Used 2006 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

The car the drove ME crazy
By Tracy

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car had it for a few years. But to much money into trying to figure out what was wrong. Come to find out this car along with others had a tiny hole in the transmission. (transmission made of plastic) . GM knew about the problem never told the customer nor the dealers. Also they would not stand by their customer told me not their problem while the manager at the GM cried to me about all the phone calls she gets. I never want to deal with this car nor GM again.

Wallet Saver
By G8rB8t

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. I drive 116 miles a day and given that this car has nothing, and I mean nothing to it, it does the job well. I can live without the AC and the AM/FM radio is par but works and helps me survive the commute. The sole purpose of this car was as a commuter for work and nothing more and it does just that. Currently have filled the tank 20 times and am averaging 35.7 MPG. I am a spirited driver so I am sure others could do much better if they don't average 10 mph over the limit like I do.

Gas mileage. Little options so little can go wrong. Parking capabilities and vision out of the car are great. Feels roomy and plenty of space for my 6' 270 lb frame in front and back.

Can't really say much. You get what you pay for especially in the SVM. The only thing I would recommend is a louder horn.

I've had good luck
By amylou

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Paid $9000 for the bare bones 2006 sedan and for the price, I'm happy with it and plan on driving it until it dies. No problems with engine, tranny, electrical, etc. Gear transition chunky, does not improve. I'm lax with regular maintenance and simply don't care about image , so combined with the iffy craftsmanship minor things are always breaking and falling off, too expensive to fix. But I have always LOVED the shape of it, no one wants to steal my little inconspicuous crank-window value model. Needed bushings early on and the shocks/struts have degraded to a Lincoln Continental rolling sort of ride. Unstable in wind on highway. Good for short commute, would buy again for the TRUNK!

HUGE trunk, cute from behind, mileage, reliable, nice stying inside, large side mirrors, rear view less obstructed than the hatchback, eyeglasses holder seems trivial but very useful, narrow to fit between rude SUV parkers, brakes worked great when it counts and stop on a dime with good control.

better quality gadgets and gizmos, more stability in wind, wheel covers scratch easily, if you live on a bumpy road the suspension suffers and bushings go bad, has a well known problem with gear transition that makes shifting a 2-motion event and this never got better, I just got used to it.

Cheap metal
By MYSTICICE13

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My car seems to have dents from under the hood. No one knows why. Simply leaning against the car will cause the door to dent, I only weigh 130. I had the emissions valve replaced at 30,000 the clutch plate was replaced after only having it a year, the horn is weak. No block heater (required in Alaska) they charge you extra to get one when it should be installed in a place where its required.

Gas mileage is good at first, but if you dont flush it every now and then it goes downhill fast. Not very good for in city miles, excellent highway miles.

Mechanically could be put together more durably.

What we wanted
By anotherchevy

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Have had for about a month. Already have over 3000 miles on it. Bought for a third car to drive long distance commute to save on gas. The car is what we expected for a $9000 car. It runs, goes down the road well, is great on gas and is a tin can. Plain Jane and we like it.

Gas mileage