Used 2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Faulty timing belt and shifter. Lemon!
By AshleyFeucht

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Timing belt broke at 47K miles (well before the recommended 60K replacement). As a result, I had to spend $2,170 to replace the belt and cylinder head. Also, shifter sticks when pulling out of park. These are two VERY common problems. GM refuses to compensate me and I plan to organize a class action lawsuit and/or take GM to small claims court. The only reason this car is still on the market is because not enough consumers are complaining. If you have the same problems, please speak up!

Gas mileage

Timing belt and interference engine cause major problems. Shifter needs improvement as it sticks in park.

low miles engine blow
By 04aveo

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

No Major problems with this car till now. Just driving along and timing belt broke and blew engine. Quotes from 2800.00 to 3500.00 that's almost half the sticker price which 7750.00. I just paid the thing off not real happy. The more I read about this money pit the more I think I should just get another car

liked the size made parking easy good gas miles

drink holder shouldn't be right above ash tray. should improve visablity issues.

Very Good Compact!
By Ron Sedor

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I own two of these cars, an '07 sedan and a '04 five door. I have been very impressed with the handling and ride quality of the '04. With some adroit shifting I have been able to achieve 32 mpg city/highway. I have had no problem traveling up a good sized incline in 5th gear.(altough many reveiwers say this is not possible). Altough the shifting may not be as percise as some of its Japanese counterparts, I personely perfer the longer shifter stalk in the Aveo. Altogether a very good subcompact.

Euro styling, gas mileage. Gauge cluster. Long throw shifter.

None, very good compact car!

Good
By be

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this vehicle 300 miles every weekend and another 200 miles during the week. It is a very reliable car, and the fuel economy is great. It handles suprisingly well for its size, and winter driving is not much of a problem. The interior is of decent design, but I believe it could be cleaned up some. Arm rests would be nice.

Great fuel economy

Arm rests, and a sleeker looking interior.

Best $7,000 I ever bought
By whf147

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

As a previous Chevy Sprint owner I would say this is the car of the century. I paid $1,000 more for this vehicle than the 1986 Chevy Sprint I bought. I got 180,000 miles out of that vehicle. I bought this Aveo in Oct of 2004 and I have 46,000 trouble free miles on it.