2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
Not horrible, but not great
By lovethepudge on 04/18/13 12:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Lets just say that thankfully my dad knows his way around cars or this review could be much worse. I bought my 2004 Chevy Aveo in 2008 with 95,000 miles, it’s now at 116,000 miles. In the 4.5 years that I have owned it, we have replaced the gas cap, the catalytic converter, one of the pulleys just broke and the serpentine belt came off. (thankfully it wasn’t the timing belt) I had the timing belt replaced right after I bought it in 2008. All new tires, replaced rotors (causing the front end to shake when I hit the brakes, nothing major). New muffler in 2011. The transmission sticks when it gets too cold outside. (It’s been doing that for a few years now).

TIMING BELT BROKE
By rich200 on 01/27/13 13:45 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Many reviews of this car featured a broken timing belt. I have the same story, but it happened on the highway. Thankfully I was in the slow lane -- had I been in the fast lane I would have been killed. Standing on the side of a busy highway waiting for AAA is scary enough. Needed a new belt and top part of the engine. Total repair $2500, but four visits to the repair shop later I decided to junk the car and got $2500 from a dealer using figures from autotrader.com. No harm, no foul and now I have a brand new Honda Fit and vow never, ever to buy a Chevrolet product again.

Good first car
By Paully on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Not many problems my extended warranty didn't cover, but almost no point in the extended, most repairs under $300. interior quality could be better, i don't like the cheap plastic siding. cheap parts brake (they are usually cheap on any car though-windshield wipers) caps on the wheels keep getting stolen, a/c went a few times, just a wiring issue. rear brakes locked after i went through a car wash (dust and dirt got in, got wet, cemented) drive car after washing to dry out the drums, clean drums to prevent. payed too much is my only real complaint bought 2 years ago it was 9,995 for the 2004. had one issue with clutch, safety button failed couldn't start car, easy fix $80.

Faulty timing belt and shifter. Lemon!
By AshleyFeucht on 07/12/10 16:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Timing belt broke at 47K miles (well before the recommended 60K replacement). As a result, I had to spend $2,170 to replace the belt and cylinder head. Also, shifter sticks when pulling out of park. These are two VERY common problems. GM refuses to compensate me and I plan to organize a class action lawsuit and/or take GM to small claims court. The only reason this car is still on the market is because not enough consumers are complaining. If you have the same problems, please speak up!

Good little Car
By Julie on 07/02/10 09:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in April used from my sister. It has 71,000 miles on it and have had no problems at all. I also drove this car from Chicago Illinois out to Seattle Washington and it did great! It is a small car but actually very roomy in the interior, I have had multiple people say that. My boyfriend who is 6'1 and 240 pounds said he was comfortable. I take very good care of my cars and am always up to date on car fluids, check ups, etc. Not caring properly for the car may be the reason why people have problems with it. Always check to make sure the car was well maintained when buying used.

Don't BUY!!
By jabbab on 06/12/10 08:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 Aveo back in '07, was a good car and great millage. That said, if the timing belt goes, or, in my case, the pulley, you're stuck. The timing belt is worthless in this vehicle, and if it goes, and you drive on that, just for a foot or two, you vales, engine, everything is destroyed! Do not buy this vehicle. It looks cute on the outside but is crap on the inside especially the engine!

I love my Aveo LS Hatchback. - 2004
By patrick on 05/28/10 09:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven a 2004 Aveo LS for 6 yrs and have not had to replace any parts except a gas cap (19.50). Mileage is great, seating comfortable and can hook up a canine seat belt to the back or front seat belts apparatus. I plan to drive it 2-3 more years.

Never again buy gm product
By doug on 05/27/10 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My car broke timing belt at a light and i am now replacing the engine. When it runs again i will trade for almost anything. You have to replace timing belt every 30,000 miles. They should give money back and take care back. crazy.

excellent runabout
By lips on 04/24/10 11:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought car new. No problems in 76000. this is a much better car than it's reputation maybe problems are due to improper or lack of maintenance. .

Crap
By 2004 aveo owner on 04/12/10 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car right from the beginning it has been nothing but trouble. I have had problems with the radio and heater I turn car off it stays on, they supposedly fixed it several times, also had timing belt problem, temperature casing split, I replaced, back wheel all had to be replaced, oil or something spraying out, transmission sticks, brake switch had to be replaced, twice this car is a nightmare, called Chevy main plant and they didn't want anything to do with my complaints. Let me tell you, I will never buy a Chevy again no wonder everyone is turning to ford or jeep and I have around 78k on my car so reading all this I guess the engine is due to go. GREAT