2004 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
Not horrible, but not great
By lovethepudge on 04/18/13 12:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Lets just say that thankfully my dad knows his way around cars or this review could be much worse. I bought my 2004 Chevy Aveo in 2008 with 95,000 miles, it’s now at 116,000 miles. In the 4.5 years that I have owned it, we have replaced the gas cap, the catalytic converter, one of the pulleys just broke and the serpentine belt came off. (thankfully it wasn’t the timing belt) I had the timing belt replaced right after I bought it in 2008. All new tires, replaced rotors (causing the front end to shake when I hit the brakes, nothing major). New muffler in 2011. The transmission sticks when it gets too cold outside. (It’s been doing that for a few years now).

TIMING BELT BROKE
By rich200 on 01/27/13 13:45 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Many reviews of this car featured a broken timing belt. I have the same story, but it happened on the highway. Thankfully I was in the slow lane -- had I been in the fast lane I would have been killed. Standing on the side of a busy highway waiting for AAA is scary enough. Needed a new belt and top part of the engine. Total repair $2500, but four visits to the repair shop later I decided to junk the car and got $2500 from a dealer using figures from autotrader.com. No harm, no foul and now I have a brand new Honda Fit and vow never, ever to buy a Chevrolet product again.

Do Not Recommend
By rachelwww on 11/06/12 16:47 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car at 57000 miles. The timing belt broke at 79000, apparently timing belts in this car like to murder themselves and the cars engine in the process. with a price tag of $1500-2200 to fix. This problem came along with other repairs that should not have had to be done in accordance with annual maintenance on the car, such as the air intake replacement and replacing and fixing various other cheaply made parts, the repair costs for this car have nearly outweighed the cost of it in the first place. Also it took me a week to find the cupholder. NOT a user friendly vehicle.

143K and counting
By brennick on 06/28/12 17:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know what all the bad press is on this car. I bought mine new in June of 2004 and have been totally pleased with it. It handles well, is quite peppy when I'm by myself, and has incredible room both inside (amazing head room) and in the trunk. I get 27-28 mpg in town and have gone over 40 on the highway 40 when I'm solo. With the 5 speed tranny it is a blast to drive in the mountains of Oregon and Idaho. I put a hitch on mine and can comfortably pull a small boat and still get in the low 30's for gas mileage. The only thing I've done is replace the timing belt as routine maintenance and the water pump as my mechanic noticed it was starting to leak just a bit. I love this little car!

2004 chevy aveo automatic
By brenneman00 on 11/09/11 21:42 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2004 chevy aveo. around 56,000 miles, the timing belt broke once. so i got a good deal on a wrecked aveo motor and i replace the whole motor $800 including motor and labor. Around 17,000 miles more, the water pump dropped, breaking the timing belt once again. then i paid $1000 and had to have the whole motor rebuilt. and there is still a bunch of problems. i do not recommand this car at all. its been nothing but problems.

My Little Aveo
By happy2bfree on 09/15/11 06:22 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I just got my used 2004 Chevy Aveo this year. I love the car, just hope I never get into a wreck. You can lean on the outside and it dents in. That's how thin or weak the metal is on the outside. Also... it has very poor pick up power on the highway. A little old lady gave me a dirty look as she passed me up on the highway. I love the space I have inside. Lots of headroom for me. I'm 5'5" and the one thing I hate is my seatbelt still cuts me at the neck, and it's in the lowest spot. Other than some miner things like that, and low pick up power up and down hills, and the fact it doesn't seem very strong in the body, I love the car. Made in S. Korea though. :(

Good first car
By Paully on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Not many problems my extended warranty didn't cover, but almost no point in the extended, most repairs under $300. interior quality could be better, i don't like the cheap plastic siding. cheap parts brake (they are usually cheap on any car though-windshield wipers) caps on the wheels keep getting stolen, a/c went a few times, just a wiring issue. rear brakes locked after i went through a car wash (dust and dirt got in, got wet, cemented) drive car after washing to dry out the drums, clean drums to prevent. payed too much is my only real complaint bought 2 years ago it was 9,995 for the 2004. had one issue with clutch, safety button failed couldn't start car, easy fix $80.

Faulty timing belt and shifter. Lemon!
By AshleyFeucht on 07/12/10 16:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Timing belt broke at 47K miles (well before the recommended 60K replacement). As a result, I had to spend $2,170 to replace the belt and cylinder head. Also, shifter sticks when pulling out of park. These are two VERY common problems. GM refuses to compensate me and I plan to organize a class action lawsuit and/or take GM to small claims court. The only reason this car is still on the market is because not enough consumers are complaining. If you have the same problems, please speak up!

Good little Car
By Julie on 07/02/10 09:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in April used from my sister. It has 71,000 miles on it and have had no problems at all. I also drove this car from Chicago Illinois out to Seattle Washington and it did great! It is a small car but actually very roomy in the interior, I have had multiple people say that. My boyfriend who is 6'1 and 240 pounds said he was comfortable. I take very good care of my cars and am always up to date on car fluids, check ups, etc. Not caring properly for the car may be the reason why people have problems with it. Always check to make sure the car was well maintained when buying used.

Don't BUY!!
By jabbab on 06/12/10 08:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 Aveo back in '07, was a good car and great millage. That said, if the timing belt goes, or, in my case, the pulley, you're stuck. The timing belt is worthless in this vehicle, and if it goes, and you drive on that, just for a foot or two, you vales, engine, everything is destroyed! Do not buy this vehicle. It looks cute on the outside but is crap on the inside especially the engine!