Used 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Most Helpful|
Best Vehicle Ever Owned
By FredTem

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After driving this truck for the last couple of months, it has become my favorite vehicle ever. I have owned 8 different vehicles (Passat, Jetta, Corolla, Ranger, Grand Cherokee, 633CSI, and a Broncho) in the last 14 years, but this is my first GM product and my favorite out of the bunch. GM succeeded in making a believer out of me. Comfortable ride, easy to use gauages, and commanding view of the road as well as a very capable off the showroom floor 4x4 system. I have recommend at least test driving one if you are in the market for a new truck.

Favorite Features

Steering Wheel controls,mid-gate, and XM radio!!

Suggested Improvements

Living in California, of course improved gas mileage. Better quality dash materials.

Go Avy
By AVVY

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The Avy is a great vehicle! My only complaint is the fuel cost, but that is because I bought it before gas went through the roof. The ride is great and smooth, and there are a ton of features I love. I use it as a pickup often, and always get what I need done. I recommend this truck to anyone that likes a bit of luxury with the versitility of a pickup truck

Favorite Features

I live in Chicago, so the heated seats are great, but that doesn't set it apart from other vehicles. The panelled bed has to be the best feature, since a person really can't get that with any other vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the plastic cladding! I went with one without the cladding and am so happy I did. Have a friend who got rear ended at like 5mph, and the damage was in the thousands. It looks horrific and serves no purpose. It's amazing they charge extra for that.

Transmission Stinks
By Keith trovillion

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The transmission on this vehicle went after only 2 1/2 years, and at 42,000 miles. I don't tow with it, or use it for work. Most of the miles on it are highway, none off road or abusive. Chevy didn't want to know anything. They told me I should have purchased an extended warranty. This in my opinion, is telling me that they know the Chevy Avalanche is substandard and I will have problems with it. I don't know of any car company that backs their product less then Chevrolet. I'm very disappointed with Chevy.

Favorite Features

The Avalanche has the potential of being a great all round vehicle. They just need Honda or Toyota to make it for them, the right way

Suggested Improvements

Transmission and a better warranty. If they build quality they would be confident in their product and give a better warranty like other companies

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4
By Gus

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My first impression was how dumb it was to merge an suv and truck. I test drove it and I fell in love. Like me, I don't work construction or in a farm and I don't tow heavy but have a good size family. This vehicle is intended for those city dwellers that like to camp, drive on vacation or have to take a trip to the dump. It has been so wonderful to be able to provide such a diversity when needed and GM had given me the tool. I replaced items that I feel I wanted to change to have peace of mind and not because the manual says so. It has not leaked, stopped cause any issues let alone a check engine light.

Favorite Features

Exterior cladding because it has been hit at the market many times and not dents or scratches. However, I can't speak for theirs. Great reliability, versatility overall appearance and handling. My kids love the rear window out and sunroof opened.

Suggested Improvements

Due to the poor design of the rear visibility, why not provide a rear sensor or back up camera for safety purposes. Provide a bit more room in the cabin, especially when the rear seats are down.

Best Vehicle in 40 Years of Driving
By Allen

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This Chevy Avalanche is the best vehicle I've owned in more than 40 years of driving. It is reliable, comfortable and versatile. I've changed the oil regularly, put on one set of tires, one battery and a set of shocks - no other maintenance or repairs in more than five years of ownership. Truck is like a rolling fortress safe and reliable in all weather. Ride quality similar to our Jag XJ8 but with the capacity to haul the Jag on a trailer. Incredible vehicle.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, flexibility, reliability, great pulling capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy would be nice but it is comparable with other trucks and SUVs.