Used 2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Do not buy this car.
By Alexz1105

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The problems every Aveo owner is venting on (timing belt) happened to myself as well. I was on my way home after work and all of sudden my car stopped. Turns out the timing belt busted causing me to have to get another used engine since the valves were bent, and the head gasket was blown. Which cost me a total of $2300.00, now after that pricey repair I had to have my fuel module repaired plus, my O2 sensor which costs me another $700. It's heartbreaking because I figured it's a Chevrolet product and they are a reliable brand. But the more I read about this car I find its manufacturer is Daewoo. Who the heck are they? Case in Point don't buy this car get a Toyota, Yaris.

Favorite Features

Great on gas before 50,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Trade in the car before it hits 50,000 miles.

Low cost commute
By Texas Commuter

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for $9k in 2005 with only 10k miles on it. I have a 20 mile commute, half highway half city. I get around 32 hwy and 30 average. It started missing in year 3 but new plugs fixed the problem. Also a sensor on the brake pedal broke and would not shift into gear. At 80k replaced the timing belt and water pump at the same time. Ran great. At 137k now it needs some engine repairs. Waiting to hear on cost.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Easy to park. Easy to use controls. Good visibility. Roomier inside than it looks.

Suggested Improvements

Center arm rest. Cruise control. Bigger cupholders for front passenger.

It all started so well...
By tbonme

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought the car I loved the gas mileage and the way it moved. Then about a year after owning it things started going down hill. First the serpentine belt lost a huge chunk and had to be replaced. Then the AC/heater started to (and still to this day)only come on when it wanted to. Last week the driver door lock fell into the door, and before that the driver window decided to not go down and finally though it has a new battery and all fuses checked out the clock changes time every time you turn the car off.

Favorite Features

How roomy the inside is

Suggested Improvements

Better Quality Parts! Just because it is a subcompact does not mean it should have sub-par parts.

Run Away and Never Return!
By necietoo

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car was purchased as a gift brand new. I was very disappointed it didn't last 3years and the timing belt broke and the car was extremely damaged. Like 5600 dollars in damages the car only cost 9000 to 10000 dollars are you for real? Please, please, please do not buy this car. It will leave you stranded!

Favorite Features

The key-lock only for the driver side door.

Suggested Improvements

Make a better engine period. Take advice from Honda, Nissan, or Toyota

Very pleased with my Aveo
By Tom

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have been very pleased with my Aveo, on average I get about 29-30 miles per gallon in town and when I'm on the open road I've averaged as high as 36- 37 miles per gallon. recently a dealer offered me well over the bluebook value for my aveo because they were looking to boost their inventory of smaller cars, but why should I get something new when I get the mileage that I do. Really have not had to put a great deal of money into it, just the basic and recommended things. Overall I can only say good things about my Aveo and that I won't be getting anything new soon, because the newer cars don't even get the miles per gallon my car does now.

Favorite Features

Like dashboard it seems to be well thought out, at least in my mind. Also, it can hold its own accelerating onto freeways and highways.

Suggested Improvements

As in any small car the tires seem to wear out fairy quickly and the Aveo is no different at least in my opinion. Could use a louder and more powerful sounding horn, to get the attention of the big boys on the road and little more headroom as I hit my head exiting the car from time to time.