2004 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
Not horrible, but not great
By lovethepudge on 04/18/13 12:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Lets just say that thankfully my dad knows his way around cars or this review could be much worse. I bought my 2004 Chevy Aveo in 2008 with 95,000 miles, it’s now at 116,000 miles. In the 4.5 years that I have owned it, we have replaced the gas cap, the catalytic converter, one of the pulleys just broke and the serpentine belt came off. (thankfully it wasn’t the timing belt) I had the timing belt replaced right after I bought it in 2008. All new tires, replaced rotors (causing the front end to shake when I hit the brakes, nothing major). New muffler in 2011. The transmission sticks when it gets too cold outside. (It’s been doing that for a few years now).

TIMING BELT BROKE
By rich200 on 01/27/13 13:45 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Many reviews of this car featured a broken timing belt. I have the same story, but it happened on the highway. Thankfully I was in the slow lane -- had I been in the fast lane I would have been killed. Standing on the side of a busy highway waiting for AAA is scary enough. Needed a new belt and top part of the engine. Total repair $2500, but four visits to the repair shop later I decided to junk the car and got $2500 from a dealer using figures from autotrader.com. No harm, no foul and now I have a brand new Honda Fit and vow never, ever to buy a Chevrolet product again.

Good first car
By Paully on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Not many problems my extended warranty didn't cover, but almost no point in the extended, most repairs under $300. interior quality could be better, i don't like the cheap plastic siding. cheap parts brake (they are usually cheap on any car though-windshield wipers) caps on the wheels keep getting stolen, a/c went a few times, just a wiring issue. rear brakes locked after i went through a car wash (dust and dirt got in, got wet, cemented) drive car after washing to dry out the drums, clean drums to prevent. payed too much is my only real complaint bought 2 years ago it was 9,995 for the 2004. had one issue with clutch, safety button failed couldn't start car, easy fix $80.

Good little Car
By Julie on 07/02/10 09:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in April used from my sister. It has 71,000 miles on it and have had no problems at all. I also drove this car from Chicago Illinois out to Seattle Washington and it did great! It is a small car but actually very roomy in the interior, I have had multiple people say that. My boyfriend who is 6'1 and 240 pounds said he was comfortable. I take very good care of my cars and am always up to date on car fluids, check ups, etc. Not caring properly for the car may be the reason why people have problems with it. Always check to make sure the car was well maintained when buying used.

Don't BUY!!
By jabbab on 06/12/10 08:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 Aveo back in '07, was a good car and great millage. That said, if the timing belt goes, or, in my case, the pulley, you're stuck. The timing belt is worthless in this vehicle, and if it goes, and you drive on that, just for a foot or two, you vales, engine, everything is destroyed! Do not buy this vehicle. It looks cute on the outside but is crap on the inside especially the engine!

Never again buy gm product
By doug on 05/27/10 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My car broke timing belt at a light and i am now replacing the engine. When it runs again i will trade for almost anything. You have to replace timing belt every 30,000 miles. They should give money back and take care back. crazy.

Crap
By 2004 aveo owner on 04/12/10 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car right from the beginning it has been nothing but trouble. I have had problems with the radio and heater I turn car off it stays on, they supposedly fixed it several times, also had timing belt problem, temperature casing split, I replaced, back wheel all had to be replaced, oil or something spraying out, transmission sticks, brake switch had to be replaced, twice this car is a nightmare, called Chevy main plant and they didn't want anything to do with my complaints. Let me tell you, I will never buy a Chevy again no wonder everyone is turning to ford or jeep and I have around 78k on my car so reading all this I guess the engine is due to go. GREAT

Unreliable
By elizabeth on 04/11/10 13:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced all 4 door locks, fell inside door twice within 4 years. Seat belts recalled just added cheap plastic to keep from twisting. Part that retracts seat belt fails after a few uses. Safety not Chevrolet's concern. Factory failed to seal gasket. Radio quit after a few months wouldn't turn on, daytime running lights didn't work within first 12 months. Mpg in town I have a car now getting same gas mileage as my aveo. Not reliable at all toward the end had in shop 3 out of 4 days. Front wheel bearing went. This car was babied and fell apart at 40,000 miles. Better have deep pockets. Not an low maintenance car.

I bought a lemon too
By I bought a lemon too on 05/14/09 11:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it at 1yr old and 7000 miles. First the engine light goes on if gas cap not tight. Windshield wiper bolt stripped so I only had 1 wiper working. After 3 years and 30000, break lights do not work. All bulbs blew at once. It's an electrical problem. Dealership thought they fixed it. 1 week later same problem all bulbs blew. After 40,000 miles shocks are worn, car getting bouncy. The last straw, The car was hit and totaled. Thank goodness I was hit on passenger side, because if I had been on the passenger side I would be a goner. The window exploded, glass everywhere, I was cut. thank goodness for seatbelts. All cars should have side air bags standard.

Korean Quality!
By Never Again on 01/19/09 14:46 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car was awful. I've owned it less than six months and I've had to put an average of $400 per month to keep it on the road. In the time that I have owned it, three of the four wheel bearings have gone bad, the tranny went, the engine is going.

1 2 3 4 5 next »