Used 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Most Helpful|
Problems
By mekastle

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We are having to replace the brakes every 20,000 miles. Dealer says that is normal. GM says they stand behind dealer. Would be unsafe to stand in front because brakes don't work. At same visit, tech says brakes shot, service manager says brakes ok. Three months later, brakes and rotor have to be replaced. GM says believe dealer? Two different stories, how can they believe both? I will never buy another GM product no matter how much I like the design. Nice to look at, practical design does not get me where I am going. If GM blindly accepts whatever the dealer says, I do not trust them and will no longer deal with them. No tears from me in they go bankrupt, maybe they deserve it.

Suggested Improvements

Take responsibility for service problems and design flaws

general motors has sold us out
By jonboy

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

would not buy another one, fit is terrible, rattles, paint has blemishes, vehicle wanders all over road, transmission clunks, and the mileage is not what the manufacture says it is. The worst design i could have purchased. Neat concept but the bed leaks and the plastic is fading. Ok mr.goodwrench what's next.

Favorite Features

The size of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Have the vehicle built in america with a little higher quality control, Stop putting the dealers and customers second to fix things after the product is built. For 38k the thing should feed you breakfast in bed. Not Leak and rattle. There are no excuses for poor craftsmanship.

Problems
By Richard

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've had intermediate steering shaft problems, replaced both Idler arms , water pump , blower modular, stereo, and now my transmission is burnt out I'm real disappointed. What happened to reliability and pride in workmanship. I paid cash for a truck loaded with problems. Dont buy this truck! After 3K miles the first truck was replaced because the steering problems could not be corrected. All the problem above are on the second truck. I've had it with this truck.

horrible
By daviddandersonsr

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

this vehicle leaks loads of dust into the cab and bed, the torque is too low for large loads, the storage boxes on the outside of the bed are useless(leak dust and water), back seat room is very limited for an adult on an extended road trip, dvd player doesn't rotate to side views(you have to sit in the middle of the rear seat), rear radio controls are confusing to use, exterior plastic trim is poorly attached to the body and makes a lot of noise at road speed because it buffets in the wind, seats are hard and impossible to adjust to a comfortable position, you cannot load a 4-wheeler in the bed.

Favorite Features

my spouse likes the quiet and smooth ride. goody

Suggested Improvements

extend the rear seating area at least 12 inches and call me next time.

accident
By amviolinst07

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Driving on a simi busy street would be nothing with this vechile right? Well I got into an accident with this vehicle.. with a saturn car.. my car was totalled and the saturn only had a small dent in the side! I was turning at a light and the saturn ran the red light which then hit me.. i was on my way to pick up my baby thank god he wasnt in there with me!!

Favorite Features

it had nice features as far as radio and power everything but it was a good ride to just once u got into the hills it was a horrible ride!

Suggested Improvements

make the vechile out of metal like they used to it is just cheap plastic now a days..