Used 2004 Chevrolet Aveo Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Not horrible, but not great
By lovethepudge

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Lets just say that thankfully my dad knows his way around cars or this review could be much worse. I bought my 2004 Chevy Aveo in 2008 with 95,000 miles, it’s now at 116,000 miles. In the 4.5 years that I have owned it, we have replaced the gas cap, the catalytic converter, one of the pulleys just broke and the serpentine belt came off. (thankfully it wasn’t the timing belt) I had the timing belt replaced right after I bought it in 2008. All new tires, replaced rotors (causing the front end to shake when I hit the brakes, nothing major). New muffler in 2011. The transmission sticks when it gets too cold outside. (It’s been doing that for a few years now).

Favorite Features

How small it is. I can park anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Needs power windows and locks.

TIMING BELT BROKE
By rich200

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Many reviews of this car featured a broken timing belt. I have the same story, but it happened on the highway. Thankfully I was in the slow lane -- had I been in the fast lane I would have been killed. Standing on the side of a busy highway waiting for AAA is scary enough. Needed a new belt and top part of the engine. Total repair $2500, but four visits to the repair shop later I decided to junk the car and got $2500 from a dealer using figures from autotrader.com. No harm, no foul and now I have a brand new Honda Fit and vow never, ever to buy a Chevrolet product again.

Good first car
By Paully

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Not many problems my extended warranty didn't cover, but almost no point in the extended, most repairs under $300. interior quality could be better, i don't like the cheap plastic siding. cheap parts brake (they are usually cheap on any car though-windshield wipers) caps on the wheels keep getting stolen, a/c went a few times, just a wiring issue. rear brakes locked after i went through a car wash (dust and dirt got in, got wet, cemented) drive car after washing to dry out the drums, clean drums to prevent. payed too much is my only real complaint bought 2 years ago it was 9,995 for the 2004. had one issue with clutch, safety button failed couldn't start car, easy fix $80.

Favorite Features

Roomy, zippy, keyless, good mileage. Drive from Welland to fort Erie 3 times a week, plus in town and still only costs me about $20 a week to fill or less.

Suggested Improvements

cd player changed mine in the first month(upgrade no mechanical reason to change) cruise, buttons on steering wheel for radio.

Good little Car
By Julie

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in April used from my sister. It has 71,000 miles on it and have had no problems at all. I also drove this car from Chicago Illinois out to Seattle Washington and it did great! It is a small car but actually very roomy in the interior, I have had multiple people say that. My boyfriend who is 6'1 and 240 pounds said he was comfortable. I take very good care of my cars and am always up to date on car fluids, check ups, etc. Not caring properly for the car may be the reason why people have problems with it. Always check to make sure the car was well maintained when buying used.

Favorite Features

Front dash, roominess of interior.

Suggested Improvements

More horse power

Don't BUY!!
By jabbab

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 Aveo back in '07, was a good car and great millage. That said, if the timing belt goes, or, in my case, the pulley, you're stuck. The timing belt is worthless in this vehicle, and if it goes, and you drive on that, just for a foot or two, you vales, engine, everything is destroyed! Do not buy this vehicle. It looks cute on the outside but is crap on the inside especially the engine!

Favorite Features

Good on Gas that's about it!

Suggested Improvements

Get a different engine. A durango engine isn't worth 2 cents!