Used 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

very disappointed
By michael r. lewis jr./ Nicole M. Lazaro

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The truck at first glance and test drive is amazing from the drive to storage to comfortability i bought my 2008 avalanche 3 years ago and up til now i absolutely loved this truck. I have owned 5 chevy/GM vehicles throughout and adter this i will never own another one pending on how GM itself takes care of the issues at hand. Burns oil over consumption bad without telling costumers to be aware of. Now at 90,000 miles my truck is running and sounding like crap, lifter problems traction control stablitrack, engine misfires in cylindersand after i have extensively researched this is a common problem most of the morors were poorly made crappy parts in mexico, ultimately you need a new motor otherwise replacing lifters, pistons, cam shafts, rings, spark plugs, list goes on and on before you can fix the problem we as preferred costumers should not have too fork out thousands of dollars on engine problems on a $35,000 vehicle after only a year or two of owning it especially if like my self ur one who stays up on maintaince religiously i have replaced TPS, oil pressure sensor, new brakes and rotors, tune up new plugs and wires new throttle pedal position sensor all to try and fix this lifter noise and traction control and stabilitrack and engine lights, and noise and vehicle running and sounding like crap all to find out this is a common issue and fault on GM with this particular motor issues i think its time to switch to ford based on how GM addresses this issue with me especially since my truck is just out of warranty now go figure

08 LTZ
By horstman83

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

So I bought a used 2008 Avalanche LTZ January 12th 2012 thought it was my dream truck. Suddenly its now a nightmare. Just over 80,000 miles and here is a list of problems. (1)Service Suspension light came on, (2)service parking assist light came on, (3)rear spoiler fell off, (4)back up camera quit working, (5) door handle broke, (6)brakes locked up in the middle of the busiest interstate in MI, noted my wife and kids were coming back from Iowa without me which left them stranded 45 mins from my house. Oh and it has brand new brakes and rotors on it. (7) Dash Rattles All in all I wish I didn't owe so much on it. I'd deffinately go back to a Dodge.

GPS, Sunroof, Cyclinder deactivation, Secured storage, Entertainment system.

Quality Assurance! And use better parts. Plastic door handles? Spoiler held on by 7 plastic clips? I am throughly disappointed in this truck. I've wanted one for years now and now that I have one I can't wait to unload it. This is the last Chevy I will ever buy. Knock on wood my wifes Impala holds up.

Avalanche LTZ
By yakfloater

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this truck new in December of '08. Traded in my '04 Avalanche after putting on 130,000 miles. I am very pleased with the ride comfort and new styling, interior and exterior, compared to the '04. I have used this truck for freeway commuting for work and for towing a snowmobile trailer and camping trailer. The gas mileage in commute traffic on the freeway averages 16.5, towing the 5,000lb trailer = 9.5. Now at 54,000 miles the truck uses oil, 1qt per 1000miles and there are more rattles in the dash/interior than any vehicle I,ve ever owned. I,ve been back to the dealer 3 times to have the oil consumption issue resolved but GM doesn't have any fixes that seem to work.

Leather interior, heated seats, navigation, secured storage in back of truck, ride leveling suspension, exterior styling.

GM needs to come up with a solution to get their small block engines with the AFM feature to stop consuming oil! Their continued attempts to simply reduce the oil consumtion to 1qt every 2000miles , (a rate deemed normal by GM) , is not acceptable. More attention to quality control while assembling the truck could help reduce the amount of rattles - I hope!

Burning Oil
By bigwavedave1

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I gave a good review on this vehicle after 5,000 miles we only had a few minor issues. No we have 44,000 miles on this vehicle and here are the issues we have had. First and most important at 40,000 we were driving 50 miles away from home when I started to hear a knock. The vehicle was out of oil GM neglected to tell owners that they have had a proble since 07 with some 5.3L burning oil. The worst is it burns it so clean you can not see it. (Bulletin No. 10-06-01-008B) The dealer charges me for an oil change and tells me to drive it and watch the oil level. Now we have to drive it and pray it does not blow up. Also all the door handles and locks have broke. Trading for a F150 Ecoboost

Storage, GPS, Sunroof. The bed is watertight. Back-up Camera is a must. I pull a 6,500lb 28' boat with this and it does a good job when it is not burning oil.

Fix the motor do not make us drive it around waiting for it to blow up with a 2yr. old. Gas mileage is awful avg. 13mpg. highway 17mpg. GM needs to make this vehicle lighter weight and it needs more rear leg room. Body hardware we are not rough on anything and the handles just fell apart.

Great Pick-Up
By kevin_in_sales

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Just knocker over 30K on mine. Based on the Suburban platform, this is a great truck for those that need the occasional hauling space and have the need for 5 passengers. The ability to lock up or hide what in the back is great for us city dwellers. This is a great highway vehicle.

Back seat is very comfortable. Ride is better than all other pick-ups. The ability to start and cool or heat the vehicle remotely is one of my favorite features. I have the back-up camera, which is almost essential for this car.

Gas mileage could be better, but who's kidding...this is a heavy vehicle. I'd also like to see a tailgate that opens flat to the bed of the truck. I slide a 2x4 under my long loads right now, but this should really be addressed.

• SUV