2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
First Pickup, Love it
By browrck on 06/06/12 18:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the first pickup, I have ever had. Great ideal with the Midgate, it was the deal maker. I have had about 20 different vehile, ranging from BMW to Range Rover. Loved my Range Rover, but was to small, so the Alavanche fit the bill. Have 77,600 miles on it an only routine maintanices. Put gas in it change the oil an go. Which, my Range Rover was that reliablied,

GM Hit a Home Run Here
By browrck on 09/10/11 13:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I kove this combination of the midgate, was looking at the Ford X150. After, my Account told me to look at the Avalanche, I know why he my Account he does his homework and look at the number. Don't thing the Ford X150 is a nice pickup. The midgate on the Alavanche is the deal maker. It my daily driver how. Had a Big Range Rover, great ride; but was a big family wagon, not a useful 3th vehicle for my family. Also, have a Mecerdes sl for nice sunny day and weekend drives. Range Rover was a nice vehicle with a great ride. However, the Alvanche is so many type's of vehicle in one package. Brought may 2 year old 73,000 miles on it. Getting ready to buy another one a 2007 or 2008 like the new body

Transformer
By dij836 on 08/11/10 10:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 1st truck purchase and it was the BEST decision I ever made! I LOVE this truck it handles just like a car and I can back into parking spots with ease. This is a perfect car that will last me a until I get a new one.

over 5 years on factory pads and countin
By avalanche ga on 10/23/09 14:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Nice ride, very versatile for hauling, great looks.

Best truck since sliced bread
By Pete on 12/02/08 13:30 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought mine used, could'nt afford a new one. This is the best truck/car/ SUV or whatever on the market. It's loaded, everything you could want from Detroit. 15mpg town, 20-22 mpg highway. Plenty of power to tow and lots of room. Plus it has a built in ice chest.

Great truck, but...
By Cmac on 11/23/08 19:26 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is absolutely great. The ride is surprisingly comfortable, and it is plenty of room for my entire family. I have had two problems that the dealership can not fix, but are not a major problem because I am the only one who drives. The memory seats do not retain their settings, and the CD repeat feature does not work as expected. It seems to play all the tracks up until you hit repeat. The first problem is only a nuisance if my wife happens to hop in to take it for a spin since we are on opposite ends of the height scale.

Great Vehicle
By Russell McPeake on 07/27/08 18:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Z66 new, it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have over 124,00 miles on it, have done no repairs at all, just maintenance. I still have the original brakes and they were checked when I put new tires on a couple of months ago and they still have 65% of the pads left. I have room for 5 people and can carry all their luggage and then some. I didn't buy it for the gas mileage, but I just drove on vacation and got around 19 mpg, and that was both highway and riding around mileage. I cant complain.

Poor Transmission. They have problems
By Paul on 04/27/08 05:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

As much as I love a lot of stuff about this car. Check out all the problems they have had with the transmission. Mine went after 65,000 miles. I have the tow package but I never towed anything. The warranty is crap. GM refused to give financial assistance because I didn't change the transmission fluid every 30-35,000 miles. How many of you do? I have always owned GM cars but this is my last. Quality has dropped like a rock. Funny they now have 100,000 mile warranty but I still will not by GM and I find more and more people saying the same thing.

Best Vehicle I have ever owned
By Reed Fleming on 04/14/07 23:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Avalanche just turned 109,000 miles. Zero problems, original brakes. Oil Changes (synthetic every 15,000 miles)

Problems
By Richard on 03/06/07 02:15 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've had intermediate steering shaft problems, replaced both Idler arms , water pump , blower modular, stereo, and now my transmission is burnt out I'm real disappointed. What happened to reliability and pride in workmanship. I paid cash for a truck loaded with problems. Dont buy this truck! After 3K miles the first truck was replaced because the steering problems could not be corrected. All the problem above are on the second truck. I've had it with this truck.