Used 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Problems
By Richard

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've had intermediate steering shaft problems, replaced both Idler arms , water pump , blower modular, stereo, and now my transmission is burnt out I'm real disappointed. What happened to reliability and pride in workmanship. I paid cash for a truck loaded with problems. Dont buy this truck! After 3K miles the first truck was replaced because the steering problems could not be corrected. All the problem above are on the second truck. I've had it with this truck.

My Monster
By ka1zuko

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is my Tonka. I beat this thing and it has never let me down. I am typically hard on everything I have. This truck is no exception.

None, I love it as a whole

Auto tinting windows

Love my Truck
By mike

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love driving my truck, just don't like the gas mileage. The performance is more than I expected and the ride with the Z-66 suspension package is comparable to a top of the line luxury sedan. Since I have the 2 wheel drive version, during the winter I have found that adding three 70 lbs. bags of sand over the rear axle and a good set of all-terrain tires will keep this truck on the road even in heavy snow as long you don't try anything stupid.

Ability to convert from crew-cab to full length pick-up is great!

Need a little more leg room for the front seats when truck is in pick-up mode.

Nice
By will

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have been wanting one for a while, and I finally got one, and have not been out of it since. It is everything I imagined.

My favorite feature is the compartments on the bed of the truck. The storage space is great.

Problems
By mekastle

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We are having to replace the brakes every 20,000 miles. Dealer says that is normal. GM says they stand behind dealer. Would be unsafe to stand in front because brakes don't work. At same visit, tech says brakes shot, service manager says brakes ok. Three months later, brakes and rotor have to be replaced. GM says believe dealer? Two different stories, how can they believe both? I will never buy another GM product no matter how much I like the design. Nice to look at, practical design does not get me where I am going. If GM blindly accepts whatever the dealer says, I do not trust them and will no longer deal with them. No tears from me in they go bankrupt, maybe they deserve it.

Take responsibility for service problems and design flaws