2004 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
I love my Aveo LS Hatchback. - 2004
By patrick on 05/28/10 09:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven a 2004 Aveo LS for 6 yrs and have not had to replace any parts except a gas cap (19.50). Mileage is great, seating comfortable and can hook up a canine seat belt to the back or front seat belts apparatus. I plan to drive it 2-3 more years.

excellent runabout
By lips on 04/24/10 11:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought car new. No problems in 76000. this is a much better car than it's reputation maybe problems are due to improper or lack of maintenance. .

2004 Aveo are Junk
By LS on 01/13/10 06:36 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The 2004 Aevo are Junk the timing belt goes bad and you have to buy a new Engine or spend as much as you have in the car to replace it . The belt comes off while driving and there goe you valves and head.only 3500.00 to get it fixed oh what a deal GM has going with this one . I will tell everybody who reads this not to buy this car or any one like it with a timing belt made of rubber.

My lady bug AKA my chevy aveo 1.6L 4cyl
By Tim hershy on 09/29/09 21:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Chevy aveo with 32000 and i now have 45000. just recent i had a new timing belt put on because there know to brake at 4000 to 6000 miles. something else you need to keep a good eye on is the plastic thermostat. upgrade is i had aftermarket cruse control installed on my aveo. Good luck if y buy the chevy aveo I had just these 2 problems with my aveo but any car can have problems !! I,m planing to buy another one my next Car purchase.

Would not recomend this vehicle
By M Hoffert on 08/14/09 19:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

In 2007 we bought a 2004 Chevy Aveo LS used with around 55000 miles. At 65000 miles the timing belt broke causing major damage to the valves, guides, and pistons. At that time it seemed the only place parts could be obtained or a different engine was thru a GM dealership. A different engine was cost prohibitive. After sitting a year and two months I started working on it this week. In the process of repair I wanted to install a new transmission input shaft seal(automatic). The local parts stores said it was a GM item. Upon contacting my GM dealer they said you have to buy the whole case to get the seal. Cost around $1000. Chevys wonder, owners nightmare.

Toy car
By Konstantine on 04/14/09 11:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is awful, timing belt snapped at 4500 miles, replaced engine and never worked the same again. Multiple problems in the design yet GM still doesn't do anything about it. Don't be fooled, this is NOT an American-made car. It's a Daewoo Lanos in a Suzuki designed body. I cringe every time I see one on the road now, GM should scrap it as it is giving them a terrible reputation.

Wouldn't recommend one to anyone
By Driving Junk on 02/12/09 12:49 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Timing belt broke 45,000 took out all but one valve. Coil pack went out 55,000. Right rear wheel bearing went out 59,000. Catalytic converter went out 60,000. Alarm system goes off on its own 63,000. Right rear wheel bearing went out second time disintegrating locking up rear wheel, no warning. 110,000 windshield leak above steering wheel, only when setting. Hood release cable snapped 112,000. Rear hatch latch stopped working 113,000. Gas mileage never better then 32mpg

Dissapointed Chevy Fan
By Chris on 06/25/08 18:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Fuel Economy significantly lower than advertised. Air conditioning performance declines every season, dealer has noted noise but did not fix. Wore out tires prematurely. Has suspension clunks in front and rear which dealer has noted but never fixed.Now it has a grinding in the front which comes and goes but "could not be reproduced by dealer.Our new car is now more disappointing to drive than the 96 we sold when we bought the Aveo. I have always been a supporter and fan of Chevy. The Aveo and Doug Chevy have changed that. I will never buy a new Chevy again.

Suprisingly Solid and Roomy
By Angela on 06/07/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We just purchased this car when my grandma couldn't drive it anymore. It has 12,000 miles on it, and is in like new condition. Having driven only SUV's for a while, I am blown away at how well this little car handles and how much cab space there is for people. Our 2 teens and a 7 year old fit comfortably in back (as comfortable as our last SUV). Our first trip was 750 miles with 4 people (weighing 600 lbs. total) and packed to the hilt with our stuff. We got 34 mpg on the highway. Acceleration is good on the interstate, even on hills. I just took a 16 hour trip in a Toyota Matrix that didn't do so well and didn't handle as good. I'm only getting 22-26 mpg in the city, but I drive fast.

Thow away car
By notforchevy on 01/27/08 10:25 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased brand new, never drove it hard. Took it on trips, always maintained the vehicle. 70k hits and the crank shaft position sensor goes out and the car won't start. 73k hits, the timing belt broke and now I have to pay $2000 for a new engine. Right when I got it back the transmission went out. Out of control