Used 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

2004 Z71
By John Hopper

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned this vehicle for just over three years. Had to replace front shocks, fuel pumps, brakes all around. Have the "clunking" from the steering shafts, trouble with rear tailgate latches, poor fuel economy. But I love this truck, might not buy another one, but I still really like it.

Big, safe truck

Poor rear visibility

over 5 years on factory pads and countin
By avalanche ga

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Nice ride, very versatile for hauling, great looks.

midgate and smooth ride for truck. locking diff helps out in mud or pulling boats from the lake.

Bose system should be standard. A way to see behind when backing would be nice. Love this truck.

Very Happy
By SA

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this as a pre-owned vehicle to supplement my prior truck on account of a growing family. It has been excellent! I am pleased that its value still exceeds what I paid for it. We recently purchased a travel trailer, and it tows with an ease that makes one feel a trailer is not present. The only repair I have had is the power window motor on the passenger door - a common problem with GM trucks.

Comfort, room, user friendly gauges and knobs, visibility, power

Better rear visibility, less plastic

Great - features no other vehicle has!
By KB

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our truck new and have driven it for 5 yrs. My husband just had an accident, rolled the truck twice, and both driver and passenger survived (well) in what onlookers thought would be a fatality. The structure of the truck saved them. Very comfortable on long drives, love the interior, flexibility of car to truck. Great for farm, pulling trailer, 4x4, dogs, people, you name it - it does it. Added backup sensors - well worth the cost as it's hard to see with backing up. Would love to buy another one!

Design - Converting back seat to long bed truck; ability to have 1 or 2 sections of the cover off depending on what you're carrying. Really comfortable interior - great ride. Very safe.

Rubber seal around the back window sags/droops - have seen this on other Avalanches as well (happened right away). Black cover fades.

Transmission Stinks
By Keith trovillion

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The transmission on this vehicle went after only 2 1/2 years, and at 42,000 miles. I don't tow with it, or use it for work. Most of the miles on it are highway, none off road or abusive. Chevy didn't want to know anything. They told me I should have purchased an extended warranty. This in my opinion, is telling me that they know the Chevy Avalanche is substandard and I will have problems with it. I don't know of any car company that backs their product less then Chevrolet. I'm very disappointed with Chevy.

The Avalanche has the potential of being a great all round vehicle. They just need Honda or Toyota to make it for them, the right way

Transmission and a better warranty. If they build quality they would be confident in their product and give a better warranty like other companies