Used 2005 Chevrolet Aveo LT Sedan Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

2005 Aveo OK if willing to replace timing belt
By Mike

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Love my little Aveo. Very handy and easy to drive in city traffic or on long trips. But you have to have a little money set aside for routine manufacturer specified interval maintenance.
If you do this the car is pretty much problem free, offers excellent value and quality for the initial cost, and is an ergonomic gem.
I did my research and replaced the timing belt at 58,000 miles BEFORE anything bad could happen.
It is not a cheap repair ($700) since the water pump and some other routine parts and fluids at this interval also must also be replaced.
But the consequences of not performing the repair are a $2,3000 repair bill and expectation of a week or more of down time to have your engine rebuilt. My mechanic actually had someone else's Aveo in the shop for valve and timing belt replacement and an engine rebuild because that person failed to replace the belt as scheduled. (So if you are flat broke and putting your last bit of savings into purchasing this car: Beware. Cannot recommend to someone in that boat.)
That caveat aside, the Aveo is an excellent for city driving and a great highway cruiser as long as it is not to windy. (It is tall for its size.)
Inside it is roomy and comfortable. I am about 5'7" and my girlfriend is almost a foot taller with long long legs and she can ride in this car, even though she cannot fit into more than half of all cars on the road, including my S10 pickup.
The upright stadium seating is very comfortable for drives up to 3-4 hours. And, the seats are not bad.
The car turns quickly and is nimble in avoidance manoeuvres. Stopping distances are short with good tires.
That said, the car has only four inches of road clearance and is not meant for off-road travel and can be beached on snow on a badly plowed road with snow mounds blocking driveways.
The automatic transmission needs a few miles under it to warm up to allow it to kick into overdrive on below zero days, but it is a smooth timely auto shifter and drive-train offers great mileage as long as you don't jerk it around with floored accelerations or the stop-and-go I-95 variety.
The car is simple to maintain. Oil and filter changes and other small things are relatively easy.
Recommend, but with alerts for used car buyers to make sure the engine wasn't victimized by lack of major maintenance.
Note: My mileage totals on the vehicle are low because I own/drive three vehicles and baby this car compared to my truck.

2005, automatic - 65,000 Miles
By jdubsnow

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 2.5 years, I got it because I needed a car and it was a great deal. For city and in town driving, this car is perfect...however - if you drive on the freeways a lot, it is terrible at high speeds/with wind - due to how light the car is in weight. It also is not great in snow...so if you live in the Midwest, or anywhere with a lot of snow in the winters, I would not recommend this little go-kart. It gets stressful in the snow with how light it is - and you cannot get great tires, especially over 14" - so that doesn't help. If you go too fast, you will slide, and if you go too slow, you will get stuck. It is great for nice weathered places though, and in town driving.

Definitely the gas mileage. I get 24-27 in the cities, and up to 32 on the highway. It is also pretty roomy inside for how tiny it looks. I've had some

Make it possible to get 16" tires. Better handling in snow. Built a litter heavier.

Not too Shabby
By ahartney

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is overall pretty dependable. I drive it to and from work everyday, regularly change the oil and haven't had any major issues up until now. Last night, was driving and heard a pop. I looked under the hood and it had sprayed coolant all over, starting from the passenger side near the air filter box. Turns out that a lot of Aveo owners have had the same issue. The factory thermostat housing is made of plastic and is held together with glue. Mine basically separated into two pieces right at the gasket. Options are buy an aluminum one for approx. $100.. ($91.78 plus tax from the dealer) or use plastic weld to glue it back together. By the way...parts are only carried by the dealer.

Replace thermostat housing with aluminum instead of factory plastic

I love my little car
By My Aveo rocks*

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I did quite a bit of reseach before buying this car. I test drove literally 13 different cars of all competitors. I found this car to be the best of them all. I am a 6' tall guy, and I felt the least cramped in this car of them all! A lot of my freinds ragged on me for buying such a small car, especially since I could afford a lot bigger car, but after I took them for a ride, they were believers! This car is huge on the inside, can fit a ton in the trunk. After driving it for a few months, I do have a couple of complaints, but just minor. 1) Needs a center arm rest 2) Can be a beast to handle in high winds. Overall this is a great car, and I've driven a few, I reccomend!

Moonroof, seat comfort, alloy wheels, faux carbon fiber look, trunk space, interior space.

Center arm rest is the biggest! Power lock button, both outside mirrors power, 2 equal size cup holders in front (what is with the baby cup holder, that cant hold a 20oz pop?) and thats about it. And don't really need the "hold" mode...maybe i just don't know how to use it.

Great Inexpensive Daily Driver
By EllwynX

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

After owning this car almost a year/6200 miles it's been a very reliable vehicle. Plenty of room for tall drivers despite its small stature. Performs well for a car its price. Plenty of features (power windows/locks/mirror/sunroof, keyless entry, CDw/mp3 capability) for an entry level car. If you're in the market for one now, I say wait for the 2007's to come out. Their look is MUCH improved over the '04-'06 and they are getting a few more features not available on the '04-'06's. The Aveo was the #1 selling car in it's class for '05 and that should continue with the improved '07 model being released this year. My Performance/Fun ratings are low due to my having an '02 Camaro previously.

You get plenty of features for the money.

Gas mileage. I only average 23mpg around town. I got that in my '02 V6 Camaro and expected better from the Aveo. Needs another gear, you can just feel the engine wanting to shift at highway speeds. Arm rest and Cruise Control would be nice.