Used 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Best All Around Vehicle
By Mr Wally

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have the Z66 Package with all the goodies. When I first tried out this vehicle, I was sold. We (wife and I) are snowbirds and travel back and forth from NY to FL very comfortably. Gas mileage could be better but we average about 19.5 on the road and 17 off. I like the convenience of having a pickup body available. I carried some 12' vinyl siding pcs. inside with the tailgate closed! Thanks Chevy

Ride, Looks, Convenience, Handling, most everything.

Fuel mileage and would like to have a diesel engine. I am looking at a 2006 but will maybe wait for the 2007s as I have heard the 5.3 could be replaced by the newer version 5.3 DOD for better mileage.

Excellent!
By EDWARDS

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Great comfortable ride, great towing performance, good fuel economy. I use this truck for towing a 28 foot trailer. Only time I needed service (besides regular service) was for the minor recalls by company. I am looking forward on getting the tent accessory for the back for camping. Rides better than my 2005 GM midsize. OnStar very good.

Dual temp control, computer organized system on accessories. Ride is great, Bose radio out of this world, heated seats in winter a must.

Tailgate lock from the driver controls would be helpfull. Need some type of mud flap for 17" tires.

2003 Avalanche
By Rick

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Love the truck. Runs great. An all around great utility vehicle. MPG is poor but what the truck does makes up for it.

Fold down back seat creates a full 8ft truck bed.

The interior is very poorly designed. The dash needs a total revamp. Looks like every other Chevy truck interior.

Best of both worlds
By wesg33

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the perfect vehicle for someone who needs a truck, but would rather have an SUV. I've had mine for almost three years now and still haven't seen a vehicle that I would rather have. In fact I'm thinking about trading this one in for a new one soon. I sometimes fold the midgate down, take off one panel, and am able to haul 12' metal studs. It's also nice to be able to haul 8' drywall or plywood completely dry. I don't use it for this very often, but it sure is nice in a pinch. I also love having the bed panels, it allows me to haul quite a few tools in the dry.

Bed cover, mid gate, side boxes, rear step in bumper

It would be great if the tailgate unlocked with the remote, I also think they should make the rear window roll down, instead of being removable(I think that I removed mine once- kind of a hassle)

Happy Owner
By Happy Owner

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Z66 Avalanche is the best truck I have ever owned, and I have had several over the years. I added a Gibson exhaust, K&N air filter and the computer adjustments. The truck runs awesome. The only problem I have had in 28,000 miles is the steering shaft, since it was replaced, nothing, not even brakes. It tows my trailer with two big bikes in it like nothing is even there. I recently added 20" wheels and I get lots of comments on the "green monster." The truck is comfortable for five adults and the ride is more like a car than a truck, very smooth. I use the fold down feature often, mostly leaving the rear window in place and folding the lower section (for ladders etc.). Excellent!!!

Drivers compartment is the best of any truck we looked at. My wife said the back seat has the most comfortable lean angle and leg room of all the trucks we looked at. I love the steering wheel mounted radio controls and the cruise control is right at your fingertips. Dependability is great!!

The larger, wider wheels I put on help the body sway around corners, I don't know if stiffer shocks might help, but may spoil the car like ride. Tough choice. Overall, the best vehicle I have ever owned.