Used 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Only one major problem
By rtonon

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had an F150 before the Avalanche. The Avalanche's ride and quietness rivals that of a quality sedan. Bose stereo is incredible. Love the midgate and what it allows you to do. No other truck can do what this truck does. I've used this feature several times and am glad I had this vehicle. A negative would be having to move the fronts seats foward to allow the rear seat to fold down to fully lower the midgate. A removable rear seat headrest would solve the problem. I now have 71000 miles and have yet to do anything but normal oil changes. Brakes are original still. Still love the truck

Smoothness of ride and quietness and the functionality of the midgate.

Make use of the midgate without having to move the front seats forward. Fuel module went out at 80mph, shutting down EVERYTHING. Coasted to the shoulder and towed it to dealer. 3 days and $850 later, they found and repaired the problem. No answer on how or why it occurred. Ext. warr. next time!

Best All Around Vehicle
By Mr Wally

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have the Z66 Package with all the goodies. When I first tried out this vehicle, I was sold. We (wife and I) are snowbirds and travel back and forth from NY to FL very comfortably. Gas mileage could be better but we average about 19.5 on the road and 17 off. I like the convenience of having a pickup body available. I carried some 12' vinyl siding pcs. inside with the tailgate closed! Thanks Chevy

Ride, Looks, Convenience, Handling, most everything.

Fuel mileage and would like to have a diesel engine. I am looking at a 2006 but will maybe wait for the 2007s as I have heard the 5.3 could be replaced by the newer version 5.3 DOD for better mileage.

Excellent!
By EDWARDS

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Great comfortable ride, great towing performance, good fuel economy. I use this truck for towing a 28 foot trailer. Only time I needed service (besides regular service) was for the minor recalls by company. I am looking forward on getting the tent accessory for the back for camping. Rides better than my 2005 GM midsize. OnStar very good.

Dual temp control, computer organized system on accessories. Ride is great, Bose radio out of this world, heated seats in winter a must.

Tailgate lock from the driver controls would be helpfull. Need some type of mud flap for 17" tires.

2003 Avalanche
By Rick

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Love the truck. Runs great. An all around great utility vehicle. MPG is poor but what the truck does makes up for it.

Fold down back seat creates a full 8ft truck bed.

The interior is very poorly designed. The dash needs a total revamp. Looks like every other Chevy truck interior.

Best of both worlds
By wesg33

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the perfect vehicle for someone who needs a truck, but would rather have an SUV. I've had mine for almost three years now and still haven't seen a vehicle that I would rather have. In fact I'm thinking about trading this one in for a new one soon. I sometimes fold the midgate down, take off one panel, and am able to haul 12' metal studs. It's also nice to be able to haul 8' drywall or plywood completely dry. I don't use it for this very often, but it sure is nice in a pinch. I also love having the bed panels, it allows me to haul quite a few tools in the dry.

Bed cover, mid gate, side boxes, rear step in bumper

It would be great if the tailgate unlocked with the remote, I also think they should make the rear window roll down, instead of being removable(I think that I removed mine once- kind of a hassle)