2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2004 Avalanche Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Sort Reviews by

2004 Z71
By John Hopper

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned this vehicle for just over three years. Had to replace front shocks, fuel pumps, brakes all around. Have the "clunking" from the steering shafts, trouble with rear tailgate latches, poor fuel economy. But I love this truck, might not buy another one, but I still really like it.

Favorite Features

Big, safe truck

Suggested Improvements

Poor rear visibility

over 5 years on factory pads and countin
By avalanche ga

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Nice ride, very versatile for hauling, great looks.

Favorite Features

midgate and smooth ride for truck. locking diff helps out in mud or pulling boats from the lake.

Suggested Improvements

Bose system should be standard. A way to see behind when backing would be nice. Love this truck.

Very Happy
By SA

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this as a pre-owned vehicle to supplement my prior truck on account of a growing family. It has been excellent! I am pleased that its value still exceeds what I paid for it. We recently purchased a travel trailer, and it tows with an ease that makes one feel a trailer is not present. The only repair I have had is the power window motor on the passenger door - a common problem with GM trucks.

Favorite Features

Comfort, room, user friendly gauges and knobs, visibility, power

Suggested Improvements

Better rear visibility, less plastic

Great - features no other vehicle has!
By KB

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our truck new and have driven it for 5 yrs. My husband just had an accident, rolled the truck twice, and both driver and passenger survived (well) in what onlookers thought would be a fatality. The structure of the truck saved them. Very comfortable on long drives, love the interior, flexibility of car to truck. Great for farm, pulling trailer, 4x4, dogs, people, you name it - it does it. Added backup sensors - well worth the cost as it's hard to see with backing up. Would love to buy another one!

Favorite Features

Design - Converting back seat to long bed truck; ability to have 1 or 2 sections of the cover off depending on what you're carrying. Really comfortable interior - great ride. Very safe.

Suggested Improvements

Rubber seal around the back window sags/droops - have seen this on other Avalanches as well (happened right away). Black cover fades.

Transmission Stinks
By Keith trovillion

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The transmission on this vehicle went after only 2 1/2 years, and at 42,000 miles. I don't tow with it, or use it for work. Most of the miles on it are highway, none off road or abusive. Chevy didn't want to know anything. They told me I should have purchased an extended warranty. This in my opinion, is telling me that they know the Chevy Avalanche is substandard and I will have problems with it. I don't know of any car company that backs their product less then Chevrolet. I'm very disappointed with Chevy.

Favorite Features

The Avalanche has the potential of being a great all round vehicle. They just need Honda or Toyota to make it for them, the right way

Suggested Improvements

Transmission and a better warranty. If they build quality they would be confident in their product and give a better warranty like other companies

The best Chevy yet
By jason

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have only had this truck for a while. Made a mistake once we traded for a Jeep. As soon as it was possible we traded back! Now we are happy again. We are a family of 4 and we also have friends that we haul around. Plus I work in the oil patch so I put this truck through the wringer. When gone it sits for days on end in all weather. Plus the trip there and back on of road and no roads. At home it gets put through the family and helping others. Love this truck, it works hard and looks good doing it.

Favorite Features

The truck has too many to list

Suggested Improvements

Larger engine. powered back window. This is for all Chevy trucks, raise them up higher.

Best truck since sliced bread
By Pete

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought mine used, could'nt afford a new one. This is the best truck/car/ SUV or whatever on the market. It's loaded, everything you could want from Detroit. 15mpg town, 20-22 mpg highway. Plenty of power to tow and lots of room. Plus it has a built in ice chest.

Favorite Features

Power everything. No cladding!

Suggested Improvements

Power mid-gate rear window.

Great truck, but...
By Cmac

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is absolutely great. The ride is surprisingly comfortable, and it is plenty of room for my entire family. I have had two problems that the dealership can not fix, but are not a major problem because I am the only one who drives. The memory seats do not retain their settings, and the CD repeat feature does not work as expected. It seems to play all the tracks up until you hit repeat. The first problem is only a nuisance if my wife happens to hop in to take it for a spin since we are on opposite ends of the height scale.

Favorite Features

Midgate with removable rear window.

Suggested Improvements

More pedal distance for adjusting pedals in/out.

Great Vehicle
By Russell McPeake

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Z66 new, it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have over 124,00 miles on it, have done no repairs at all, just maintenance. I still have the original brakes and they were checked when I put new tires on a couple of months ago and they still have 65% of the pads left. I have room for 5 people and can carry all their luggage and then some. I didn't buy it for the gas mileage, but I just drove on vacation and got around 19 mpg, and that was both highway and riding around mileage. I cant complain.

Favorite Features

Comfort and ride. My mother has a Cadillac that she bought the day before I bought my Avalanche, and my truck rides as good as her car.

Suggested Improvements

I cant think of anything I would change.

I love my truck!
By CherryChevys

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Haven't had any problems out of it except for the HVAC control door. I still get heat and a/c, but it comes out of the windshield defrostor vent.

Favorite Features

Off-road ability. I've gone twice the places in this thing than I did in my Jeep. The 4Lo 4Hi, and AWD auto settings works great together. When ever I start to get stuck i can just run though the settings, and get myself out!

Suggested Improvements

For the Z71 Id make it a little higher, and more powerful, and I'd intergrate a GM factory adjustable brake controller for the vehicle, it would probably work a lot better than the aftermarket ones.