Used 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

08 LTZ
By horstman83

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

So I bought a used 2008 Avalanche LTZ January 12th 2012 thought it was my dream truck. Suddenly its now a nightmare. Just over 80,000 miles and here is a list of problems. (1)Service Suspension light came on, (2)service parking assist light came on, (3)rear spoiler fell off, (4)back up camera quit working, (5) door handle broke, (6)brakes locked up in the middle of the busiest interstate in MI, noted my wife and kids were coming back from Iowa without me which left them stranded 45 mins from my house. Oh and it has brand new brakes and rotors on it. (7) Dash Rattles All in all I wish I didn't owe so much on it. I'd deffinately go back to a Dodge.

GPS, Sunroof, Cyclinder deactivation, Secured storage, Entertainment system.

Quality Assurance! And use better parts. Plastic door handles? Spoiler held on by 7 plastic clips? I am throughly disappointed in this truck. I've wanted one for years now and now that I have one I can't wait to unload it. This is the last Chevy I will ever buy. Knock on wood my wifes Impala holds up.

Avalanche LTZ
By yakfloater

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this truck new in December of '08. Traded in my '04 Avalanche after putting on 130,000 miles. I am very pleased with the ride comfort and new styling, interior and exterior, compared to the '04. I have used this truck for freeway commuting for work and for towing a snowmobile trailer and camping trailer. The gas mileage in commute traffic on the freeway averages 16.5, towing the 5,000lb trailer = 9.5. Now at 54,000 miles the truck uses oil, 1qt per 1000miles and there are more rattles in the dash/interior than any vehicle I,ve ever owned. I,ve been back to the dealer 3 times to have the oil consumption issue resolved but GM doesn't have any fixes that seem to work.

Leather interior, heated seats, navigation, secured storage in back of truck, ride leveling suspension, exterior styling.

GM needs to come up with a solution to get their small block engines with the AFM feature to stop consuming oil! Their continued attempts to simply reduce the oil consumtion to 1qt every 2000miles , (a rate deemed normal by GM) , is not acceptable. More attention to quality control while assembling the truck could help reduce the amount of rattles - I hope!

Burning Oil
By bigwavedave1

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I gave a good review on this vehicle after 5,000 miles we only had a few minor issues. No we have 44,000 miles on this vehicle and here are the issues we have had. First and most important at 40,000 we were driving 50 miles away from home when I started to hear a knock. The vehicle was out of oil GM neglected to tell owners that they have had a proble since 07 with some 5.3L burning oil. The worst is it burns it so clean you can not see it. (Bulletin No. 10-06-01-008B) The dealer charges me for an oil change and tells me to drive it and watch the oil level. Now we have to drive it and pray it does not blow up. Also all the door handles and locks have broke. Trading for a F150 Ecoboost

Storage, GPS, Sunroof. The bed is watertight. Back-up Camera is a must. I pull a 6,500lb 28' boat with this and it does a good job when it is not burning oil.

Fix the motor do not make us drive it around waiting for it to blow up with a 2yr. old. Gas mileage is awful avg. 13mpg. highway 17mpg. GM needs to make this vehicle lighter weight and it needs more rear leg room. Body hardware we are not rough on anything and the handles just fell apart.

Great Pick-Up
By kevin_in_sales

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Just knocker over 30K on mine. Based on the Suburban platform, this is a great truck for those that need the occasional hauling space and have the need for 5 passengers. The ability to lock up or hide what in the back is great for us city dwellers. This is a great highway vehicle.

Back seat is very comfortable. Ride is better than all other pick-ups. The ability to start and cool or heat the vehicle remotely is one of my favorite features. I have the back-up camera, which is almost essential for this car.

Gas mileage could be better, but who's kidding...this is a heavy vehicle. I'd also like to see a tailgate that opens flat to the bed of the truck. I slide a 2x4 under my long loads right now, but this should really be addressed.

Avalanche of Problems
By kirby28

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my "dream truck" in '09 with 5K on it. Pretty much downhill from there. I would'nt buy another GM product. By 27K I had a vehicle that felt like it was falling apart. The chronic drive shaft issues that have never been addressed by GM continue. Problems won't surface for a few thousand miles then, good luck. Dash problems, handles breaking, pieces literally fall from no where, rattles abound. This one heavy beast that drives heavy and gets poor gas mileage.

drives like a cadillac, quiet, beautiful to look at.

Fix the trans issues, lighten the load, produce a tonneau cover that won't warp or fade.