Used 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Best I've Owned
By Sherry

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Leased this truck for work - I wasn't sure if I'd want to keep it long term. I drove it and bought it! I've stayed on the road during horrendous winter weather using only the stock tires. Hauled drywall, flooring, sod, dirt, rock, garbage - you name it - and it comes clean and looks great for the daily commute. With gas prices rising I've been thinking I should look at something cheaper to run but I don't want to - this is the best vehicle I've owned/driven in 30 years.

Flexibility of the midgate, towing and hauling capabilities.

Poor Transmission. They have problems
By Paul

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

As much as I love a lot of stuff about this car. Check out all the problems they have had with the transmission. Mine went after 65,000 miles. I have the tow package but I never towed anything. The warranty is crap. GM refused to give financial assistance because I didn't change the transmission fluid every 30-35,000 miles. How many of you do? I have always owned GM cars but this is my last. Quality has dropped like a rock. Funny they now have 100,000 mile warranty but I still will not by GM and I find more and more people saying the same thing.

This car is a lot of fun to drive, If it wasn't for my problems with the transmission and GM I would buy this again.

Better transmissions. Check out the problems with the transmissions on these trucks and GM never did a recall. This is my last GM car

I would buy another one
By Joe V

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased new almost 4 years ago. After 58,000 miles, I have not had one major repair. Changed oil and it goes. In nearly perfect condition, with original tires and brakes. Never a problem. The black plastic began to fade and the dealer refurbished it, under warranty without charge with an improved treatment. Every year me and 3 friends take it on our golf trip- 4 men, 4 sets of clubs and our luggage- and we usually take the clubs of the rest that fly down. Have hauled 10 foot sheets of drywall, skids of pavers and also trailered a huge camper approx 10,000 pounds. Reliable!

Secure compartment; water tight.

I would like to see the back seats have just a little more recline for loing trips. No one has complained- but it could be better.

Problems have been DIY easy
By Jeff

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Coming from owning a Wrangler, I wanted something fun, more comfortable, but still able to be modified to be unique. Other than those that leave theirs stock, the same year/color/body Avalanche can look completely different, which is fun. I didn't buy it because I thought I was going to get good gas mileage, so no complaints there, and the savings in insurance from all the airbags and such has offset that quite a bit. This is my 15th car in the 18 years that I have been driving, and other than my 1st car (69 Ford Mustang Fastback), it has been my favorite. I will drive it till the wheels fall off...then buy another one.

You know my favorite feature, having someone that owns a BMW or Mercedes or Jag/SAAB, Infinity, drive with me for a bit. They realize they dropped twice the money, when they could've not only had a 4 door car, but the occasional truck bed. I have converted 3 friends, all with more money than me.

The rear visibility is poor. In smaller spots, it's easier to back in, but with the mirrors (that change in reverse automatically) and all that, it's still hard to see where the back of the truck is due to the rake. But hey, it's a truck, get over it.

Best Vehicle I have ever owned
By Reed Fleming

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Avalanche just turned 109,000 miles. Zero problems, original brakes. Oil Changes (synthetic every 15,000 miles)

Seat, Bose sound

With gas at 3.50 per gallon I'd like better gas mileage. Remote locking for the tailgate and an electric rear window would be nice as well