2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
His and Hers
By ckmolina on 08/18/12 14:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I both own the 2005 aveo. His has 11500 miles on it and mine has 11300 miles on it. I drive the hatchback LS and he drives the sedan LT. We have driven from Missouri to California and back with no problems. Both of our daylight running lamps have quit working reliably, both the dashlight indicator and the lights themselves. We haven't gotten them fixed, instead we just turn on the headlights. Just recently we have had a problem with the sedan overheating. We are still trying to fix that one. The hatchback has had no major issues.

Cheap, and it worked for a while.
By sssargon on 08/01/12 06:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2005 Aveo automatic in 2007 w/ about 25k miles on it to replace my Toyota Echo. It runs (and the mpg was nice), but has large blindspots in the front corners, so watch for pedestrians while turning & is lightweight so the wind blows it around on the highway. In 2009, w/ 45k mi, while replacing tires, found out there was a bent inner tie rod, which requires replacing this whole chassis ($700-900); it caused tires to wear out faster in the front and the car to wobble between 50-65 mph. 62k mi & the clock broke. After only 64k mi & regular maintenance, the engine died. Better replace the timing belt before 60k mi. Too bad it wouldn't have been worth it anyway. Disappointing.

"You get what you pay for"
By denisenjeff1 on 02/02/12 13:01 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Aveo LS new...very good value, it's always been reliable, have had no repairs to speak of that I have made, just routine maintenance such as oil change, or other wearable items such as tires/brakes. The car was cheap, at the time I believe it was the least expensive car in the market. Well the car is also cheap, no frills bells or whistles came with it other then AC, shortly after owning it, the horn and the clock stopped working, those were the only "extras" that were on it, hey I still have radio, but don't try to turn up the volume, our speaker blew, so two work now. Yep cheap car, cheap price. You get what you pay for. But it has still gotten me from a-b!

Great gas sipper for the price
By carnut59 on 06/06/11 19:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have an S Class Mercedes and Infiniti SUV...when gas hit $4 a gallon, I bought this used 2005 Aveo with 16,000 miles as a gas sipper for the 20,000 miles or so I drive a year for business reasons. I really like it for the price, and consistently get better than the EPA ratings, I get 30 city and 40 highway with the automatic. I have gotten 43.8 before. I do all my own maintenance and it's all cheap and easy on this car. It's crude and flimsy in many ways as you would expect for the price, but it's great in congested traffic and tight parking lots.

2005, automatic - 65,000 Miles
By jdubsnow on 03/10/11 18:06 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 2.5 years, I got it because I needed a car and it was a great deal. For city and in town driving, this car is perfect...however - if you drive on the freeways a lot, it is terrible at high speeds/with wind - due to how light the car is in weight. It also is not great in snow...so if you live in the Midwest, or anywhere with a lot of snow in the winters, I would not recommend this little go-kart. It gets stressful in the snow with how light it is - and you cannot get great tires, especially over 14" - so that doesn't help. If you go too fast, you will slide, and if you go too slow, you will get stuck. It is great for nice weathered places though, and in town driving.

Good First Car
By kwizzle14 on 12/28/10 07:25 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It was my first car I got in High School and owned it for two years. I live in the city so it was PERFECT. Never had any major problems either. I even got rear ended by a pickup truck and I had little to no damage and the pickups whole front bumper was destroyed. I took this car with me to my first semester in college (6 hour drive) Didn't last very long after that. On my way home for thanksgiving the Aveo broke down in the middle of nowhere about two hours away from home. It cost me around 2000 to fix. I just sold the car to my little sister though who still lives at home. So all in all, great car for commuting around the area, but not so great for long 6 hour drives.

Watch out for the crash engine
By New Motor Time on 08/03/10 11:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall not a bad car and rates well in its class but do the maintenance. Timing belt change at 60,000 miles. If it goes, the motor can not be repaired and must be replaced. When you make the change you need (must) also to change the pulleys and water pump. It is also very tinny and dents easy. Good gas mileage but is underpowered to achieve it.

Great Car for Awhile
By Jen Squared on 05/24/10 19:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I loved this car when I first bought it. As a single mom though, I had to finance for 6 years to afford the payments. Now, the car was in the shop for 3 out of the last 4 weeks for various different and expensive reasons. Apparently it is really hard to get the parts you need. Of course, that could be my mechanic's way of buying more time, but if the car had lasted past its warranty I don't think I would have had to deal with a mechanic other than a dealer. Bottom Line: If you buy an aveo, do not keep it past about 50,000 miles or so unless you have at least 2000 saved up for repairs.

3 deer later...
By Mean Salmon on 01/15/10 16:44 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 4th car, and I had a SUV before hand. I wanted something better on gas and found my Aveo. Its been a great car, although my friends give me a hard time about it, I can always remind them that I pay a fraction in gas and car payments that they do. I've had it almost 3 years and have hit 3 deer (ahh life in the country). Glad to report most damage ever done was a dented hood and a cracked head light. By far the best car I have ever owned, its good on mileage and handles great.

Not too Shabby
By ahartney on 11/27/09 07:17 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is overall pretty dependable. I drive it to and from work everyday, regularly change the oil and haven't had any major issues up until now. Last night, was driving and heard a pop. I looked under the hood and it had sprayed coolant all over, starting from the passenger side near the air filter box. Turns out that a lot of Aveo owners have had the same issue. The factory thermostat housing is made of plastic and is held together with glue. Mine basically separated into two pieces right at the gasket. Options are buy an aluminum one for approx. $100.. ($91.78 plus tax from the dealer) or use plastic weld to glue it back together. By the way...parts are only carried by the dealer.