Used 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Great Truck
By LTZ owner

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Great truck does everything I ask from hauling my boat and landscape materials such as rocks, yet is good looking enough to hang with the Mercedes and Lexus at high end restaurants. The only cheapness I've found is the plastic door handles which look and feel like chrome both inside and out, tend to break and fall apart in the FL. heat, as well as some failures in some of the electronic sensors over time. The plastic wings behind the windows also turn from black to light gray if you don't constantly maintain them with a protectant.

Inner door to extend the truck bed, Really helpful with kayaks. Hard covers for truck bed which you can actually stand on. Radio volume and selection as well as cruise on steering wheel.

Lights that stay on in cargo area and control of it from the tailgate. Radio stations appearance and vol display by speedometer instead of off to the side. Blue tooth phone hookup instead of onstar which don't pay for due to xtra charge. Electronic roll top bed cover, current ones hard to take off.

Great Riding All Purpose Truck
By Scott

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I am a car nut and trade often..this is by far best riding truck I have owned. My wife has 07 Escalade ESV, my AV. has better ride and more comfortable front seats. In fact My AV. has almost identical options to the fully optioned Escalade including heated/cooled seats. I really like the blue tooth integrated with my cell phone. It automatically pairs with my cell when I enter truck, I make a call using voice recognition and cell still in my pocket and it will use cell unless there is no signal, then switches to "on-star" and gives me an option to complete the call. Love On- Star and the security it gives us. This vehicle is a "jack of all trades, with a great ride for two people.

Front seats, high tech electronics, On- Star, including the back up phone. Large mirrors and back up camera, XM radio,The 6 speed transmission with the grade brake is great. Love the factory 20 inch chrome wheels, just low profile enough to look good without sacrificing ride from lack of rubber

Rear seat design, need more comfort and an option to open part of it to rear while driving. Need to split the rear partition in two to match the two rear seats so one could be up and one down to gain access to cargo compartment. Like most cars, the latest $200 gps is better than the built in.

LTZ owner
By Roy

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second avalanche going from a 2002 to a 2009. More bells and whistles but the performance is better in the 02.Some short changes on the 09 are sun visors 02 had 2 on each side,09 has one per side. No extenders on the 09,two on 02. Only one light in bed area, 02 had one on each side. 09 is air tight when doors are closed radio and nav are excellent. 02 still in family only different driver. Now has 90,000 miles on 02 and never been back to the dealer. Hope the 09 proves this good.

XM radio,on star, navigation and rear camera are excellent.

Go back to the double sun visors, extenders, storage are in rear seat in place of cup holders in pull down compartment.

One great SUT. Nothing better anywhere.
By ReelLove

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

2009 is my 3rd Avalanche (LT2-Z71). Ride is stiffer than the '05 Z71. If you do not go off road think 2x @ Z71 pkg. Much quieter than '05. Lots of leg room everywhere. This vehicle feels bigger than the 05. Improved gas mileage & performance from '05. Interior redesign is luxurious but I miss being able to put my hat on the dashboard and it staying put. Handling is very good, with little to no body roll. This is still the greatest, most versatile vehicle on the road today. I have 5 cars, & the Avalanche is always my 1st choice to drive. Quality is first class, cabin is A-#1, durability is never an issue. If you are looking for a large vehicle, put this one on the top of your list.

Back up camera, remote start, Bose stereo, large side mirrors, extremely quiet cabin, luxury appointments & air bags everywhere, mid-gate, flexibility, auto-everything, great appearance. This is one solid SUT. Fun to drive. The Avalanche does everything & do it very well. Wipers can now remain up.

Different logic for steering wheel stereo remote control buttons. Bring back: ash tray cup (coin storage), temp & direction display on rear view mirror, power lumbar support, separate switch for bed lights, cruise control buttons on turn stalk. Step on rear bumper. Better logic on navigation system.

Great SUV/Truck combo
By San Jose, CA

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

We bought our 2009 Avalanche to replace a 92 Chevy Blazer & 97 Chevy truck. The AV was a perfect fit for us with 4 full size doors, cargo capacity and towing. The AV's 5.3 liter engine has more power/torque than the 5.7 liter engine in my old 97 truck and gets better overall gas mileage. We tow 5,000(+) lbs of boat/trailer/gear and the AV has no problems handling the steep Sunol and Altamont pass grades in the S.F. Bay Area. The ride is more SUV-like than truck, and while the AV looks top heavy it actually handles the corners pretty well for its size. But if you're not used to driving SUV/trucks the AV's large turning radius can be scary/frustrating in tight parking situations.

Back-up camera/display, even in the dark you can line up your trailer and hitch perfectly with no help - a great marriage saver! Also like the engine diags display that shows fuel range, tire pressure, transmission temp, remaining oil life, etc.

Side vision is ok, but the AV has a large blind zone, adjusting the mirrors out far generally takes care of that. The AV backend is so high that small cars can disappear in the rear view mirror if they get to close.