2004 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
Faulty timing belt and shifter. Lemon!
By AshleyFeucht on 07/12/10 16:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Timing belt broke at 47K miles (well before the recommended 60K replacement). As a result, I had to spend $2,170 to replace the belt and cylinder head. Also, shifter sticks when pulling out of park. These are two VERY common problems. GM refuses to compensate me and I plan to organize a class action lawsuit and/or take GM to small claims court. The only reason this car is still on the market is because not enough consumers are complaining. If you have the same problems, please speak up!

low miles engine blow
By 04aveo on 02/09/10 16:26 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

No Major problems with this car till now. Just driving along and timing belt broke and blew engine. Quotes from 2800.00 to 3500.00 that's almost half the sticker price which 7750.00. I just paid the thing off not real happy. The more I read about this money pit the more I think I should just get another car

Very Good Compact!
By Ron Sedor on 03/24/07 18:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I own two of these cars, an '07 sedan and a '04 five door. I have been very impressed with the handling and ride quality of the '04. With some adroit shifting I have been able to achieve 32 mpg city/highway. I have had no problem traveling up a good sized incline in 5th gear.(altough many reveiwers say this is not possible). Altough the shifting may not be as percise as some of its Japanese counterparts, I personely perfer the longer shifter stalk in the Aveo. Altogether a very good subcompact.

Good
By be on 12/19/06 06:02 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this vehicle 300 miles every weekend and another 200 miles during the week. It is a very reliable car, and the fuel economy is great. It handles suprisingly well for its size, and winter driving is not much of a problem. The interior is of decent design, but I believe it could be cleaned up some. Arm rests would be nice.

Best $7,000 I ever bought
By whf147 on 04/18/06 15:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

As a previous Chevy Sprint owner I would say this is the car of the century. I paid $1,000 more for this vehicle than the 1986 Chevy Sprint I bought. I got 180,000 miles out of that vehicle. I bought this Aveo in Oct of 2004 and I have 46,000 trouble free miles on it.

Very Thrilled
By Dotagnon on 03/29/06 18:04 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have never driven a car that has been so fun to drive as the Aveo. I studied up on it to look for the 'problem' areas before buying. I found them to not be a problem. The engine is a little loud (what the tester's said) for a new car, but is still competitive with all others. Either way, my sound system covers all of that up. I've also never driven something so manueverable as this. It looks tiny from the outside, but inside it fits four large people comfortably. It's incredible and an awesome buy.

things wrong
By bummer on 07/19/05 11:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

within the first month the heater motor went out, then would not heat, back in the shop again. then 2 months straight of taking it back in to have the tires balanced. first 4 months i owned this car, it was in the shop once a month. now it is back in again to have a marker light replaced when a clip broke (car not being hit or anything.) also to have the back seat fixed. it was put down and up, when it was put back down, it came out of alignment and would not latch on one side. new seat bracket having to be ordered.

AVEO
By kaden on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Shifting from 1st to 2nd, the clutch is a bit sticky. Hard braking seems to pull the car left a bit.

Surprisingly solid so far
By allosab on 01/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Zippy, sleek, excellent no-frills get from point A to point B kind of car. It's a lot of fun to drive, for sure!

Surprisingly solid so far!
By Sabrina in L.A. on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased the Aveo and find it to be amazingly solid for an economy car! The ride is smooth on the street and the highway, and I feel safe in it. The Aveo is superior to the Kia Rio when it comes to its design, both inside and out. Kia may offer a longer warranty, but you won't feel like you're driving a reliable car at all. It's a zippy, sporty car and if the Honda Civic had a little sister, the Aveo would be it.