Used 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

A versatile truck
By Avy Owner

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Many have suggested replacing the removable glass with a rear power window that retracts into the midgate. I like the existing design. By lowering the midgate, while leaving the glass and tonneau in place, I get extra load space AND protection from the elements. I love the adjustablity of the driver's seat, especially the lumbar support. It's the most comfortable seat I own. I've owned trucks with both the 5.7 and 5.3L engines. GM claims the 5.3 has more power and better economy. That has not been my experience. The 5.7 always felt like it had more grunt and got better mileage. This truck needs both. I average 14-15 mpg. On the whole, though, a great truck.

Favorite Features

Driver's seat, midgate, tonneau, redundant controls, adjustable peddles, WBH (Without Body Hardware) - i.e., no cladding

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage, more power (especially low-end), redesign front end and, especially, the flying buttress behind the C-pillar, better rear visibility

Multi-purpose Monster
By Marty

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my new avalanche. I upgraded from a 2WD Sierra w/bare essentials to the Z-71 with every option except the DVD player($1200 not worth it). What a difference. This truck is suprisingly nimble, and the turning radius is less than that of extended cab trucks(ie-easier for my wife to park). Towing capacity is solid. We towed our Grand Prix on a car trailer(total lbs= 6900) from FLA to WA state, only stopping for 9 hours and driving for 66. There were times I forgot I was even towing. What a beast! The midgate is awesome. I've halled everything from drywall(full sheets) with the tailgate closed to 3 backhoe scoops of bark.

Favorite Features

Full feature heated seats. Torque, mid-gate feature. Locking tailgate. XM, Bose, locking toolboxes, audio controls on steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

A back up radar system similar to the Ford escape. It is difficult to back up since the rear sits so high. Upgrade the hitch capacity.

Outstanding Concept
By Bob

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Owned a 2004 for a month. Pleasure to drive. Excellent ride. As a custom home builder need to pick up supplies very often. Avalanche converts to "truck" within 15 seconds and can easily put 9' long pieces of wood in it which are protected from the weather. Smartest vehicle buy I have ever made!

Favorite Features

Ability to convert to truck within 15 secs.

Suggested Improvements

None yet!

DISGUSTED DRIVER
By rscott

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It is obvious that I got a lemon compared to the positive remarks I read about the truck. I had nothing but TROUBLE. It was first in shop over a month for AC replacement. Then Tires, Tires AGAIN. They never got the tires/wheels balanced correctly. They finally gave me a new set and I still had to take the truck back several times to try to keep the balance right! Then a shortage in the Radio. Problems with the CD player. Brakes were terrible. I can't leave out the fact that when I drove over 70MPH the speedomoter whould flip over to 120MPH!, never corrected.This was the worst vehicle I have owned and will NEVER buy a GM product again!

Favorite Features

Interior design and comfort. Covered truck bed panels and built in step in bumpers made access easy.

Suggested Improvements

Tires, brakes, stereo, more HP.

Love my Chevy
By Bush

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I never thought I'd like the smaller bed but not once has it ever been an issue. I love the locking rear tailgate and hard cover. I go camping in the truck and simply lay down the back seat and put my pillow behind the front seats and feet out in the bed. It's secure and comfortable. I recommend the Avalanche to anyone looking for something different without giving up their truck. Believe it or not the locking boxes on the side are pretty cool too. I go boating and I also trailer motorcycles to the trails and it's a good place to store my straps and hitch. The lock too so my stuff is safe. Plenty of room for the family and plenty of power to pull my 4,500 pound boat through the hills.

Favorite Features

Locking rear tailgate and hard cover