Used 2005 Chevrolet Aveo LT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

2005, automatic - 65,000 Miles
By jdubsnow

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 2.5 years, I got it because I needed a car and it was a great deal. For city and in town driving, this car is perfect...however - if you drive on the freeways a lot, it is terrible at high speeds/with wind - due to how light the car is in weight. It also is not great in snow...so if you live in the Midwest, or anywhere with a lot of snow in the winters, I would not recommend this little go-kart. It gets stressful in the snow with how light it is - and you cannot get great tires, especially over 14" - so that doesn't help. If you go too fast, you will slide, and if you go too slow, you will get stuck. It is great for nice weathered places though, and in town driving.

Favorite Features

Definitely the gas mileage. I get 24-27 in the cities, and up to 32 on the highway. It is also pretty roomy inside for how tiny it looks. I've had some

Suggested Improvements

Make it possible to get 16" tires. Better handling in snow. Built a litter heavier.

Not too Shabby
By ahartney

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is overall pretty dependable. I drive it to and from work everyday, regularly change the oil and haven't had any major issues up until now. Last night, was driving and heard a pop. I looked under the hood and it had sprayed coolant all over, starting from the passenger side near the air filter box. Turns out that a lot of Aveo owners have had the same issue. The factory thermostat housing is made of plastic and is held together with glue. Mine basically separated into two pieces right at the gasket. Options are buy an aluminum one for approx. $100.. ($91.78 plus tax from the dealer) or use plastic weld to glue it back together. By the way...parts are only carried by the dealer.

Suggested Improvements

Replace thermostat housing with aluminum instead of factory plastic

I love my little car
By My Aveo rocks*

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I did quite a bit of reseach before buying this car. I test drove literally 13 different cars of all competitors. I found this car to be the best of them all. I am a 6' tall guy, and I felt the least cramped in this car of them all! A lot of my freinds ragged on me for buying such a small car, especially since I could afford a lot bigger car, but after I took them for a ride, they were believers! This car is huge on the inside, can fit a ton in the trunk. After driving it for a few months, I do have a couple of complaints, but just minor. 1) Needs a center arm rest 2) Can be a beast to handle in high winds. Overall this is a great car, and I've driven a few, I reccomend!

Favorite Features

Moonroof, seat comfort, alloy wheels, faux carbon fiber look, trunk space, interior space.

Suggested Improvements

Center arm rest is the biggest! Power lock button, both outside mirrors power, 2 equal size cup holders in front (what is with the baby cup holder, that cant hold a 20oz pop?) and thats about it. And don't really need the "hold" mode...maybe i just don't know how to use it.

Great Inexpensive Daily Driver
By EllwynX

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

After owning this car almost a year/6200 miles it's been a very reliable vehicle. Plenty of room for tall drivers despite its small stature. Performs well for a car its price. Plenty of features (power windows/locks/mirror/sunroof, keyless entry, CDw/mp3 capability) for an entry level car. If you're in the market for one now, I say wait for the 2007's to come out. Their look is MUCH improved over the '04-'06 and they are getting a few more features not available on the '04-'06's. The Aveo was the #1 selling car in it's class for '05 and that should continue with the improved '07 model being released this year. My Performance/Fun ratings are low due to my having an '02 Camaro previously.

Favorite Features

You get plenty of features for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. I only average 23mpg around town. I got that in my '02 V6 Camaro and expected better from the Aveo. Needs another gear, you can just feel the engine wanting to shift at highway speeds. Arm rest and Cruise Control would be nice.

Great Car, Greater Value
By Jim

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car, gas mileage is great and it looks sharp. Many compact cars may get higher ratings, and may score higher when compared but considering that the car only cost me $10,600 with the MP3 stereo as compared to many compacts costing twice that price its an awesome little car. I dont feel that you can acurately compare a $20,000 car to a $10,000 car so as for Consumer Reports they should compare apples to apples. I can say this I have 8800 miles on mine, it has had no repairs, gets great mileage and I would buy it over again given the need or chance.

Favorite Features

Its stylsih, has cool inside trim, comes in great colors and doesnt feel cheap.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements would be to enlarge the fuel tank and make it about 5 gallons larger, so the car would have an awesome range between fillups.