Used 2005 Chevrolet Aveo LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

His and Hers
By ckmolina

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I both own the 2005 aveo. His has 11500 miles on it and mine has 11300 miles on it. I drive the hatchback LS and he drives the sedan LT. We have driven from Missouri to California and back with no problems. Both of our daylight running lamps have quit working reliably, both the dashlight indicator and the lights themselves. We haven't gotten them fixed, instead we just turn on the headlights. Just recently we have had a problem with the sedan overheating. We are still trying to fix that one. The hatchback has had no major issues.

We get pretty decent gas mileage, with my daily commute of 112 miles giving me a 31mpg on the highway. She stops quickly, has a TINY turn radius and most repairs and replacement items are pretty well priced (cheaper). Because of the tiny size of the vehicle, I have often been able to park where others cannot- in the spot where the two cars on each side are over MY line, in the space where two parallel parked cars boxed in someone else, in the parking space with the shopping cart in it. I love my tiny blueberry!

The radio and temperature control features are set well below eye level, making it difficult to change things while trying to concentrate on driving, however, since they have large buttons, you can quickly learn to navigate them by feel. Also the seats are not very ergonomic. I am a shorter female and I often have a sore shoulder, a sore lower back and a sore neck from driving. The headrest pushes your head forward, while the bucket back of the set causes you to slump and the seat has a backwards tilt causing your hips to rest lower than your thighs. Also, she drags a bit when you are accelerating from a stop and when going uphill.

Cheap, and it worked for a while.
By sssargon

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2005 Aveo automatic in 2007 w/ about 25k miles on it to replace my Toyota Echo. It runs (and the mpg was nice), but has large blindspots in the front corners, so watch for pedestrians while turning & is lightweight so the wind blows it around on the highway. In 2009, w/ 45k mi, while replacing tires, found out there was a bent inner tie rod, which requires replacing this whole chassis ($700-900); it caused tires to wear out faster in the front and the car to wobble between 50-65 mph. 62k mi & the clock broke. After only 64k mi & regular maintenance, the engine died. Better replace the timing belt before 60k mi. Too bad it wouldn't have been worth it anyway. Disappointing.

Got me too and from work and on about two small roadtrips a year. Gas mileage was good (average of 27 mpg mixed driving, and on long stretches of highway, I actually got up to 35 mpg). The trunk is fairly sizable - I rarely had problems packing. The small turn radius I was a big fan of. However, everything the Aveo did well, the Toyota Echo did better, and was similarly sized and styled, and it definitely was more reliable than the Aveo.

Definitely should have the inner tie rod be a separate piece like on many cars, especially considering how many Aveos I've heard about bending them. Having it be exclusively attached to the axle made fixing that problem next to impossible at my income (and a car this cheap will probably be found mostly with this income bracket). The interior could have been not so cheaply made, and I definitely think there is a wiring problem with the clock and warning light console. I am immensely disappointed that this car only lived to 64,000 miles.

"You get what you pay for"
By denisenjeff1

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Aveo LS new...very good value, it's always been reliable, have had no repairs to speak of that I have made, just routine maintenance such as oil change, or other wearable items such as tires/brakes. The car was cheap, at the time I believe it was the least expensive car in the market. Well the car is also cheap, no frills bells or whistles came with it other then AC, shortly after owning it, the horn and the clock stopped working, those were the only "extras" that were on it, hey I still have radio, but don't try to turn up the volume, our speaker blew, so two work now. Yep cheap car, cheap price. You get what you pay for. But it has still gotten me from a-b!

MPG, reliability

Any improvements would mean $$ so keep it low budget.

Great gas sipper for the price
By carnut59

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have an S Class Mercedes and Infiniti SUV...when gas hit $4 a gallon, I bought this used 2005 Aveo with 16,000 miles as a gas sipper for the 20,000 miles or so I drive a year for business reasons. I really like it for the price, and consistently get better than the EPA ratings, I get 30 city and 40 highway with the automatic. I have gotten 43.8 before. I do all my own maintenance and it's all cheap and easy on this car. It's crude and flimsy in many ways as you would expect for the price, but it's great in congested traffic and tight parking lots.

Fuel economy, ease of maintenance, insurance is cheap, very large and well-lit trunk for such a small car, simple and clear controls and gauges

Factory stereo and speakers are garbage but easy to replace, air conditioning is barely adequate in 90+ weather

Good First Car
By kwizzle14

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It was my first car I got in High School and owned it for two years. I live in the city so it was PERFECT. Never had any major problems either. I even got rear ended by a pickup truck and I had little to no damage and the pickups whole front bumper was destroyed. I took this car with me to my first semester in college (6 hour drive) Didn't last very long after that. On my way home for thanksgiving the Aveo broke down in the middle of nowhere about two hours away from home. It cost me around 2000 to fix. I just sold the car to my little sister though who still lives at home. So all in all, great car for commuting around the area, but not so great for long 6 hour drives.

Fuel economy! Never cost me more than 30 dollars to fill a tank. Spacious seating.