Used 2005 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Major Chevy Aveo failure
By chevyvictim

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Chevy Aveo brand new in late '05, loved, babied and maintained that car very well. 3 days ago the timing belt failed at only 55K miles on the freeway, totally shut the car down including power steering and brakes at 65mph, I'm very lucky I was safe. And now I find out that the engine is basically destroyed because of the belt failure, with repair costs of approximately $2500. And to top it all off I find out Chevrolet knew about this particular problem long ago but did nothing to warn owners or recall, totally negligent. Incredibly corrupt company if you ask me, I and many other Aveo owners are very angry, and I feel a class action lawsuit is necessary
Here's an update, after diagnosing the destroyed engine with a mechanic we discovered that the PLASTIC timing belt tension pulley had cracked, throwing the timing belt in the process, which led to the engine being totally destroyed. I wonder if Chevy realizes that plastic cracks much easier than steel or aluminum??

Mom's little trustie!
By tauscuppy

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! we always have new trucks, or vans.
when gas prices got so high, I went out and bought one of these (after muchresearch on other compacts) Now, this is the family car, it's taken us everywhere, not a single worry, I drive on the feeway ALL the time, and can't believe how smooth it is, I have to chech the sppedometer all the time, cuz I am always speeding, but, it never feels like it.
this car was 8 years old when I bought it, has just over 100.000 on it now.
I will own this car for a long time <3

05 Aveo
By Cindy

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Had my 05 Chevy Aveo for almost 5 yrs now. Haven't had a single problem with it. Well, except for the pain. My car is yellow. In fact it is 5 different shades of yellow. Obviously a bad batch of paint? Trying to get them to fix the problem, but so far no luck. Also the clear coat is peeling. I'm told this is because of the bad paint, makes sense. I use good car wash to wash it and have always kept it clean. The say the whole car will have to be repainted, of course at my expense.

Rust bucket
By sandy smith

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My neighbor and I both bought aveo hatchback not long after buying it the back was replaced 2 times rusting inside to out. Now all the doors are rusting on inside under the rubber on top of doors. They said they got parts from Korea and they rust during shipment. So much for new cars rust bucket. I only have 23,500 miles on mine but now have to get rid of it before I'm only left with engine. Roof rusting as well hers and mine. I had mine rust proofed as soon as I bought it

Sturdy Small Car
By Elaine

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was recently rear ended in my Aveo and sent forward about 4 feet from a dead stop. although My Aveo has to have the bumper replaced the larger car that hit me is written off.. hood was crumpled. You can see the imprint of his logo in my bumper. I suffered no real injuries just a little stiffness from a whiplash type injury.. I had loved the Aveo before for it's handling, fuel economy and pick up on the highway but now.. am totally impressed by how well it is constructed.

Spacious interior for a subcompact. Quick pick up on the highway Great maneuverability in town and great fuel economy

Better coffee cup holder, 2 x-large coffee cannot sit in the cup holder together