Used 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Most Helpful|
08 Summit White LTZ NAV DVD Sunroof Load
By First Time Chevy

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am a lady that bought this as a surprise for my husband. I love it so much that I'm probably going to buy one for me next year. I love the rear assist camera, heated seats, and power retractable steps. I was a previous Camry owner and I've never owned an American car before. If this truck lasts for 10 years like my Toyotas, I'll never buy another foreign car again. I am super impressed with the Chevy Avalanche.

Favorite Features

Navigation, DVD, Rear Assist Camera, Large Power Mirrors, Heated Seats, Power Retractable Steps, Driver Memory Seats

Suggested Improvements

2 years later & LTZ is still the best!
By Michael

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this big black beauty 25 months ago, and it is still the best vehicle I have ever had. The only issue was I needed to have the chrome handle replaced last month after it came loose. But other than that this truck is still as great as the day I bought it. It rides like a Cadillac, 90% of the time I can haul without removing the sails, the bed has ample room for transporting furniture without having to lower the back seats.

Favorite Features

The tailgate and the sails to cover it. Local stereo shop was able to install a trip so the front seat passenger can watch movies on the dash while traveling. I was an SUV guy prior to this, I will never buy another car again, this truck is it for me.

Suggested Improvements

A little more leg room in the rear, and RSE screens in the headrests so not to block the rear view mirror. A cigar humidor in the center console would have been nice.

Burning Oil
By bigwavedave1

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I gave a good review on this vehicle after 5,000 miles we only had a few minor issues. No we have 44,000 miles on this vehicle and here are the issues we have had. First and most important at 40,000 we were driving 50 miles away from home when I started to hear a knock. The vehicle was out of oil GM neglected to tell owners that they have had a proble since 07 with some 5.3L burning oil. The worst is it burns it so clean you can not see it. (Bulletin No. 10-06-01-008B) The dealer charges me for an oil change and tells me to drive it and watch the oil level. Now we have to drive it and pray it does not blow up. Also all the door handles and locks have broke. Trading for a F150 Ecoboost

Favorite Features

Storage, GPS, Sunroof. The bed is watertight. Back-up Camera is a must. I pull a 6,500lb 28' boat with this and it does a good job when it is not burning oil.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the motor do not make us drive it around waiting for it to blow up with a 2yr. old. Gas mileage is awful avg. 13mpg. highway 17mpg. GM needs to make this vehicle lighter weight and it needs more rear leg room. Body hardware we are not rough on anything and the handles just fell apart.

My Favorite Truck!!!
By Steve Waddell

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in a 2003 Dodge Ram QuadCab- Laramie edition, that I purchased new for a Chevy Avalanche LTZ, with Rocky Ridge customization package. I had visited several dealers in Hampton Roads, VA, and none had anything that met my needs. I found exactly what I wanted on eBay. My son and I drove over 400 miles Friday April 16, 2009 and traded in our old Dodge and bought the new Chevy Avalanche LTZ. The truck in white diamond (pearl white) with customization package makes it look just like the Escalade.

Favorite Features

Love the Rocky Ridge customization package w/ 22" Incubus wheels! XM Satellite radio (Hair Nation, Boneyard, etc!), White Diamond paint with lt Cashmere int, safety features (side airbags, etc.), 87 octane, smooth ride (like a nice yacht), covered rear bed, side storage, turning radius is excellent

Suggested Improvements

Not much really, but if I could - I would add cooled seats and bluetooth (both of which were added for 2009). A coin holder and improved storage design in center storage compartment would also be nice. And finally, while there is an MP3 player connection, it also needs an iPhone charging station.

Great truck
By Huey Long

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the ideal truck for business that includes taking clients to the field. It travels superbly, and gets better than 18 mpg if driven 65-70 mph. MPG drops quickly if over 70. The only complaint is its ground clearance, which has resulted in some scrapes to the wheel well corners; not noticeable, but it would be nice if it rode about 2" higher. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who can afford it, although its value to me has far exceeded the pick-ups I have had in the past. I will drive an Avalanche LTZ as long as GM can afford to make 'em.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Higher ground clearance by 2"