Used 2004 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Most Helpful|
Would not recomend this vehicle
By M Hoffert

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

In 2007 we bought a 2004 Chevy Aveo LS used with around 55000 miles. At 65000 miles the timing belt broke causing major damage to the valves, guides, and pistons. At that time it seemed the only place parts could be obtained or a different engine was thru a GM dealership. A different engine was cost prohibitive. After sitting a year and two months I started working on it this week. In the process of repair I wanted to install a new transmission input shaft seal(automatic). The local parts stores said it was a GM item. Upon contacting my GM dealer they said you have to buy the whole case to get the seal. Cost around $1000. Chevys wonder, owners nightmare.

Good first car
By Paully

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Not many problems my extended warranty didn't cover, but almost no point in the extended, most repairs under $300. interior quality could be better, i don't like the cheap plastic siding. cheap parts brake (they are usually cheap on any car though-windshield wipers) caps on the wheels keep getting stolen, a/c went a few times, just a wiring issue. rear brakes locked after i went through a car wash (dust and dirt got in, got wet, cemented) drive car after washing to dry out the drums, clean drums to prevent. payed too much is my only real complaint bought 2 years ago it was 9,995 for the 2004. had one issue with clutch, safety button failed couldn't start car, easy fix $80.

Favorite Features

Roomy, zippy, keyless, good mileage. Drive from Welland to fort Erie 3 times a week, plus in town and still only costs me about $20 a week to fill or less.

Suggested Improvements

cd player changed mine in the first month(upgrade no mechanical reason to change) cruise, buttons on steering wheel for radio.

I love my Aveo LS Hatchback. - 2004
By patrick

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven a 2004 Aveo LS for 6 yrs and have not had to replace any parts except a gas cap (19.50). Mileage is great, seating comfortable and can hook up a canine seat belt to the back or front seat belts apparatus. I plan to drive it 2-3 more years.

Favorite Features

Quality, Mileage, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

GPS in the car would be great

Not horrible, but not great
By lovethepudge

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Lets just say that thankfully my dad knows his way around cars or this review could be much worse. I bought my 2004 Chevy Aveo in 2008 with 95,000 miles, it’s now at 116,000 miles. In the 4.5 years that I have owned it, we have replaced the gas cap, the catalytic converter, one of the pulleys just broke and the serpentine belt came off. (thankfully it wasn’t the timing belt) I had the timing belt replaced right after I bought it in 2008. All new tires, replaced rotors (causing the front end to shake when I hit the brakes, nothing major). New muffler in 2011. The transmission sticks when it gets too cold outside. (It’s been doing that for a few years now).

Favorite Features

How small it is. I can park anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Needs power windows and locks.

Never again buy gm product
By doug

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My car broke timing belt at a light and i am now replacing the engine. When it runs again i will trade for almost anything. You have to replace timing belt every 30,000 miles. They should give money back and take care back. crazy.

Favorite Features

nothing

Suggested Improvements

nothing