2004 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
Don't BUY!!
By jabbab on 06/12/10 08:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 Aveo back in '07, was a good car and great millage. That said, if the timing belt goes, or, in my case, the pulley, you're stuck. The timing belt is worthless in this vehicle, and if it goes, and you drive on that, just for a foot or two, you vales, engine, everything is destroyed! Do not buy this vehicle. It looks cute on the outside but is crap on the inside especially the engine!

I love my Aveo LS Hatchback. - 2004
By patrick on 05/28/10 09:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven a 2004 Aveo LS for 6 yrs and have not had to replace any parts except a gas cap (19.50). Mileage is great, seating comfortable and can hook up a canine seat belt to the back or front seat belts apparatus. I plan to drive it 2-3 more years.

Never again buy gm product
By doug on 05/27/10 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My car broke timing belt at a light and i am now replacing the engine. When it runs again i will trade for almost anything. You have to replace timing belt every 30,000 miles. They should give money back and take care back. crazy.

excellent runabout
By lips on 04/24/10 11:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought car new. No problems in 76000. this is a much better car than it's reputation maybe problems are due to improper or lack of maintenance. .

Crap
By 2004 aveo owner on 04/12/10 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car right from the beginning it has been nothing but trouble. I have had problems with the radio and heater I turn car off it stays on, they supposedly fixed it several times, also had timing belt problem, temperature casing split, I replaced, back wheel all had to be replaced, oil or something spraying out, transmission sticks, brake switch had to be replaced, twice this car is a nightmare, called Chevy main plant and they didn't want anything to do with my complaints. Let me tell you, I will never buy a Chevy again no wonder everyone is turning to ford or jeep and I have around 78k on my car so reading all this I guess the engine is due to go. GREAT

Unreliable
By elizabeth on 04/11/10 13:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced all 4 door locks, fell inside door twice within 4 years. Seat belts recalled just added cheap plastic to keep from twisting. Part that retracts seat belt fails after a few uses. Safety not Chevrolet's concern. Factory failed to seal gasket. Radio quit after a few months wouldn't turn on, daytime running lights didn't work within first 12 months. Mpg in town I have a car now getting same gas mileage as my aveo. Not reliable at all toward the end had in shop 3 out of 4 days. Front wheel bearing went. This car was babied and fell apart at 40,000 miles. Better have deep pockets. Not an low maintenance car.

Do not buy this car.
By Alexz1105 on 04/09/10 15:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The problems every Aveo owner is venting on (timing belt) happened to myself as well. I was on my way home after work and all of sudden my car stopped. Turns out the timing belt busted causing me to have to get another used engine since the valves were bent, and the head gasket was blown. Which cost me a total of $2300.00, now after that pricey repair I had to have my fuel module repaired plus, my O2 sensor which costs me another $700. It's heartbreaking because I figured it's a Chevrolet product and they are a reliable brand. But the more I read about this car I find its manufacturer is Daewoo. Who the heck are they? Case in Point don't buy this car get a Toyota, Yaris.

Low cost commute
By Texas Commuter on 04/02/10 07:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for $9k in 2005 with only 10k miles on it. I have a 20 mile commute, half highway half city. I get around 32 hwy and 30 average. It started missing in year 3 but new plugs fixed the problem. Also a sensor on the brake pedal broke and would not shift into gear. At 80k replaced the timing belt and water pump at the same time. Ran great. At 137k now it needs some engine repairs. Waiting to hear on cost.

low miles engine blow
By 04aveo on 02/09/10 16:26 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

No Major problems with this car till now. Just driving along and timing belt broke and blew engine. Quotes from 2800.00 to 3500.00 that's almost half the sticker price which 7750.00. I just paid the thing off not real happy. The more I read about this money pit the more I think I should just get another car

It all started so well...
By tbonme on 02/05/10 19:29 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought the car I loved the gas mileage and the way it moved. Then about a year after owning it things started going down hill. First the serpentine belt lost a huge chunk and had to be replaced. Then the AC/heater started to (and still to this day)only come on when it wanted to. Last week the driver door lock fell into the door, and before that the driver window decided to not go down and finally though it has a new battery and all fuses checked out the clock changes time every time you turn the car off.