2004 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
My lady bug AKA my chevy aveo 1.6L 4cyl
By Tim hershy on 09/29/09 21:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Chevy aveo with 32000 and i now have 45000. just recent i had a new timing belt put on because there know to brake at 4000 to 6000 miles. something else you need to keep a good eye on is the plastic thermostat. upgrade is i had aftermarket cruse control installed on my aveo. Good luck if y buy the chevy aveo I had just these 2 problems with my aveo but any car can have problems !! I,m planing to buy another one my next Car purchase.

Would not recomend this vehicle
By M Hoffert on 08/14/09 19:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

In 2007 we bought a 2004 Chevy Aveo LS used with around 55000 miles. At 65000 miles the timing belt broke causing major damage to the valves, guides, and pistons. At that time it seemed the only place parts could be obtained or a different engine was thru a GM dealership. A different engine was cost prohibitive. After sitting a year and two months I started working on it this week. In the process of repair I wanted to install a new transmission input shaft seal(automatic). The local parts stores said it was a GM item. Upon contacting my GM dealer they said you have to buy the whole case to get the seal. Cost around $1000. Chevys wonder, owners nightmare.

I bought a lemon too
By I bought a lemon too on 05/14/09 11:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it at 1yr old and 7000 miles. First the engine light goes on if gas cap not tight. Windshield wiper bolt stripped so I only had 1 wiper working. After 3 years and 30000, break lights do not work. All bulbs blew at once. It's an electrical problem. Dealership thought they fixed it. 1 week later same problem all bulbs blew. After 40,000 miles shocks are worn, car getting bouncy. The last straw, The car was hit and totaled. Thank goodness I was hit on passenger side, because if I had been on the passenger side I would be a goner. The window exploded, glass everywhere, I was cut. thank goodness for seatbelts. All cars should have side air bags standard.

Toy car
By Konstantine on 04/14/09 11:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is awful, timing belt snapped at 4500 miles, replaced engine and never worked the same again. Multiple problems in the design yet GM still doesn't do anything about it. Don't be fooled, this is NOT an American-made car. It's a Daewoo Lanos in a Suzuki designed body. I cringe every time I see one on the road now, GM should scrap it as it is giving them a terrible reputation.

Wouldn't recommend one to anyone
By Driving Junk on 02/12/09 12:49 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Timing belt broke 45,000 took out all but one valve. Coil pack went out 55,000. Right rear wheel bearing went out 59,000. Catalytic converter went out 60,000. Alarm system goes off on its own 63,000. Right rear wheel bearing went out second time disintegrating locking up rear wheel, no warning. 110,000 windshield leak above steering wheel, only when setting. Hood release cable snapped 112,000. Rear hatch latch stopped working 113,000. Gas mileage never better then 32mpg

Korean Quality!
By Never Again on 01/19/09 14:46 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car was awful. I've owned it less than six months and I've had to put an average of $400 per month to keep it on the road. In the time that I have owned it, three of the four wheel bearings have gone bad, the tranny went, the engine is going.

Run Away and Never Return!
By necietoo on 12/16/08 08:15 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car was purchased as a gift brand new. I was very disappointed it didn't last 3years and the timing belt broke and the car was extremely damaged. Like 5600 dollars in damages the car only cost 9000 to 10000 dollars are you for real? Please, please, please do not buy this car. It will leave you stranded!

Very pleased with my Aveo
By Tom on 11/06/08 03:02 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have been very pleased with my Aveo, on average I get about 29-30 miles per gallon in town and when I'm on the open road I've averaged as high as 36- 37 miles per gallon. recently a dealer offered me well over the bluebook value for my aveo because they were looking to boost their inventory of smaller cars, but why should I get something new when I get the mileage that I do. Really have not had to put a great deal of money into it, just the basic and recommended things. Overall I can only say good things about my Aveo and that I won't be getting anything new soon, because the newer cars don't even get the miles per gallon my car does now.

Sporty and fun, but beware...
By Renea on 10/10/08 09:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have a base model. I was very pleased with my "new" car for the first 3 weeks. My first trip my car "clunked out" and was out of service for almost 3 months. The parts were hard to find and it turns out that the Cerpintine belt went out and everything else followed. Come to find out, when you get a new belt on these cars they need to be checked and tightened every 5000 miles. I wish I would have known that before hand. Keep tight wraps on the maintenance and this car serves well. Also, since the work on my car, I can not get the radio to work, and buying a used car, it didn't have the "access code" for the radio. When I call around to get it, they say it'll cost about $100.

Dissapointed Chevy Fan
By Chris on 06/25/08 18:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Fuel Economy significantly lower than advertised. Air conditioning performance declines every season, dealer has noted noise but did not fix. Wore out tires prematurely. Has suspension clunks in front and rear which dealer has noted but never fixed.Now it has a grinding in the front which comes and goes but "could not be reproduced by dealer.Our new car is now more disappointing to drive than the 96 we sold when we bought the Aveo. I have always been a supporter and fan of Chevy. The Aveo and Doug Chevy have changed that. I will never buy a new Chevy again.