2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
Unreliable
By elizabeth on 04/11/10 13:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced all 4 door locks, fell inside door twice within 4 years. Seat belts recalled just added cheap plastic to keep from twisting. Part that retracts seat belt fails after a few uses. Safety not Chevrolet's concern. Factory failed to seal gasket. Radio quit after a few months wouldn't turn on, daytime running lights didn't work within first 12 months. Mpg in town I have a car now getting same gas mileage as my aveo. Not reliable at all toward the end had in shop 3 out of 4 days. Front wheel bearing went. This car was babied and fell apart at 40,000 miles. Better have deep pockets. Not an low maintenance car.

low miles engine blow
By 04aveo on 02/09/10 16:26 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

No Major problems with this car till now. Just driving along and timing belt broke and blew engine. Quotes from 2800.00 to 3500.00 that's almost half the sticker price which 7750.00. I just paid the thing off not real happy. The more I read about this money pit the more I think I should just get another car

2004 Aveo are Junk
By LS on 01/13/10 06:36 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The 2004 Aevo are Junk the timing belt goes bad and you have to buy a new Engine or spend as much as you have in the car to replace it . The belt comes off while driving and there goe you valves and head.only 3500.00 to get it fixed oh what a deal GM has going with this one . I will tell everybody who reads this not to buy this car or any one like it with a timing belt made of rubber.

My lady bug AKA my chevy aveo 1.6L 4cyl
By Tim hershy on 09/29/09 21:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Chevy aveo with 32000 and i now have 45000. just recent i had a new timing belt put on because there know to brake at 4000 to 6000 miles. something else you need to keep a good eye on is the plastic thermostat. upgrade is i had aftermarket cruse control installed on my aveo. Good luck if y buy the chevy aveo I had just these 2 problems with my aveo but any car can have problems !! I,m planing to buy another one my next Car purchase.

Would not recomend this vehicle
By M Hoffert on 08/14/09 19:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

In 2007 we bought a 2004 Chevy Aveo LS used with around 55000 miles. At 65000 miles the timing belt broke causing major damage to the valves, guides, and pistons. At that time it seemed the only place parts could be obtained or a different engine was thru a GM dealership. A different engine was cost prohibitive. After sitting a year and two months I started working on it this week. In the process of repair I wanted to install a new transmission input shaft seal(automatic). The local parts stores said it was a GM item. Upon contacting my GM dealer they said you have to buy the whole case to get the seal. Cost around $1000. Chevys wonder, owners nightmare.

I bought a lemon too
By I bought a lemon too on 05/14/09 11:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it at 1yr old and 7000 miles. First the engine light goes on if gas cap not tight. Windshield wiper bolt stripped so I only had 1 wiper working. After 3 years and 30000, break lights do not work. All bulbs blew at once. It's an electrical problem. Dealership thought they fixed it. 1 week later same problem all bulbs blew. After 40,000 miles shocks are worn, car getting bouncy. The last straw, The car was hit and totaled. Thank goodness I was hit on passenger side, because if I had been on the passenger side I would be a goner. The window exploded, glass everywhere, I was cut. thank goodness for seatbelts. All cars should have side air bags standard.

Toy car
By Konstantine on 04/14/09 11:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is awful, timing belt snapped at 4500 miles, replaced engine and never worked the same again. Multiple problems in the design yet GM still doesn't do anything about it. Don't be fooled, this is NOT an American-made car. It's a Daewoo Lanos in a Suzuki designed body. I cringe every time I see one on the road now, GM should scrap it as it is giving them a terrible reputation.

Wouldn't recommend one to anyone
By Driving Junk on 02/12/09 12:49 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Timing belt broke 45,000 took out all but one valve. Coil pack went out 55,000. Right rear wheel bearing went out 59,000. Catalytic converter went out 60,000. Alarm system goes off on its own 63,000. Right rear wheel bearing went out second time disintegrating locking up rear wheel, no warning. 110,000 windshield leak above steering wheel, only when setting. Hood release cable snapped 112,000. Rear hatch latch stopped working 113,000. Gas mileage never better then 32mpg

Korean Quality!
By Never Again on 01/19/09 14:46 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car was awful. I've owned it less than six months and I've had to put an average of $400 per month to keep it on the road. In the time that I have owned it, three of the four wheel bearings have gone bad, the tranny went, the engine is going.

Dissapointed Chevy Fan
By Chris on 06/25/08 18:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Fuel Economy significantly lower than advertised. Air conditioning performance declines every season, dealer has noted noise but did not fix. Wore out tires prematurely. Has suspension clunks in front and rear which dealer has noted but never fixed.Now it has a grinding in the front which comes and goes but "could not be reproduced by dealer.Our new car is now more disappointing to drive than the 96 we sold when we bought the Aveo. I have always been a supporter and fan of Chevy. The Aveo and Doug Chevy have changed that. I will never buy a new Chevy again.