Used 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Most Helpful|
Only one major problem
By rtonon

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had an F150 before the Avalanche. The Avalanche's ride and quietness rivals that of a quality sedan. Bose stereo is incredible. Love the midgate and what it allows you to do. No other truck can do what this truck does. I've used this feature several times and am glad I had this vehicle. A negative would be having to move the fronts seats foward to allow the rear seat to fold down to fully lower the midgate. A removable rear seat headrest would solve the problem. I now have 71000 miles and have yet to do anything but normal oil changes. Brakes are original still. Still love the truck

Favorite Features

Smoothness of ride and quietness and the functionality of the midgate.

Suggested Improvements

Make use of the midgate without having to move the front seats forward. Fuel module went out at 80mph, shutting down EVERYTHING. Coasted to the shoulder and towed it to dealer. 3 days and $850 later, they found and repaired the problem. No answer on how or why it occurred. Ext. warr. next time!

Most Awesome Truck!
By melissa

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck so much. It has been 100% reliable and for a V-8 gets excellent gas mileage. It still looks and drives like brand new! This has been the best drive of my life and I've owned 4 other Chevy trucks(they were great, too), a Ford and 2 Dodges (didn't keep them long!)This is by far the coolest looking Avalanche out there-my opinion. scores a solid 10!

Favorite Features

XM radio and sport leather seats and I love the panels that close up the bed and love the fold down partition that opens from the passenger area to the tail gate! also, love the Bose sound system! Rock on.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the seats in front reclined fully but it's not an issue, just the only tiny thing I could thing that would be more cool to have. Oh...Bluetooth would be really great and a way to plug in my ipod...which is probably already in the works for the 2008 models, right?

Squeek ,Rattle and Barely Roll
By DBLD

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Leather seats are very comfortable but heated seat on driver's side stoped working shortly after purchase. Interior squeaks and rattles all over!!! (dash,console,doors,etc.) MPG is horrible sticker said 12-16, this one gets 12.5 going down hill on the highway and that's on a good day!!Bed cover leaks like it's not even there!! Tranny and drive line pops,dangs and jerks carnival ride! I'm going bankrupt on fuel, trading for Ford or Dodge ASAP!!

Favorite Features

Leather seat comfort

Suggested Improvements

The whole truck...Front bumper to Rear bumper!!!

No Problems / Perfect for us
By Paul H.

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have owned this vehilce since new and used it to tow our 35' Travel Trailer extensively; a boat; & a U Haul Trailer. It has been perfect for this and has never given us a moments concern or worry. Without a doubt the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned - carried building materials; Christmas trees; helped my daughter's family move from Florida to Georgia including putting the ride-on mover on the truck bed with no problems. We have now done over 125k miles and I am still on the original brakes. We had one recurring warranty issue with the front steering 'rattling' but this was fixed by Chevrolet on the 2nd review.

Favorite Features

Versatility of the vehicle layout. Just like a Tahoe / Suburban inside with availability of 8' x 4' bed with center gate down. Powerful engine easily able to tow boat and trailer with confidence

Suggested Improvements

60/40 mid gate would have been nice - but back seats swabs are 60/40 which has been good enough for us.

Love the Avalanche but last 10,000 miles has been difficult!
By bill4516

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It is the best of both worlds. An SUV with the ability to haul stuff that you would not want in the back of your SUV. I 've hauled trees, plants, bags of fertilizer, and rocks.I own a 2003 Z66 with the cladding on the sides. At about the 100,000 mile mark the wheels just fell off. Not literally of course but it seemed that little stuff was going wrong all the time. My water pump went out, then my CD player, then my dash board lights, then the ever popular popping noise in the front end when you turn at slow speeds. Now I have a noise by my glovebox that sounds like someone dropping BB's on a tile floor over an over again. Still waiting on a fix for the popping noise. I still like it.

Favorite Features

Ride is very nice

Suggested Improvements

Noisey dashboard. too many pops and squeeks.