2005 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
Sturdy Small Car
By Elaine on 03/04/10 15:34 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was recently rear ended in my Aveo and sent forward about 4 feet from a dead stop. although My Aveo has to have the bumper replaced the larger car that hit me is written off.. hood was crumpled. You can see the imprint of his logo in my bumper. I suffered no real injuries just a little stiffness from a whiplash type injury.. I had loved the Aveo before for it's handling, fuel economy and pick up on the highway but now.. am totally impressed by how well it is constructed.

2006 Chev Aveo LT
By Mike on 10/25/09 09:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with my car and I believe that when bought I drove it slower and allowed the engine to break in for the first 800 miles. Also every 3000 miles I have the oil changed. As of today I have no problems it continues to go 65-70mph down 95 as smooth as ever. I'll trade it in next year for a newer Aveo.

By Candace on 05/19/09 21:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I only had my car two year and it broke down on me in the summer and it only had 67,000 miles on it. The thermostat housing melted the auto repair man said that it happened only because of how cheap the car was made and what it was made of. The car being fuel efficient is great but if something happens and it over heats then you need to get a new engine which is worth what the car it worth. I would not recommend this to anyone.

Best car I have ever had
By E Smith on 03/20/09 21:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I now have over 100,000 miles on my car and it has only been in the shop for maintenance. Drives great and has LOTS of power. I can go all the way up the Grapevine (in Calif) at 65 mph no problem. The only challenge I have had is that is seems to have trouble starting up first thing in the morning (especially when its cold). My husband, children and myself are all very all people and we fit in this car very easily with plenty of leg room (yes looks are deceiving). This car has lots of room for hauling things around. Maneuverability is good - lots of fun to drive. The key maintenance issues are to be faithful about oil changes and change the timing chain every 40,000 to 50,000 miles.

Long term information
By KW on 04/19/08 23:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 56,000 miles on my 5 spd hatchback. Love it. Absolutely no problems, never been in the shop. Ride is very smooth and controlled. Turns on a dime (18 ft turning circle). Lifetime average MPG is at 34.7, top was 44, lowest was 27, but only been below 30 MPG four times. Last 6 months overall average is 38.9 MPG. I can't believe the value I got with this purchase. Engine just purrs. Ride is quiet at 60-65 cruise speed (but I've been keeping it at 55 lately for better MPG). Acceleration is adequate for all my needs. Would by another without question. Fit and finish is supurb. Seat is comfortable for long drives. Plenty of room for backseat passengers.

Anemic
By Mark on 10/03/07 12:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Since my purchase of a 2005 Aveo, I have been greatly disappointed. I had a Geo Metro Hatchback (3 Cyl) that had more get up and go than this car with 15mpg more than what I am now receiving. The tires wore out in 25000 miles of highway driving. The A/C is marginal, and the auto- transmission is absolutely the worst. I also have a Plymouth Voyager, it gets almost the same gas mileage as the 1000lb smaller car with 2 more cyclinders to feed gas. I'm lucky to get 25 mpg in city, a corvette will get the same driven moderately. This is one of the poorest cars GM has put their badge on, period. For the same amount of money, go buy a Honda Accord or Civic.

It's a good car
By brian Spears on 08/18/06 20:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I think the Chevrolet Aveo is a wonderful car. It sits up high, seats are firm. It has a lot of room, especially with the back seats folded up. The engine's not too thirsty. I get about 37 miles to the gallon on the highway, but that's with a K&N air filter, running synthetic oil as well. I firmly believe that it is just as good as a Honda or Toyota, of similar size. The car is getting even better looking in 2007 with available leatherette seats, six disc changer and refreshed exterior.

I love my Metro all grown up!!
By John McCommas on 12/17/05 21:14 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with this car and I knew I had to have it as soon as I saw it. It reminds me so much of my little blue Metro that I bought in 1994. Those engines in those cars did stink when they got old but they were so much fun to drive. Great on gas too. I have a few beefs though about the Aveo. I don't think the blue was sharp enough. I hated the pastel blue and the other blue just did not pop. So I got the red which does pop. The other thing is I got an automatic and I find it does not shift right a lot of times. It is stuck in a lower gear and you have to pump the gas a little to get the gears to move so the ride is smooth again.

I Love My Aveo
By zensmile on 12/05/05 12:13 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It is a fun car to drive, kinda like a super go-cart for big kids. I really like the way this car drives and it is peppy for being only 1.6L--a great city car and good for short trips (200-350 miles).

I love my Aveo
By Ilona on 11/18/05 01:34 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My parents bought an 05 Chevy Aveo LT (the hatchback version) for me as my first car. I'm an 18 year old college student and this car is perfect for me. It gets me to school, to see my friends, and do whatever else I need. I've driven in it for over 4 hours with my dad on vacation, and am going to take it to Lake Tahoe (a 6-7 hr drive from LA) in a few weeks for winter break. It's an overall reliable vehicle, roomy enough to fit 5 people (4 without a problem), and to top it off is super cute. I get compliments on it all the time, and all my friends + family love to drive in it with me. I love this car!