2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews 6

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
A versatile truck
By Avy Owner on 05/11/05 13:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Many have suggested replacing the removable glass with a rear power window that retracts into the midgate. I like the existing design. By lowering the midgate, while leaving the glass and tonneau in place, I get extra load space AND protection from the elements. I love the adjustablity of the driver's seat, especially the lumbar support. It's the most comfortable seat I own. I've owned trucks with both the 5.7 and 5.3L engines. GM claims the 5.3 has more power and better economy. That has not been my experience. The 5.7 always felt like it had more grunt and got better mileage. This truck needs both. I average 14-15 mpg. On the whole, though, a great truck.

Multi-purpose Monster
By Marty on 03/18/05 13:01 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my new avalanche. I upgraded from a 2WD Sierra w/bare essentials to the Z-71 with every option except the DVD player($1200 not worth it). What a difference. This truck is suprisingly nimble, and the turning radius is less than that of extended cab trucks(ie-easier for my wife to park). Towing capacity is solid. We towed our Grand Prix on a car trailer(total lbs= 6900) from FLA to WA state, only stopping for 9 hours and driving for 66. There were times I forgot I was even towing. What a beast! The midgate is awesome. I've halled everything from drywall(full sheets) with the tailgate closed to 3 backhoe scoops of bark.

Outstanding Concept
By Bob on 01/10/05 15:47 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Owned a 2004 for a month. Pleasure to drive. Excellent ride. As a custom home builder need to pick up supplies very often. Avalanche converts to "truck" within 15 seconds and can easily put 9' long pieces of wood in it which are protected from the weather. Smartest vehicle buy I have ever made!

DISGUSTED DRIVER
By rscott on 12/17/04 22:07 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It is obvious that I got a lemon compared to the positive remarks I read about the truck. I had nothing but TROUBLE. It was first in shop over a month for AC replacement. Then Tires, Tires AGAIN. They never got the tires/wheels balanced correctly. They finally gave me a new set and I still had to take the truck back several times to try to keep the balance right! Then a shortage in the Radio. Problems with the CD player. Brakes were terrible. I can't leave out the fact that when I drove over 70MPH the speedomoter whould flip over to 120MPH!, never corrected.This was the worst vehicle I have owned and will NEVER buy a GM product again!

Love my Chevy
By Bush on 12/14/04 15:42 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I never thought I'd like the smaller bed but not once has it ever been an issue. I love the locking rear tailgate and hard cover. I go camping in the truck and simply lay down the back seat and put my pillow behind the front seats and feet out in the bed. It's secure and comfortable. I recommend the Avalanche to anyone looking for something different without giving up their truck. Believe it or not the locking boxes on the side are pretty cool too. I go boating and I also trailer motorcycles to the trails and it's a good place to store my straps and hitch. The lock too so my stuff is safe. Plenty of room for the family and plenty of power to pull my 4,500 pound boat through the hills.

This is wonderful
By shaun phares on 12/03/04 22:30 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I was doubtful when I first saw the Avalanche, but after I bought it, I realized it was the best vehicle I have ever bought. Believe me, I've owned a few. It has everything I could have wanted in a truck and then some.

My Chevrolet Avalanche
By drsmithmm on 11/16/04 14:19 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle is a joy to drive. Backing up, especially at night, is a little bit difficult due to restricted visibility. The rear window is vertically oriented, so lights from the instrument panel tend to glare off of it further reducing visibility. I have found that I must depend heavily on the side mirrors. I still would not give up this vehicle for the world, it is an absolute pleasure to own and drive.

The ultimate utility vehicle
By Mikey1234 on 11/12/04 08:59 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck. It will do anything you want it to. Take the kids to church or the movies, haul supplies from the Home Depot or Menards, take your toys to the lake or out in the wilderness, you name it. The ride is super smooth and handling is excellent. Go out and buy one and ENJOY!

Avalanche
By Hawke on 11/11/04 13:10 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Gets great mileage for a truck (about 20 mpg highway, but 18 in Atlanta traffic). Lots of room. Put the midgate down, and with a sleeping bag, the three teenagers can sleep while dad drives on long trips.

Love it
By Captain Jim on 11/11/04 10:39 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have loved these since they came out and finally got one.