Used 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

One Awesome Truck
By Anthony F. Dugo Jr.

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my Avalanche(Z-66) for 1 year now. I bought it used & I can tell you this is one awesome Chevy truck. It's bright red & a head turner. I get compliments all the time. It has everything but the kitchen sink in it. .It has a very comfortable ride for a truck . No other competitor can touch this baby! ! Even with the two wheel drive, she glides through the snow like Santa on his sleigh. It's a heavy truck, and tracks through the snow & mud with ease. . Although she likes her fuel, I did not but this vehicle for economy,but since installing a K&N filter and switching to premeium fuel, she runs like a dream. Went from 14.5 to 17.5 mpg. Thanks Chevy for one awesome truck! !

Favorite Features

Great interior layout. Back seats are comfortable for 3 adults. Everything is user friendly. . Nice Bose Stereo !

Suggested Improvements

Removable back window is great, but a pain to fold down seats & take out. Then have to go through same routine to re-install. Should work on some type of automatic retracable or hide- away window.

One versatile truck
By R Stephens

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I ordered My Avalanche while stationed in Japan without ever test driving one. I was not disappointed. We now live in Germany and get lots of attention and questions from the locals. It is definately one of the most comfortable trucks I've ever driven and it has no problems getting up to speed on the Autobahn. My only complaint is the speed limiter switch kicks in at about 100 MPH. Parking in German garages can be a little nerve racking with it's size, but it will fit. Since it is the only 4 wheeled vehicle we have here the ability to carry the family or lots of cargo is very nice. We wouldn't trade it for anything.

Favorite Features

Folding mid-gate for the option of seating or cargo.

Suggested Improvements

None really, but I would suggest blind spot mirrors for backing up. Also if you need a truck for hauling brush, dirt or anything like that, I wouldn't recommend the Avalanche. The small pieces get into the water drainage system and are difficult to get them all out.

2 1/2 yr review
By JC

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We'll I bought it because of the bed conversion capability. It seemed like a good idea, but in actuality more of a hassle to convert to full bed. The bed panels are a chore to remove and store. If you plan on using the full bed a lot, then get a regular pickup! No issues with the engine, but that's where it ends. In 2.5 years I've been to the dealer for new rotors and pads all around at 5,000 miles, steering shaft replacement, Bose radio replacement, rear window replacement, faded cladding, center mount brake light replacment, regrease steering shaft, failed rear end, and failed transmission. All fortunately covered under warranty except the tranny. I baby the thing. I've never towed or gone off road.

Favorite Features

The ride and seating comfort, 5.3L V8

Suggested Improvements

Do away with the cladding, add power rear window,

Awesome Avalanche
By fosty

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Plenty of room for the kids and cargo. Super power and what a ride. I love this Avalanche. Good job Chevrolet!

Favorite Features

Dual climate control is awesome. You set the temp you want and it maintains that temp. It always seems to direct the air to the right spot as well. It turns the defogger on when neccessary to keep the windows fog free.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I could suggest is to make the rear tailgate part of the power lock system. Other that that I love my Avalanche.

BEST TRUCK/SUV I HAVE OWEND
By JIMBO.SS454

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I HAVE ALLWAYS BEEN A GM FAN/NUT WHATEVER YOU WOULD LIKE TO CALL ME. I HAVE A 1970 2500 CAMPER SPECIAL FOR THE HARD WORK AND THE AVALANCHE IS MY DAILY WORK HORSE. I LOVE BOTH OF MY TRUCKS.

Favorite Features

THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST TRUCK/SUV CHEVY HAS EVER MADE

Suggested Improvements

POWER REAR WINDOW & SPLIT THE MIDGATE IN 40/60 LIKE THE REAR SEAT.