Used 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Most Helpful|
Transmission Stinks
By Keith trovillion

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The transmission on this vehicle went after only 2 1/2 years, and at 42,000 miles. I don't tow with it, or use it for work. Most of the miles on it are highway, none off road or abusive. Chevy didn't want to know anything. They told me I should have purchased an extended warranty. This in my opinion, is telling me that they know the Chevy Avalanche is substandard and I will have problems with it. I don't know of any car company that backs their product less then Chevrolet. I'm very disappointed with Chevy.

Favorite Features

The Avalanche has the potential of being a great all round vehicle. They just need Honda or Toyota to make it for them, the right way

Suggested Improvements

Transmission and a better warranty. If they build quality they would be confident in their product and give a better warranty like other companies

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4
By Gus

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My first impression was how dumb it was to merge an suv and truck. I test drove it and I fell in love. Like me, I don't work construction or in a farm and I don't tow heavy but have a good size family. This vehicle is intended for those city dwellers that like to camp, drive on vacation or have to take a trip to the dump. It has been so wonderful to be able to provide such a diversity when needed and GM had given me the tool. I replaced items that I feel I wanted to change to have peace of mind and not because the manual says so. It has not leaked, stopped cause any issues let alone a check engine light.

Favorite Features

Exterior cladding because it has been hit at the market many times and not dents or scratches. However, I can't speak for theirs. Great reliability, versatility overall appearance and handling. My kids love the rear window out and sunroof opened.

Suggested Improvements

Due to the poor design of the rear visibility, why not provide a rear sensor or back up camera for safety purposes. Provide a bit more room in the cabin, especially when the rear seats are down.

Best Vehicle in 40 Years of Driving
By Allen

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This Chevy Avalanche is the best vehicle I've owned in more than 40 years of driving. It is reliable, comfortable and versatile. I've changed the oil regularly, put on one set of tires, one battery and a set of shocks - no other maintenance or repairs in more than five years of ownership. Truck is like a rolling fortress safe and reliable in all weather. Ride quality similar to our Jag XJ8 but with the capacity to haul the Jag on a trailer. Incredible vehicle.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, flexibility, reliability, great pulling capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy would be nice but it is comparable with other trucks and SUVs.

Great - features no other vehicle has!
By KB

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our truck new and have driven it for 5 yrs. My husband just had an accident, rolled the truck twice, and both driver and passenger survived (well) in what onlookers thought would be a fatality. The structure of the truck saved them. Very comfortable on long drives, love the interior, flexibility of car to truck. Great for farm, pulling trailer, 4x4, dogs, people, you name it - it does it. Added backup sensors - well worth the cost as it's hard to see with backing up. Would love to buy another one!

Favorite Features

Design - Converting back seat to long bed truck; ability to have 1 or 2 sections of the cover off depending on what you're carrying. Really comfortable interior - great ride. Very safe.

Suggested Improvements

Rubber seal around the back window sags/droops - have seen this on other Avalanches as well (happened right away). Black cover fades.

First Pickup, Love it
By browrck

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the first pickup, I have ever had. Great ideal with the Midgate, it was the deal maker. I have had about 20 different vehile, ranging from BMW to Range Rover. Loved my Range Rover, but was to small, so the Alavanche fit the bill. Have 77,600 miles on it an only routine maintanices. Put gas in it change the oil an go. Which, my Range Rover was that reliablied,