Used 2004 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

2004 chevy aveo automatic
By brenneman00

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2004 chevy aveo. around 56,000 miles, the timing belt broke once. so i got a good deal on a wrecked aveo motor and i replace the whole motor $800 including motor and labor. Around 17,000 miles more, the water pump dropped, breaking the timing belt once again. then i paid $1000 and had to have the whole motor rebuilt. and there is still a bunch of problems. i do not recommand this car at all. its been nothing but problems.

Favorite Features

easy on gas

Suggested Improvements

the whole motor.

My Little Aveo
By happy2bfree

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I just got my used 2004 Chevy Aveo this year. I love the car, just hope I never get into a wreck. You can lean on the outside and it dents in. That's how thin or weak the metal is on the outside. Also... it has very poor pick up power on the highway. A little old lady gave me a dirty look as she passed me up on the highway. I love the space I have inside. Lots of headroom for me. I'm 5'5" and the one thing I hate is my seatbelt still cuts me at the neck, and it's in the lowest spot. Other than some miner things like that, and low pick up power up and down hills, and the fact it doesn't seem very strong in the body, I love the car. Made in S. Korea though. :(

Favorite Features

Small, has lots of headroom.

Suggested Improvements

Seatbelt needs to be able to come lower so as not to cut one off at the neck. (very annoying) Also, the body needs to be much stronger. Better power up and down hills would be great. Cuter color options would be nice. (lime green or metalic light blue)?

Good first car
By Paully

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Not many problems my extended warranty didn't cover, but almost no point in the extended, most repairs under $300. interior quality could be better, i don't like the cheap plastic siding. cheap parts brake (they are usually cheap on any car though-windshield wipers) caps on the wheels keep getting stolen, a/c went a few times, just a wiring issue. rear brakes locked after i went through a car wash (dust and dirt got in, got wet, cemented) drive car after washing to dry out the drums, clean drums to prevent. payed too much is my only real complaint bought 2 years ago it was 9,995 for the 2004. had one issue with clutch, safety button failed couldn't start car, easy fix $80.

Favorite Features

Roomy, zippy, keyless, good mileage. Drive from Welland to fort Erie 3 times a week, plus in town and still only costs me about $20 a week to fill or less.

Suggested Improvements

cd player changed mine in the first month(upgrade no mechanical reason to change) cruise, buttons on steering wheel for radio.

Faulty timing belt and shifter. Lemon!
By AshleyFeucht

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Timing belt broke at 47K miles (well before the recommended 60K replacement). As a result, I had to spend $2,170 to replace the belt and cylinder head. Also, shifter sticks when pulling out of park. These are two VERY common problems. GM refuses to compensate me and I plan to organize a class action lawsuit and/or take GM to small claims court. The only reason this car is still on the market is because not enough consumers are complaining. If you have the same problems, please speak up!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Timing belt and interference engine cause major problems. Shifter needs improvement as it sticks in park.

Good little Car
By Julie

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in April used from my sister. It has 71,000 miles on it and have had no problems at all. I also drove this car from Chicago Illinois out to Seattle Washington and it did great! It is a small car but actually very roomy in the interior, I have had multiple people say that. My boyfriend who is 6'1 and 240 pounds said he was comfortable. I take very good care of my cars and am always up to date on car fluids, check ups, etc. Not caring properly for the car may be the reason why people have problems with it. Always check to make sure the car was well maintained when buying used.

Favorite Features

Front dash, roominess of interior.

Suggested Improvements

More horse power