2005 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
Ok, but many problems
By Shawn Martin on 04/28/05 14:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The truck is neat in its design, but this makes it very, very large. Performance is poor (sloppy brakes, sloppy steering, handling and acceleration). I had mine back to the dealer six times within the first 9 months at which point I sold it to buy a different brand. Great concept, but GM needs to do a lot of work on overall build quality, interior design quality and performance (needs a little sport).

Fun
By Vince on 04/09/05 22:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

A little pricy even on base models. Tow package should be installed on all models standard. A little taller than regular trucks is a plus.

Avalanche
By John Quellos on 04/06/05 23:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Avalanche because I liked its looks. The power is definitly there when you need it and the comfort level is up with the best. I love the control I have when driving on the old dirt roads where I live. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who asks.

Love it !
By Teresa on 04/06/05 09:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the Avalanche used with 12,000 miles in excellent condition and have not been dissapointed a bit. It does not get great gas mileage but I have driven a sport utility in the past, and it is about the same. The comfort of the ride and the usefullness of the Avalanche has made me very satisfied.

A great concept
By Me_Likee2 on 04/03/05 00:50 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have truly enjoyed this truck. I have owned Chevy 1500's and 2500's for years. I like the road feel of a Chevy. I think the interior is well conceived. I wasn't a fan of the plastic exterior in the beginning, but the look grew on me. Then GM offered the "Without Body Hardware" option. This removes the lower plastic panels. That did the trick for me.

Great Farm Truck
By GREG LAROCHE on 04/02/05 13:17 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The Z71 has it all. Rubber floor mats. 4 wheel drive. Aluminum 17 in. wheels. 4-door. 5 seats. Large enough for a 4 wheeler or my 425 John Deere mower, yet it doesn’t look like a long school bus. The sun and sound package is great too. Power moon roof and Bose. Almost 300hp is great for the tow package. The OnStar and XM radio are nice to have too. The best part is the car-like ride that I don't normally get with our farm trucks.

Truck or SUV? ( trukuv )
By james on 03/31/05 15:46 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Fun to drive with exceptional comfort and smoothness. Decent fuel consumption for its size. A lot more versatile than a standard truck. Bed is way more spacious than given credit for.

My First Truck
By Dan Marshall on 03/27/05 15:13 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Excellent and fun truck to drive. Fell in love with it when I first saw it.

Hands down, the best!
By Jon Mac on 03/24/05 16:37 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I considered a Suburban and Tahoe/Yukon, but I needed a truck with a bed. I got a luxury 4WD SUV that drives better than a luxury sedan. The lined bed is great, the hard cover makes it better, and the fact that it locks tight is awesome. Extremely comforatable on and off road, but especially cozy on the highway! Leather buckets cradle you like an expensive recliner. Locking side compartments are huge and very useful. I've driven the Caddy, and this is the same truck with a little more plastic but a lot less pricey. This is not an SUV, this is a truck, but you'd never know it by all the amenities. I'll buy another when the time comes to trade this in!

One year review
By cooker on 03/24/05 07:42 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

So far the truck has proven a very versatile and capable vehicle. I use my truck for home improvement projects, hunting, fishing and camping trips. With some off roading during trips to Michigan's UP. It is also a daily commuter with fuel economy in the 16- 18mpg range (66 miles daily roundtrip) much better than the competition. No durability/reliability issues to date.