Used 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Second Chevy truck
By bjk3

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LS 1500 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had a 01 Chev swb ls with the 327 engine.. Probably in my opinion the best V8 engine in production, because it will go 300,000 plus if well takin care of, and parts for it can be found anywhere, and they don't break the bank like the imports. This 06 is even better, I bought from Car Maxt after the other one was totaled in a hail storm. So I have been driving the 327 for 13 years total. At the time of purchase had 93,000 miles. Never been in the shop after 3 years of ownership. Had two emission issues, that chev avalanche club helped me fix, Great multi purpose vehicle. gas mileage could be better, averages only 13 in town, but highway miles good as high as 19.

Favorite Features

The 3 panels remove easy, and then it's like a truck. The back seats go up so you can haul a lot of stuff, in the rain and it stays dry. The panels help the gas mileage by keeping wind out of the back. Has maybe one of the best rides on the highway out there. Everyone calls it the cruiser after a ride on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, might be hard to do, as it's comparable to other V-8 trucks in mileage. They no longer make it due to EPA legislation, but I expect them to come back out with it eventually like they did with the Camaro.

Watch the motor
By nancy go

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LS 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed this truck very much if I could keep it from breaking down.. Thank goodness I had an extended warranty but it is now out and the motor is being messed up again..It rides and handles good and the motor and other things that has been fixed but some how not all. Motor was rebuilt and found out defective cam. Then the steering/widows/seals/yolk/uv/and all within a year. If I were to buy another Chevy product it would have to be 2 extended warranties to please me.

Favorite Features

Comfort/handling/dvd/and the room

Suggested Improvements

extended warranties and miles especially with people that live in the country that have 30 miles to get to a dr. Rear camera and there is a glare from the back window that matches up with the dash and will blind side you when backing up.

Good vehicle
By Denver

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LS 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I run my truck pretty hard high speed and for long periods and over the years I have averaged over 17 mpg highway and city combined, I have even pulled small trailers and the gas mileage was still good, I'm going to purchase another Avalanche soon this will make my third one and am very satisfied with the overall performance.

I just want to drive it!
By txyank1

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LS 1500 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After several GM pickups I hadn't driven more than a block and I was hooked on the Avalanche. I had joined an Avalanche fan club and been reading about them for 5 months. This is my 3rd Av (had for almost 3 yrs now) and I've loved every one. Each was a little better-equipped, this one being a Z66 with Sun/Sound. Liked the 3.73 gears in the '03 for get-up but love the 3.42's for highway mpg. 21+ consistently on trips. If GM only made a pickup that rode like this.

Favorite Features

Ride and comfort

Suggested Improvements

With it's limited rear visibility, a camera system should be standard.

Best truck ever
By allen copeland

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab LS 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

From daily driving to camping, atving, snowmobiling, RV pulling, grocery runs, hardware, and landscaping hauling. The kids love the rear seat DVD player, and the wife likes the heated seats in the winter. My favorite is the OnStar that now allows me to contact my wife as soon as I get back to the truck after a day snowmobiling instead of an hour later when I get within cell range.

Favorite Features

Covered hauling area that stores riding gear to gas and tools all under lock and key.

Suggested Improvements

It needs a double sun visor, one that stays forward while one swings to the side.