Used 2004 Chevrolet Aveo Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

2004 Chevy Aveo Automatic Sedan
By mtngirl4

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I'm shocked at all the bad reviews with this car. My hubbie and I bought this car used at a dealership with just under 29,000 km on it. The dealership changed the fuel pump before we bought it (had been sitting in a garage for a while). They only thing that was a problem was in the first year the breaks locked and we had to have it towed. We had to replace all the break pads.

Favorite Features

After 2 years we had an oxygen sensor break causing the car to keep stalling. Cost us $500 to fix it, mostly due to labour. We've now had the Aveo for 3 yrs and have about 99000 km on it. We have just had our timing belt and water pump replaced (no, it didn't break), spark plug and wires replaced. Other than basics like oil and transmission fluid change and replacing tires, we've had to do nothing. Parts are easy to find and relativity cheap. We wanted an inexpensive, basic car that was good on gas. That's what we got. This isn't a high quality car and I don't expect it to run like one. If you do basic maintenance it's fine. I would buy this car again.

Do Not Recommend
By rachelwww

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car at 57000 miles. The timing belt broke at 79000, apparently timing belts in this car like to murder themselves and the cars engine in the process. with a price tag of $1500-2200 to fix. This problem came along with other repairs that should not have had to be done in accordance with annual maintenance on the car, such as the air intake replacement and replacing and fixing various other cheaply made parts, the repair costs for this car have nearly outweighed the cost of it in the first place. Also it took me a week to find the cupholder. NOT a user friendly vehicle.

Favorite Features

it was a pretty blue

Suggested Improvements

timing belts in these cars need to have a recall and GM needs to pay for the repairs, I might also suggest some time in a car crusher.

2004 chevy aveo automatic
By brenneman00

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2004 chevy aveo. around 56,000 miles, the timing belt broke once. so i got a good deal on a wrecked aveo motor and i replace the whole motor $800 including motor and labor. Around 17,000 miles more, the water pump dropped, breaking the timing belt once again. then i paid $1000 and had to have the whole motor rebuilt. and there is still a bunch of problems. i do not recommand this car at all. its been nothing but problems.

Favorite Features

easy on gas

Suggested Improvements

the whole motor.

My Little Aveo
By happy2bfree

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I just got my used 2004 Chevy Aveo this year. I love the car, just hope I never get into a wreck. You can lean on the outside and it dents in. That's how thin or weak the metal is on the outside. Also... it has very poor pick up power on the highway. A little old lady gave me a dirty look as she passed me up on the highway. I love the space I have inside. Lots of headroom for me. I'm 5'5" and the one thing I hate is my seatbelt still cuts me at the neck, and it's in the lowest spot. Other than some miner things like that, and low pick up power up and down hills, and the fact it doesn't seem very strong in the body, I love the car. Made in S. Korea though. :(

Favorite Features

Small, has lots of headroom.

Suggested Improvements

Seatbelt needs to be able to come lower so as not to cut one off at the neck. (very annoying) Also, the body needs to be much stronger. Better power up and down hills would be great. Cuter color options would be nice. (lime green or metalic light blue)?

Low cost commute
By Texas Commuter

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for $9k in 2005 with only 10k miles on it. I have a 20 mile commute, half highway half city. I get around 32 hwy and 30 average. It started missing in year 3 but new plugs fixed the problem. Also a sensor on the brake pedal broke and would not shift into gear. At 80k replaced the timing belt and water pump at the same time. Ran great. At 137k now it needs some engine repairs. Waiting to hear on cost.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Easy to park. Easy to use controls. Good visibility. Roomier inside than it looks.

Suggested Improvements

Center arm rest. Cruise control. Bigger cupholders for front passenger.