2008 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
08 LTZ
By horstman83 on 05/01/12 10:29 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

So I bought a used 2008 Avalanche LTZ January 12th 2012 thought it was my dream truck. Suddenly its now a nightmare. Just over 80,000 miles and here is a list of problems. (1)Service Suspension light came on, (2)service parking assist light came on, (3)rear spoiler fell off, (4)back up camera quit working, (5) door handle broke, (6)brakes locked up in the middle of the busiest interstate in MI, noted my wife and kids were coming back from Iowa without me which left them stranded 45 mins from my house. Oh and it has brand new brakes and rotors on it. (7) Dash Rattles All in all I wish I didn't owe so much on it. I'd deffinately go back to a Dodge.

Avalanche LTZ
By yakfloater on 12/28/11 11:12 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this truck new in December of '08. Traded in my '04 Avalanche after putting on 130,000 miles. I am very pleased with the ride comfort and new styling, interior and exterior, compared to the '04. I have used this truck for freeway commuting for work and for towing a snowmobile trailer and camping trailer. The gas mileage in commute traffic on the freeway averages 16.5, towing the 5,000lb trailer = 9.5. Now at 54,000 miles the truck uses oil, 1qt per 1000miles and there are more rattles in the dash/interior than any vehicle I,ve ever owned. I,ve been back to the dealer 3 times to have the oil consumption issue resolved but GM doesn't have any fixes that seem to work.

Burning Oil
By bigwavedave1 on 09/06/11 08:45 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I gave a good review on this vehicle after 5,000 miles we only had a few minor issues. No we have 44,000 miles on this vehicle and here are the issues we have had. First and most important at 40,000 we were driving 50 miles away from home when I started to hear a knock. The vehicle was out of oil GM neglected to tell owners that they have had a proble since 07 with some 5.3L burning oil. The worst is it burns it so clean you can not see it. (Bulletin No. 10-06-01-008B) The dealer charges me for an oil change and tells me to drive it and watch the oil level. Now we have to drive it and pray it does not blow up. Also all the door handles and locks have broke. Trading for a F150 Ecoboost

Great Pick-Up
By kevin_in_sales on 07/25/11 06:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Just knocker over 30K on mine. Based on the Suburban platform, this is a great truck for those that need the occasional hauling space and have the need for 5 passengers. The ability to lock up or hide what in the back is great for us city dwellers. This is a great highway vehicle.

Avalanche of Problems
By kirby28 on 02/03/11 19:34 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my "dream truck" in '09 with 5K on it. Pretty much downhill from there. I would'nt buy another GM product. By 27K I had a vehicle that felt like it was falling apart. The chronic drive shaft issues that have never been addressed by GM continue. Problems won't surface for a few thousand miles then, good luck. Dash problems, handles breaking, pieces literally fall from no where, rattles abound. This one heavy beast that drives heavy and gets poor gas mileage.

Great Ride
By Bob on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased a new 2008 Avalanche 12/08.07/09 had it in for rear main seal. 09 had it in for battery 3 times before i took it to another dealership and found out the batteries were all defective. 09/10 motor went out on the drivers side seat. other than that the vehicle is great to drive. I am 6'3" 325 lbs and have ample room. I love the truck but can do without the probs. The dealership service department really awful. Fuel consumption could be better.

2 years later & LTZ is still the best!
By Michael on 07/27/10 04:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this big black beauty 25 months ago, and it is still the best vehicle I have ever had. The only issue was I needed to have the chrome handle replaced last month after it came loose. But other than that this truck is still as great as the day I bought it. It rides like a Cadillac, 90% of the time I can haul without removing the sails, the bed has ample room for transporting furniture without having to lower the back seats.

Love the Avy!
By Charles on 05/23/10 12:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in a 2004 Range Rover for this vehicle. My wife immediately took the keys and has yet to give them back. We have taken this truck on numerous family vacations and by far the most comfortable vehicle we have ever driven in. The LTZ Pkg with White Diamond looks amazing. Had a couple of issues with the doors not closing and the chrome door handle breaking. Both covered under warranty.

No more Chevys for me
By Lonnie Griffin on 05/07/10 13:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My driving and ownership experience has been terrible. It has been in the shop at least ten times for different issues. Some of the same issues with a 2000 Chevy pickup I bought new ten years ago it had a knocking engine and Chevy still has the same issues for example, down shift hard bump in transmission, noise in steering column, defective door locks, interior noise around the dash area, bad cam in motor replaced, wind noise, popping noise when turning to left or right sometimes, battery went bad, broken door weld replaced and so on I have to stop. Issues like this should not happen to a $30,000 vehicle for years.

Cruise Control
By Fred on 04/29/10 18:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LS 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Cruise does not hold going downhill, can gain 10 to 20 miles per hour. Chevy says within spec. Told to use brakes. First auto ever had that does not hold going downhill. Could have more leg room for the rear seat. Seat belt are hard to close when using with children's car seat.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche in NJ is:

$208 per month*