2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 LS Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2005 Avalanche Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Sort Reviews by

05 Avalanche LT
By judahbenhuer

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought an 89 Daytona Shelby when I was still on active duty; my intention to keep her forever. 8 years later and 2 children who outgrew the tiny seats had me searching the dealerships. I bought an 08 Dodge Quad Cab Big Horn over the summer, and one trip later realized my critical mistake. Using the mini-rear seats of the Daytona as a reference for something larger was a poor choice. One month later I was already scanning the dealership lots. I saw an 05 Avalanche (never, NEVER a fan of Chevy!)with 49,000 original miles- 1 owner, and the truck was nearly mint. The salesman prompted me to keep it overnight...he knew the outcome. She sure sits pretty in the driveway :)

Favorite Features

Comfort, seat support, versatility, handling, more power over my trade-in (4.7 Magnum). Side storage in the bed (and I thought Dodge had the take on side-bed storage).

Suggested Improvements

Sluggish steering, adjustable steering is awkward, telescoping steering wheel for tall drivers What in the heck do all the buttons on the console do? I just want to turn on the radio!!!!!

Been a great vehicle for over 6 years now
By dakar1

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I really love my Avalanche. I bought it new and has been a great vehicle. I've had zero engine issues. things I've done are had to replace speedometer that sprung one day when it was about 10 below 0 outside. Had to have a airbag sensor replaced and replaced one of the oxygen sensors - which I found out is recommended after about 5 years anyway. Also a transmission solenoid was replaced, that was only $120 w/labor. I run the E85 a lot in the summer and I tow a heavy camper with it. Its not the best towing vehicle for something heavy but it gets by. I run Amsoil and engine still runs like new with 65k.

Favorite Features

overall size and comfort. I don't use the midgate much. With good tires the 4 wheel drive is excellent in the snow, much better than my wifes SUV.

Suggested Improvements

the rear seats fold up to allow the midgate down. I would have liked a rubber pad to put in back seat when their up so stuff won't slide around, and they s/h made it so can take the headrests out of rear seat too. Mine doesnt have the reverse sensors, but I see the new ones do. Because its big and squarish, takes some getting used to front and rear distances while parking.

Piece of junk
By avalanche05

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Never will i buy a Avalanche again. bought because of features.it's a piece of junk there is a rattle in the front end my abs brake went the part is 600.00 to replace not including labor. now shocks in the front need replacing have had to replace o2 scensors brake calipers and so on... oh did i mention it only has 56,000 miles on it.and i paid way too much for a piece of junk

Favorite Features

Nothing

Suggested Improvements

everything

What a Joy to own and drive
By new chevy driver

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this used and have never ever looked back and said "Why" This is the perfect SUV/TRUCK for me. I sold my Ford F150 and my older SUV and rolled two cars into this one. What a joy to own and drive. I'm getting in the low 20s for overall mileage and could not be happier. I take the covers off the back and get 20 bales of hay in with no problem. It hauls out two horse trailer as easy as can be. The interior room is wonderful great to take a trip in. I love the overall looks of it.

Favorite Features

Ride. Covered area. Mid gate. Looks

Avalanche Coninues to be the best!
By chevyforever

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Have had my Avalanche for almost 10 months now and I cannot imagine my life without it! I test drove toyota, honda, dodge, and my friend drives a 2004 f150 that has had 6 transmission replacements and 2 overdrive/ transfer cases replaced in 3 months of owning it. I have to say, I have had zero problems with this truck, other than the dealership not tightening my oil filter on good enough... I have the sun & sound package that has the bose sys and the sunroof. We go for a 3 hour drive to the beach we put every window down, the roof open, the back window out and the bose sys playin ur fav song it feels like a sports car and u just wanna step on the gas! Love this truck!!!

Favorite Features

Bose sys, sunroof, solid 1 piece body, huge tires, off roading capabilities, great gas mileage for a truck this size (avg 24.5 MPG hwy), convertibility of the truck, looks, power, comfort... list goes on and on... If ur debating about buying one... just go for it! u will be happy u did!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can say is an easier panel system on the back, and maybe some material upgrades, but they have done all that on the new model years... so I have to say no improvements... if anything get the engine up a few MPG but still great for a truck its size and weight!

Great Vehicle A real buy.
By ReelLove

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

LT2 & Z-71. This truck goes everywhere, anytime, in all conditions. 19+ mpg highway/13.5 mpg city. Will tow or haul most anything in style. Quiet ride, lots of luxury everywhere, auto everything, great stereo, easy to drive. This is my 2nd Avalanche. I am about to buy #3 (2009) Had only minor problems when new (1x in shop). Since new, just oil changes, rotate tires, and gas. I love the look too. Get a lot of compliments, even from high dollar car owners. If you find a clean low mileage Avalanche, buy it. Do not buy expecting great gas mileage. This is a big truck that is 4 wheel drive designed for work & hauling. Buy knowing that this is a 6700 lb truck with a big V8.

Favorite Features

#1: Midgate: Others wish they had this feature! #2: Bed Covers: What a great design. Easy to use and water tight too. #3: Bose Stereo. #4: Interior creature comforts: great seats, auto everything... I normally will take the Avalanche & leave the Mercedes at home. #5: Easy to drive & safety.

Suggested Improvements

Option for painted (matching) bed covers. Non-fading plastic on bed covers. Back up range sensor (I added an aftermarket, very hard to judge backing up w/o some form of sensor), integrated bumper step to access bed. Built in rechargeable flashlight. DC/AC inverter for tools.

Transmission
By Henry

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased the vehicle at 10 miles. Enjoyed the vehicle for almost three years when I started to have problems with the transmission. It would not shift properly. Fixed under extended 75,000 warranty. Few months later tranny went bad again. Bad part about I exceeded the coverage under the warranty and the tranny warranty;( The rest is history

Favorite Features

Enjoyed the way it handled for the time being

Suggested Improvements

Need to make better quality tranny parts.

Wish I would have bought one sooner
By Bobo

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Love the truck. Got new in 9/05 Not had a problem with mine. Rides great. No noise, no problems, plenty of power. 14-16 MPG in city 20- 24 Hwy. It's a heavy truck and I am happy with the MPG and the ride. Great truck. Want better MPG get a car but you won't have a truck. Want worse MPG buy a Ford.

Favorite Features

Side storage compartments. The Bermuda Blue paint.

Suggested Improvements

The black plastic spoiler and the bed covers have faded in the sun, spots of white. I was going to take it back to dealer before the warrenty ran out and get new covers and back spoiler but procrastination beat me to it.

Go Avalanche!
By steve

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great car with a very good ride. Beats the ride of Tahoe by a wide margin. Very comfortable with many applications and adaptability. Leather seats should be leather. Way too much vinyl for the price. Bose sound system is a joke for the money. Infinity in Mitsubishi's SUV blow it away.

Favorite Features

Adaptability. I am in the real estaste business and I can carry my clients and my equipment at the same time. I also fold it down for extended hunting trips. Great!

Suggested Improvements

Leather seats should mean leather. Bose sound system is way overrated.

3 yrs and still in love
By Sunburst05

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for 3 yrs and still would not trade it for a new one. It has been one of the best investments I have ever made.

Favorite Features

Comfortable and a great ride with plenty of power.