Faulty timing belt and shifter. Lemon!
By AshleyFeucht on
2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)
Timing belt broke at 47K miles (well before the recommended 60K replacement). As a result, I had to spend $2,170 to replace the belt and cylinder head. Also, shifter sticks when pulling out of park. These are two VERY common problems. GM refuses to compensate me and I plan to organize a class action lawsuit and/or take GM to small claims court. The only reason this car is still on the market is because not enough consumers are complaining. If you have the same problems, please speak up!
Favorite Features
Gas mileage
Suggested Improvements
Timing belt and interference engine cause major problems. Shifter needs improvement as it sticks in park.
By tamibarney
on 01/15/11 20:44 PM (PST)

I bought a 2004 Chevy Aveo brand new. It has been a great car until now. On 12/30/2010 the timing belt broke and ruined the top end. The car has 64,000 miles and before that the air conditioner motor sometimes fails to operate. It also has begun to stick in park. When the timing belt broke I started investigating others with this problem. I wished I had been notified by GM to check the timing belt at 30,000 miles as I would have saved a bundle of money in repairs. My Aveo was down for 2 weeks. And I am out thousands of dollars.

By fedup30
on 01/12/12 09:04 AM (PST)

I bought a 2004 Aveo also. It was a pretty good car until 2 yrs ago. I have had to timing belt break on me twice within a 2 yr. period. When I got it fixxed both times I was told the Valve would adjust automatically but now I'm finding out differently. Now my CV Axle has gone out. When I tell you I am fedup man I am fedup. I wish I had been notified by someone not to even purchase this car.