Used 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Midgate Leaks
By lancher4life

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Looked for 3 yrs prior to buying, really wanted an Avalanche. Looked as if the leaks had been fixed. Bought a brand new one but the midgate leaks when I wash it - leaks both into the cab and the bed (on both sides of the midgate). Going back a 3rd time to the dealer. Seems like mine is a lemon, some leaks on prior years but thought the leak issue was addressed. Take a hose & check yours before you buy....HOPEFULLY they can fix it, as really do otherwise love it.

Favorite Features

Towing, versitile

Suggested Improvements

MIDGATE LEAKS with washing - into the passenger cab & bed. Gas mileage could be better - but acceptable if they can only fix my leak!!!

LTZ owner
By Roy

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second avalanche going from a 2002 to a 2009. More bells and whistles but the performance is better in the 02.Some short changes on the 09 are sun visors 02 had 2 on each side,09 has one per side. No extenders on the 09,two on 02. Only one light in bed area, 02 had one on each side. 09 is air tight when doors are closed radio and nav are excellent. 02 still in family only different driver. Now has 90,000 miles on 02 and never been back to the dealer. Hope the 09 proves this good.

Favorite Features

XM radio,on star, navigation and rear camera are excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the double sun visors, extenders, storage are in rear seat in place of cup holders in pull down compartment.

My Avalanche
By Robert Deevey

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I owned an 04 avalanche, and found it to be the most useful vehicle I had ever owned. Took advantage of the GM situation and purchased an 09. Moving from a larger metro area to the country setting I have found that the avalanche has proven to be useful not only as a full size truck hauling materials, and its comfort can not be matched. With almost 100K mile on the 04, I never experienced any problems with the vehicle. I expect the same for the 09. The vehicle has a first-class appearance, which adds to the fun of driving it. My friends like when we use the Avalanche for long trips, because of its comfort.

Favorite Features

I was happy to get the XM radio, as it adds greatly to driving. Also the movable pedals have made the seat adjustments easier. This truck is solid. This vehicle not only sports a number of safety features, you feel more safe in it. The truck is just fun to drive. Not fast, but fun

Suggested Improvements

The navigation system stinks. I hate to admit that because it cost so much. My Garmin provides better information than this system. I find that the navigation system in the Avalanche lacking. This system can not even locate my residence, I have to use the On Star system for that.

Great SUV/Truck combo
By San Jose, CA

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

We bought our 2009 Avalanche to replace a 92 Chevy Blazer & 97 Chevy truck. The AV was a perfect fit for us with 4 full size doors, cargo capacity and towing. The AV's 5.3 liter engine has more power/torque than the 5.7 liter engine in my old 97 truck and gets better overall gas mileage. We tow 5,000(+) lbs of boat/trailer/gear and the AV has no problems handling the steep Sunol and Altamont pass grades in the S.F. Bay Area. The ride is more SUV-like than truck, and while the AV looks top heavy it actually handles the corners pretty well for its size. But if you're not used to driving SUV/trucks the AV's large turning radius can be scary/frustrating in tight parking situations.

Favorite Features

Back-up camera/display, even in the dark you can line up your trailer and hitch perfectly with no help - a great marriage saver! Also like the engine diags display that shows fuel range, tire pressure, transmission temp, remaining oil life, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Side vision is ok, but the AV has a large blind zone, adjusting the mirrors out far generally takes care of that. The AV backend is so high that small cars can disappear in the rear view mirror if they get to close.

2009 Chevy Avalanche LT2 4WD
By Bulldog

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

We had been looking at a new truck/SUV to replace our 92 Blazer & 97 Chevy truck. The Avalanche was the best match for us, with 4 full size doors, hauling capacity and able to tow 5000 lbs of boat and gear. We got it on sale Labor day and have been having fun with it ever since. The ride is very good even with 4 big guys in it. Plenty of power for towing even up the steep Sunol and Altamont grades in the Bay Area. The 2009's exterior is much better looking now that Chevy got rid of all the plastic side panels and when back to matching deep painted metal on all sides.

Favorite Features

Engine diagnostics display on the dash that show, tire pressure, remaining oil life, transmission temperature, fuel range, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Side visibility is ok, but could be improved. The back end of the Avalanche is so high a Prius or other small cars will disappear in the rear view mirror when they get close to you. We only have 5000 miles on ours and there is a slight rattle in the mid-gate, that I can't figure out.