Used 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Second one is the charm
By Chuck Bachorski

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Avalanche. The 2002 model had many flaws. On my new vehicle, I ditched the cladding. This gives the truck a cleaner appearance and will prevent the cladding from coming loose. The ride on this vehicle is smoother, the braking is better and the fit/finish is tighter than the 2002 model. Fuel economy is approximately 16 mpg overall. I get 19+ MPG on the highway, which is pretty good for a vehicle of this size.

Heated seat surface and back. Bose stereo system, power pedals, and driver information center.

Put a step into the non-cladded bumper a la the cladded version. Do something to eliminate the driveline clunking when shifting into reverse, and get the memory seats to remember their settings. They seem to forget an awful lot.

A sweet ride
By btmec

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my Avalanche for a month. So far I have not been dissapointed. I can't find one thing to dislike. It tows my boat with no problem. The ride is beautiful for a 4WD vehicle. I took it off road the other day up some step and rough hills and it handled them with no problems at all. I was riding in comfort with my XM radio playing and the air conditioner on. It was a blast. This is honestly the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Z71 4WD! If you can get it, you should get it! I also love XM and OnStar. I used OnStar on a recent trip and it was invaluable. My kids now say "OnStar it" if we need help on the road.

Make more of the luxury features available on the 6 seat model. I haul around 5 people all the time (6 including me) and needed the 6 seats but would have loved to had the onboard navigation system and the luxury Bose system.

Awesomelanche
By AvsFan33

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After a few weeks and 1200 miles, along with a long camping trip, I am happy as can be with my new Avalanche. It is a pleasure to drive and very functional. I was able to load everything I needed in the back as well as a dog and kid in back seat with 1/2 the seat down for additional food and pillows, etc. I love the way it looks and the way it performs. I drove several trucks before buying this one and I know now I made the right choice. Even the highway gas mileage was better than I hoped. Yes the mileage suffers in heavy city traffic but then thats usually during shorter distances anyway. I rate this vehicle a 10.

Lets see, my 10-way power seats (if you have to drive a lot, get this!), the 3 section back covers which makes it easy to pack stuff, and the back side containers which I used one as a cooler (has a little drain in it too). XM radio is nice and I already needed to use OnStar as well.

I don't like the location of the parking brake. Also, you can fold half the back seat down, I would like an easier way to take half the back seat out completly like those SUV 3rd seats. And add reverse sensors (easy to add afterwards though like I'm doing)

This Avalache has it all!
By Pete

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this unit about three months ago and since then it has been used for almost everything. Its a very versatile unit, in that in most cases it is really a full size 4-door pick up. It's very comfortable as it rides better than most full size automobles, but you then have the ability to haul almost anything with it up to items which are eight feet in length, all at the flip of a couple of switches.

The convenience of the fold down seat and window arrangement.

None

Great all-around!
By JGalla8384

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I went from a BMW 325i to a Chevrolet Avalanche, but I have truly enjoyed this vehicle. Fuel prices are up, but it's worth the extra fuel costs. Lots of features, drives beautifully, a pleasure to drive short or long distances. It's like having a luxury SUV,with all the room and comfort and features, but also a truck for power and performance and hauling stuff around. I recommend this vehicle whole- heartedly.

Design, driving comfort due to improved suspension, lots of interior features I enjoy all within my command.

Improve fuel mileage.