Used 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Transformer
By dij836

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 1st truck purchase and it was the BEST decision I ever made! I LOVE this truck it handles just like a car and I can back into parking spots with ease. This is a perfect car that will last me a until I get a new one.

Favorite Features

I love the space in the cab, I love the design of the truck. This is my TRANSFORMER!

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo system and speakers but I'm not complaining.

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4
By Gus

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My first impression was how dumb it was to merge an suv and truck. I test drove it and I fell in love. Like me, I don't work construction or in a farm and I don't tow heavy but have a good size family. This vehicle is intended for those city dwellers that like to camp, drive on vacation or have to take a trip to the dump. It has been so wonderful to be able to provide such a diversity when needed and GM had given me the tool. I replaced items that I feel I wanted to change to have peace of mind and not because the manual says so. It has not leaked, stopped cause any issues let alone a check engine light.

Favorite Features

Exterior cladding because it has been hit at the market many times and not dents or scratches. However, I can't speak for theirs. Great reliability, versatility overall appearance and handling. My kids love the rear window out and sunroof opened.

Suggested Improvements

Due to the poor design of the rear visibility, why not provide a rear sensor or back up camera for safety purposes. Provide a bit more room in the cabin, especially when the rear seats are down.

Some things to Consider
By Matt

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Avalanche in 2006 and have had it until present. I have put quite of bit of miles on it, and seems to be doing just fine. The transmission did go out at 116k miles because of the four wheel sticking in between 2wd an 4wd. All in all this is a really good driving truck, makes parking lots a breeze to pull into, and can handle when you press the gas pedal through the floor as well. You can't go wrong with it if your wanting a SUV and Truck together.

Favorite Features

The steering wheel audio controls are the best, dual climate control, turning radius, and how the back glass comes out along with mid-gate folding down. The back glass is easily stored onto the mid-gate. The sound system is great as well because of the Bose.

Suggested Improvements

The push button 4 wheel drive should have been designed better along with motor that controls the engaging, better fuel economy, should have out the 5.7 L instead of the 5.3 L, and GM should have used the 4L80E trans instead of the 4l60E to pull its mass.

Believe all of the good stuff
By Ron M

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Av new in 2004. GM should have named it the Transformer. There isn't anything I can't do with this truck. I carry full sheets of plywood and sheetrock (and it stays dry in the rain). I've carried firewood, gravel and anything else a regular truck does. I've gone camping with four others in the passenger compartment, my four wheeler in the back, two canoes on top, towing four wheelers and gear on the trailer behind. I live in Maine and the Av keeps me cool when it's in the high nineties and toasty warm when it's forty something below. It stays on the road during a blizzard like a bengal tiger on it's next meal. I will own this Av forever. Really. I still own my '72 Dodge Demon.

Favorite Features

When I have to decide which vehicle to take, I choose between: The work truck. The play truck. The five passenger family vehicle. The vehicle with the great Bose sound system. The truck that's great in snow and any other type of weather. The one that's the most fun to drive. I'll take my Avalanche

Suggested Improvements

The '02 also has two lights in the back, my '04 only one. I would put a key slot in the passenger side door. I would change the cup holders in the center console. We sit side by side, the cup holders are front and back. Why? My wife's Tahoe and a friend's '02 Av are side by side. This one bugs me.

Try and top it!
By Randall

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this Z71 4WD Avalanche new and have enjoyed excellent reliability. It has always run flawlessly. I usually trade every couple of years due to boredom or a more desirable rig, but I haven't been able to find anything that compares to the ride, performance, and awesome design. People are amazed at how much room it has with the bed fully extended. More than a long bed pickup! I highly recommend the Avalanche to anyone looking for a great all around truck.

Favorite Features

I can remove the rear window (it stows neatly in the mid-gate) and get an open air feel. Or lower the mid-gate and haul an 8' couch or sheet of plywood with the tailgate closed.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage, but it does pretty good for a large vehicle, about 17 MPG average.