Used 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 LS Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Second Chevy truck
By bjk3

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LS 1500 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had a 01 Chev swb ls with the 327 engine.. Probably in my opinion the best V8 engine in production, because it will go 300,000 plus if well takin care of, and parts for it can be found anywhere, and they don't break the bank like the imports.
This 06 is even better, I bought from Car Maxt after the other one was totaled in a hail storm. So I have been driving the 327 for 13 years total. At the time of purchase had 93,000 miles. Never been in the shop after 3 years of ownership. Had two emission issues, that chev avalanche club helped me fix, Great multi purpose vehicle. gas mileage could be better, averages only 13 in town, but highway miles good as high as 19.

The 3 panels remove easy, and then it's like a truck. The back seats go up so you can haul a lot of stuff, in the rain and it stays dry. The panels help the gas mileage by keeping wind out of the back. Has maybe one of the best rides on the highway out there. Everyone calls it the cruiser after a ride on the highway.

Gas mileage, might be hard to do, as it's comparable to other V-8 trucks in mileage. They no longer make it due to EPA legislation, but I expect them to come back out with it eventually like they did with the Camaro.

I just want to drive it!
By txyank1

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LS 1500 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After several GM pickups I hadn't driven more than a block and I was hooked on the Avalanche. I had joined an Avalanche fan club and been reading about them for 5 months. This is my 3rd Av (had for almost 3 yrs now) and I've loved every one. Each was a little better-equipped, this one being a Z66 with Sun/Sound. Liked the 3.73 gears in the '03 for get-up but love the 3.42's for highway mpg. 21+ consistently on trips. If GM only made a pickup that rode like this.

Ride and comfort

With it's limited rear visibility, a camera system should be standard.

I'd buy another
By mikml2

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LS 1500 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Avalanche. The first one had some serious problems. I traded it and got a new one. This one had problems when I first got it, but once the kink got out of it, it's been great.

Body style, smooth drive

The inside of the vehicle could look a little more expensive, because let's face it, it's not an inexpensive vehicle.

Avalanche Exceeded Expectations
By Stephen

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LS 1500 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Given the price of gasoline, I was a bit skeptical in buying this vehicle. However, after completing a 2,000 mile trip to the Pacific Northwest and back I was amazed at the MPG I attained. I averaged close to 22MPG on our trip! Granted, I wasn't towing a trailer, however, for the size of the vehicle and the fact that we had loaded the rear bed with luggage and other travel gear, I was still pleased. The fact that the dealership had discounted the truck $12K from the $38,500 MSRP was the icing on the cake. It was equipped with the on road suspension package, sunroof, XM radio, Bose system, luggage rack, rear entertainment system, leather seats and electronic air. We love it!

Gas mileage & functionality of the truck. It really is the best of both worlds. Ability to go full size truck or carry passengers (5) with capable bed space for haulage. Appreciate the bed cover being included & the ride is very comfortable with minimal noise & plenty of power. Bose is great!

Would like to have had the better mileage & interior improvements with the '07 Avalanche DOD system, however, they weren't discounting the newer vehicles at this time. Rear visibility issues take a bit to get used to.

2nd Time Around
By Michael

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LS 1500 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My 2006 2WD Z66 is a replacement for my 2002 Z66. Chevy must be doing something right as this was the first time I've ever repeated on a vehicle. The mileage continues to be a problem as would any vehicle this size and weight. Most comfortable and smoothest riding vehicle I've ever owned and this one is number 18. For my money, there's not a better highway car.

Ride is better than most sedans. I find it very roomy and I'm 6'4". Very stable handling in the wind as well as highway quiet.

Saw the 2007's today and it looks to me as any improvements I could want on mine is on the 2007.