2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
Best I've Owned
By Sherry on 06/07/08 17:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Leased this truck for work - I wasn't sure if I'd want to keep it long term. I drove it and bought it! I've stayed on the road during horrendous winter weather using only the stock tires. Hauled drywall, flooring, sod, dirt, rock, garbage - you name it - and it comes clean and looks great for the daily commute. With gas prices rising I've been thinking I should look at something cheaper to run but I don't want to - this is the best vehicle I've owned/driven in 30 years.

Poor Transmission. They have problems
By Paul on 04/27/08 05:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

As much as I love a lot of stuff about this car. Check out all the problems they have had with the transmission. Mine went after 65,000 miles. I have the tow package but I never towed anything. The warranty is crap. GM refused to give financial assistance because I didn't change the transmission fluid every 30-35,000 miles. How many of you do? I have always owned GM cars but this is my last. Quality has dropped like a rock. Funny they now have 100,000 mile warranty but I still will not by GM and I find more and more people saying the same thing.

I would buy another one
By Joe V on 01/25/08 18:04 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased new almost 4 years ago. After 58,000 miles, I have not had one major repair. Changed oil and it goes. In nearly perfect condition, with original tires and brakes. Never a problem. The black plastic began to fade and the dealer refurbished it, under warranty without charge with an improved treatment. Every year me and 3 friends take it on our golf trip- 4 men, 4 sets of clubs and our luggage- and we usually take the clubs of the rest that fly down. Have hauled 10 foot sheets of drywall, skids of pavers and also trailered a huge camper approx 10,000 pounds. Reliable!

Problems have been DIY easy
By Jeff on 11/08/07 18:57 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Coming from owning a Wrangler, I wanted something fun, more comfortable, but still able to be modified to be unique. Other than those that leave theirs stock, the same year/color/body Avalanche can look completely different, which is fun. I didn't buy it because I thought I was going to get good gas mileage, so no complaints there, and the savings in insurance from all the airbags and such has offset that quite a bit. This is my 15th car in the 18 years that I have been driving, and other than my 1st car (69 Ford Mustang Fastback), it has been my favorite. I will drive it till the wheels fall off...then buy another one.

Best Vehicle I have ever owned
By Reed Fleming on 04/14/07 23:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Avalanche just turned 109,000 miles. Zero problems, original brakes. Oil Changes (synthetic every 15,000 miles)

Problems
By Richard on 03/06/07 02:15 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've had intermediate steering shaft problems, replaced both Idler arms , water pump , blower modular, stereo, and now my transmission is burnt out I'm real disappointed. What happened to reliability and pride in workmanship. I paid cash for a truck loaded with problems. Dont buy this truck! After 3K miles the first truck was replaced because the steering problems could not be corrected. All the problem above are on the second truck. I've had it with this truck.

My Monster
By ka1zuko on 01/16/07 12:33 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is my Tonka. I beat this thing and it has never let me down. I am typically hard on everything I have. This truck is no exception.

Love my Truck
By mike on 01/11/07 08:10 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love driving my truck, just don't like the gas mileage. The performance is more than I expected and the ride with the Z-66 suspension package is comparable to a top of the line luxury sedan. Since I have the 2 wheel drive version, during the winter I have found that adding three 70 lbs. bags of sand over the rear axle and a good set of all-terrain tires will keep this truck on the road even in heavy snow as long you don't try anything stupid.

Nice
By will on 12/24/06 16:39 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have been wanting one for a while, and I finally got one, and have not been out of it since. It is everything I imagined.

Problems
By mekastle on 12/07/06 14:09 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We are having to replace the brakes every 20,000 miles. Dealer says that is normal. GM says they stand behind dealer. Would be unsafe to stand in front because brakes don't work. At same visit, tech says brakes shot, service manager says brakes ok. Three months later, brakes and rotor have to be replaced. GM says believe dealer? Two different stories, how can they believe both? I will never buy another GM product no matter how much I like the design. Nice to look at, practical design does not get me where I am going. If GM blindly accepts whatever the dealer says, I do not trust them and will no longer deal with them. No tears from me in they go bankrupt, maybe they deserve it.