jerk slightly when accelerating. Body does get small dents and scratches easily, even after the 200$ extra coating they sold me for the paint job. Clutch now seems to be not engaging smoothly or wearing out. Needs alignment often. 30k miles on it so far.

Dependable but Disappointed
By bab on 07/31/10 08:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a fully loaded Chevy Impala for this car when gas went above $4 a gallon. The Impala was getting 22 mpg city and was very very comfortable. With the Aveo, what was advertised on the window sticker, is not what I got. I usually get between 25 to 27 in the city and 30 on the highway. I should have kept my Impala. Aveo alarm goes off for no reason. I looked this problem up on the internet an nobody could get dealer to fix. One guy said to lock it with the key instead of the fob and that has resolved my problem 99% of the time. Now the hood latch is broke. Can't open back up at all. I've kept this serviced as required over the years so I'm praying it lasts me 4 to 5 more years.

It is what it is
By That guy on 07/01/10 07:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 90 mile a day round trip commute and bought this when gas was over$4 a gal. This is an economy car. They only thing I like about it is that I am 6'2" 300 lbs and I fit into it fine. Otherwise this is a cheap car with cheap features. The factory alarm get buggy and goes off for no reason at times. I've had no major problems but the tires are so small that there can be big problems when potholes are everywhere.

Economical Road Warrior
By chuckytown on 02/11/10 17:02 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've put 87,000 miles on this car in 3.5 years. I'm its only driver. I've put a 6' ladder in this car (and closed the hatch), weedwacker, furniture, a dishwasher, several loads of stone, went on a 2,500 mile road trip. I drive 2 hours a day highway. Drove 6 hours in a blizzard yesterday. I've tested this car pretty good. Roads around here ate up the factory suspension. Changed timing belt at 70,000. This is our "truck". I used it as a landscaping car this summer. Fits a big cargo load with seats down. Love the LT! I will drive it to 200k! I can whip this car around country roads fast enough to induce involuntary screams from passengers, but braking and handling always compensate

Good ,But Not GREAT.
By FlaBear on 09/30/09 22:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car at the height of the high gas prices. Expected HUGE gas savings. BUT I have never gotten better than 18mpg in the city,and that is driving no 'pedal to the metal' ever. 'Fun driving' drops it even more. I got better mileage in the truck I traded in for this car. Mechanically it is solid. But trim pieces fade fast,paint is easily scratched,hatch release lever has broken 10 times! All 'fixed' under warranty. But now warranty is gone,and minor things are wearing fast. Nothing major,yet. Kind of fun to drive. Easy to add options that 99% other Aveos don't have. Like FACTORY side molding, tint,aftermarket wheel covers,and graphics kits. Easy to park,and lots of storage in the HB.

CUTEST FLOWER POWER CAR!!
By AILEEN on 03/02/09 08:25 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

So far I have driven my car to Philly, New Jersey,way upstate NY and love it. I don't get great gas mileage :( but it's zippy for a manual and comfortable to drive. Its yellow & I recently put a big cool purple flower on the hood and I hope to start a new trend to replace the Volkswagen bug..haha MY CAR IS CUTER!!!

Very reliable
By mrsacma on 10/15/08 07:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased New and found this car to be very easy to get in & out of. Lots of room for a small car. great gas mileage average city 32 Hwy 38-40. Had dealer replace right front wheel bearing at 3000 miles and no problems since then, I have 40K miles on it now. No regrets here on buying this other than it should be built in the USA!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.