2005 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
05 Avalanche LT
By judahbenhuer on 12/17/11 12:49 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought an 89 Daytona Shelby when I was still on active duty; my intention to keep her forever. 8 years later and 2 children who outgrew the tiny seats had me searching the dealerships. I bought an 08 Dodge Quad Cab Big Horn over the summer, and one trip later realized my critical mistake. Using the mini-rear seats of the Daytona as a reference for something larger was a poor choice. One month later I was already scanning the dealership lots. I saw an 05 Avalanche (never, NEVER a fan of Chevy!)with 49,000 original miles- 1 owner, and the truck was nearly mint. The salesman prompted me to keep it overnight...he knew the outcome. She sure sits pretty in the driveway :)

Been a great vehicle for over 6 years now
By dakar1 on 10/05/11 07:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I really love my Avalanche. I bought it new and has been a great vehicle. I've had zero engine issues. things I've done are had to replace speedometer that sprung one day when it was about 10 below 0 outside. Had to have a airbag sensor replaced and replaced one of the oxygen sensors - which I found out is recommended after about 5 years anyway. Also a transmission solenoid was replaced, that was only $120 w/labor. I run the E85 a lot in the summer and I tow a heavy camper with it. Its not the best towing vehicle for something heavy but it gets by. I run Amsoil and engine still runs like new with 65k.

Piece of junk
By avalanche05 on 07/16/11 17:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Never will i buy a Avalanche again. bought because of features.it's a piece of junk there is a rattle in the front end my abs brake went the part is 600.00 to replace not including labor. now shocks in the front need replacing have had to replace o2 scensors brake calipers and so on... oh did i mention it only has 56,000 miles on it.and i paid way too much for a piece of junk

What a Joy to own and drive
By new chevy driver on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this used and have never ever looked back and said "Why" This is the perfect SUV/TRUCK for me. I sold my Ford F150 and my older SUV and rolled two cars into this one. What a joy to own and drive. I'm getting in the low 20s for overall mileage and could not be happier. I take the covers off the back and get 20 bales of hay in with no problem. It hauls out two horse trailer as easy as can be. The interior room is wonderful great to take a trip in. I love the overall looks of it.

Avalanche Coninues to be the best!
By chevyforever on 12/28/09 02:33 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Have had my Avalanche for almost 10 months now and I cannot imagine my life without it! I test drove toyota, honda, dodge, and my friend drives a 2004 f150 that has had 6 transmission replacements and 2 overdrive/ transfer cases replaced in 3 months of owning it. I have to say, I have had zero problems with this truck, other than the dealership not tightening my oil filter on good enough... I have the sun & sound package that has the bose sys and the sunroof. We go for a 3 hour drive to the beach we put every window down, the roof open, the back window out and the bose sys playin ur fav song it feels like a sports car and u just wanna step on the gas! Love this truck!!!

Great Vehicle A real buy.
By ReelLove on 12/10/09 12:31 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

LT2 & Z-71. This truck goes everywhere, anytime, in all conditions. 19+ mpg highway/13.5 mpg city. Will tow or haul most anything in style. Quiet ride, lots of luxury everywhere, auto everything, great stereo, easy to drive. This is my 2nd Avalanche. I am about to buy #3 (2009) Had only minor problems when new (1x in shop). Since new, just oil changes, rotate tires, and gas. I love the look too. Get a lot of compliments, even from high dollar car owners. If you find a clean low mileage Avalanche, buy it. Do not buy expecting great gas mileage. This is a big truck that is 4 wheel drive designed for work & hauling. Buy knowing that this is a 6700 lb truck with a big V8.

Transmission
By Henry on 07/15/09 23:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased the vehicle at 10 miles. Enjoyed the vehicle for almost three years when I started to have problems with the transmission. It would not shift properly. Fixed under extended 75,000 warranty. Few months later tranny went bad again. Bad part about I exceeded the coverage under the warranty and the tranny warranty;( The rest is history

Wish I would have bought one sooner
By Bobo on 11/06/08 14:34 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Love the truck. Got new in 9/05 Not had a problem with mine. Rides great. No noise, no problems, plenty of power. 14-16 MPG in city 20- 24 Hwy. It's a heavy truck and I am happy with the MPG and the ride. Great truck. Want better MPG get a car but you won't have a truck. Want worse MPG buy a Ford.

Go Avalanche!
By steve on 07/18/08 11:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great car with a very good ride. Beats the ride of Tahoe by a wide margin. Very comfortable with many applications and adaptability. Leather seats should be leather. Way too much vinyl for the price. Bose sound system is a joke for the money. Infinity in Mitsubishi's SUV blow it away.

3 yrs and still in love
By Sunburst05 on 07/12/08 21:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for 3 yrs and still would not trade it for a new one. It has been one of the best investments I have ever made.