2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2004 Avalanche Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Sort Reviews by

First Pickup, Love it
By browrck

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the first pickup, I have ever had. Great ideal with the Midgate, it was the deal maker. I have had about 20 different vehile, ranging from BMW to Range Rover. Loved my Range Rover, but was to small, so the Alavanche fit the bill. Have 77,600 miles on it an only routine maintanices. Put gas in it change the oil an go. Which, my Range Rover was that reliablied,

GM Hit a Home Run Here
By browrck

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I kove this combination of the midgate, was looking at the Ford X150. After, my Account told me to look at the Avalanche, I know why he my Account he does his homework and look at the number. Don't thing the Ford X150 is a nice pickup. The midgate on the Alavanche is the deal maker. It my daily driver how. Had a Big Range Rover, great ride; but was a big family wagon, not a useful 3th vehicle for my family. Also, have a Mecerdes sl for nice sunny day and weekend drives. Range Rover was a nice vehicle with a great ride. However, the Alvanche is so many type's of vehicle in one package. Brought may 2 year old 73,000 miles on it. Getting ready to buy another one a 2007 or 2008 like the new body

Best Vehicle in 40 Years of Driving
By Allen

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This Chevy Avalanche is the best vehicle I've owned in more than 40 years of driving. It is reliable, comfortable and versatile. I've changed the oil regularly, put on one set of tires, one battery and a set of shocks - no other maintenance or repairs in more than five years of ownership. Truck is like a rolling fortress safe and reliable in all weather. Ride quality similar to our Jag XJ8 but with the capacity to haul the Jag on a trailer. Incredible vehicle.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, flexibility, reliability, great pulling capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy would be nice but it is comparable with other trucks and SUVs.

Fun, Solid, and reliable at high milage
By mwedding

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck. I have owned 29 vehicles in my life, and this is clearly my favorite. I bought it with about 115K miles on it, and I will turn over 140K this week. The truck rides like an SUV, and I have hauled 1500 lbs of rocks and mulch. Take the back window out, open the sunroof and windows, and it is like driving around in an open air Jeep, but it is SO USEFUL. I take my family on vacation, pull trailers, and cruise drive the back roads. I think I will keep this truck longer than any vehicle I have ever owned... Maybe take it over 200K, I bought it expecting that I will put a transmission in it before 180K, we will see.

Favorite Features

removable back glass, water tight bed cover, auto 4wd, sunroof, molded "CHEVROLET" in the tailgate, in-dash CD changer....

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth instead of onstar system ability to stow the back glass w/o fully folding the rear seat fwd more engine options 1500, 2500, and Caddy each had one engine option.

Finaly
By Dog's love trucks.

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I traded my Harley in for a truck. Hey can't ride a bike in the snow. I love the way this truck rides. I used to have a Cadillac and this feels much like it. All the interior options really make this truck feel like a high end luxury vehicle. I find it has almost all the features that my wife's brand new 2010 mazda 3 has but three times the space and 4x4 too boot. That said this thing eats gas like a fat kid eats cake. And I don't get the plastic cladding on a 4x4. To me this is asking for trouble. However, That said I do love this truck and would recommend one to a friend. But one without cladding and maybe a newer one that gets better mpg.

Favorite Features

all the bells and whistles. The bed and all the " Pick up " features. and I love the Bose speakers. Air conditioner whoops as well. My westie dogs seem to love all the room in the back. Just wish they would take it easy on the leather.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the cladding and make the window side arm rests wider.

Transformer
By dij836

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 1st truck purchase and it was the BEST decision I ever made! I LOVE this truck it handles just like a car and I can back into parking spots with ease. This is a perfect car that will last me a until I get a new one.

Favorite Features

I love the space in the cab, I love the design of the truck. This is my TRANSFORMER!

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo system and speakers but I'm not complaining.

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4
By Gus

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My first impression was how dumb it was to merge an suv and truck. I test drove it and I fell in love. Like me, I don't work construction or in a farm and I don't tow heavy but have a good size family. This vehicle is intended for those city dwellers that like to camp, drive on vacation or have to take a trip to the dump. It has been so wonderful to be able to provide such a diversity when needed and GM had given me the tool. I replaced items that I feel I wanted to change to have peace of mind and not because the manual says so. It has not leaked, stopped cause any issues let alone a check engine light.

Favorite Features

Exterior cladding because it has been hit at the market many times and not dents or scratches. However, I can't speak for theirs. Great reliability, versatility overall appearance and handling. My kids love the rear window out and sunroof opened.

Suggested Improvements

Due to the poor design of the rear visibility, why not provide a rear sensor or back up camera for safety purposes. Provide a bit more room in the cabin, especially when the rear seats are down.

Some things to Consider
By Matt

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Avalanche in 2006 and have had it until present. I have put quite of bit of miles on it, and seems to be doing just fine. The transmission did go out at 116k miles because of the four wheel sticking in between 2wd an 4wd. All in all this is a really good driving truck, makes parking lots a breeze to pull into, and can handle when you press the gas pedal through the floor as well. You can't go wrong with it if your wanting a SUV and Truck together.

Favorite Features

The steering wheel audio controls are the best, dual climate control, turning radius, and how the back glass comes out along with mid-gate folding down. The back glass is easily stored onto the mid-gate. The sound system is great as well because of the Bose.

Suggested Improvements

The push button 4 wheel drive should have been designed better along with motor that controls the engaging, better fuel economy, should have out the 5.7 L instead of the 5.3 L, and GM should have used the 4L80E trans instead of the 4l60E to pull its mass.

Believe all of the good stuff
By Ron M

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Av new in 2004. GM should have named it the Transformer. There isn't anything I can't do with this truck. I carry full sheets of plywood and sheetrock (and it stays dry in the rain). I've carried firewood, gravel and anything else a regular truck does. I've gone camping with four others in the passenger compartment, my four wheeler in the back, two canoes on top, towing four wheelers and gear on the trailer behind. I live in Maine and the Av keeps me cool when it's in the high nineties and toasty warm when it's forty something below. It stays on the road during a blizzard like a bengal tiger on it's next meal. I will own this Av forever. Really. I still own my '72 Dodge Demon.

Favorite Features

When I have to decide which vehicle to take, I choose between: The work truck. The play truck. The five passenger family vehicle. The vehicle with the great Bose sound system. The truck that's great in snow and any other type of weather. The one that's the most fun to drive. I'll take my Avalanche

Suggested Improvements

The '02 also has two lights in the back, my '04 only one. I would put a key slot in the passenger side door. I would change the cup holders in the center console. We sit side by side, the cup holders are front and back. Why? My wife's Tahoe and a friend's '02 Av are side by side. This one bugs me.

Try and top it!
By Randall

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this Z71 4WD Avalanche new and have enjoyed excellent reliability. It has always run flawlessly. I usually trade every couple of years due to boredom or a more desirable rig, but I haven't been able to find anything that compares to the ride, performance, and awesome design. People are amazed at how much room it has with the bed fully extended. More than a long bed pickup! I highly recommend the Avalanche to anyone looking for a great all around truck.

Favorite Features

I can remove the rear window (it stows neatly in the mid-gate) and get an open air feel. Or lower the mid-gate and haul an 8' couch or sheet of plywood with the tailgate closed.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage, but it does pretty good for a large vehicle, about 17 MPG average.